Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Surveillance camera server

Last response: in Storage
November 21, 2012 8:53:39 AM

I have been using an small old i3 toshiba laptop w a broken screen to run my blue iris Surveillance camera software. I am able to hide the laptop away in a spot in the back above some of the rack mount equipment out of sight. Sadly it seems that after 2 years of continuous running it finally has died :( 

SOooo does anyone have any hardware/computer recommendations as to how I should go about running this mini server? A rackmount/tower is too big. I'm thinking another laptop or maybe a tablet would be good but I need to consider the longevity of the unit and am unsure of the best in terms of what I am trying to do. Price range 200 - 300 $ Any suggestions on how to go about doing this welcome!

Requirements:
unit be on 24/7
Must be able to run blue iris and record data when motion is detected (fairly often)
Cameras connected are 2x USB and 2x Foscam via wireless Network

Thanks!

Best solution

June 4, 2013 6:19:54 PM

Hello! If your last laptop worked so well for you, why not try buying that again? I mean, it’s probably not that expensive anymore so you can afford to get a new one every two years. Also, you can upgrade it in a way that it can last much longer. Maybe get some cooling fans for it?
Or why not upgrade to a real surveillance system? It might cost less compared to buying a new laptop and upgrading it. And you’d get better quality too (most likely).
!