Sony Vaio K15 not getting address from Dlink router DHCP

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 7:10:12 AM

Hello,

I have 2 Sony Vaio K15 laptops with integrated 802.11b/g wireless. I
also have a Dlink DI-624 wireless router, another laptop with an
Orinoco 802.11b PCMCIA card and a PDA with wireless capability.

The laptop with the Orinoco card and the PDA both connect to the
wireless network without problems and they accept the address from the
router's DHCP. However, both K15 laptops "see" the network and show
they are trying to acquire an address, but eventually time out. The
K15s are running Windows XP SP2, and the network is unsecured.

The router shows that it got a connect request from the laptops and
assigned an address to them.

I've updated drivers on the laptops with no success.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? If so, were you able
to resolve it?

Thanks

Dale Chamberlain
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 10:41:03 AM

dale@dchamberlain.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 Sony Vaio K15 laptops with integrated 802.11b/g wireless. I
> also have a Dlink DI-624 wireless router, another laptop with an
> Orinoco 802.11b PCMCIA card and a PDA with wireless capability.
>
> The laptop with the Orinoco card and the PDA both connect to the
> wireless network without problems and they accept the address from
the
> router's DHCP. However, both K15 laptops "see" the network and show
> they are trying to acquire an address, but eventually time out. The
> K15s are running Windows XP SP2, and the network is unsecured.
>
> The router shows that it got a connect request from the laptops and
> assigned an address to them.
>
> I've updated drivers on the laptops with no success.
>
> Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? If so, were you
able
> to resolve it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale Chamberlain
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 10:42:28 AM

try turning on the service Wireless Zero Configuration Service

To start the service . . .

Start/run . . . services.msc
scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration Service
double-click on it to open the settings box
click "Start" to start the service
set it to automatic using the drop-down box
reboot
If it still does not show in the list of Services:

run regedit and find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

dale@dchamberlain.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 Sony Vaio K15 laptops with integrated 802.11b/g wireless. I
> also have a Dlink DI-624 wireless router, another laptop with an
> Orinoco 802.11b PCMCIA card and a PDA with wireless capability.
>
> The laptop with the Orinoco card and the PDA both connect to the
> wireless network without problems and they accept the address from
the
> router's DHCP. However, both K15 laptops "see" the network and show
> they are trying to acquire an address, but eventually time out. The
> K15s are running Windows XP SP2, and the network is unsecured.
>
> The router shows that it got a connect request from the laptops and
> assigned an address to them.
>
> I've updated drivers on the laptops with no success.
>
> Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? If so, were you
able
> to resolve it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale Chamberlain
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 11:30:47 AM

dale@dchamberlain.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 Sony Vaio K15 laptops with integrated 802.11b/g wireless. I
> also have a Dlink DI-624 wireless router, another laptop with an
> Orinoco 802.11b PCMCIA card and a PDA with wireless capability.
>
> The laptop with the Orinoco card and the PDA both connect to the
> wireless network without problems and they accept the address from the
> router's DHCP. However, both K15 laptops "see" the network and show
> they are trying to acquire an address, but eventually time out. The
> K15s are running Windows XP SP2, and the network is unsecured.
>
> The router shows that it got a connect request from the laptops and
> assigned an address to them.
>
> I've updated drivers on the laptops with no success.
>
> Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? If so, were you
> able to resolve it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale Chamberlain

Check that you have specified the router IP address as the default
gateway and the DNS server in the TCP/IP properties. Enable NetBIOS
over TCP/IP, not the default which is enable if necessary. Also check
that in TCP/IP filtering, Permit All is checked for all ports and
protocols. Make sure that if running a firewall, that the local network
is in the Trusted zone. If using a third party firewall, disable the
Windows firewall, but do not disable Internet Connection Sharing and
Windows firewall service.

Also, if running Wireless Zero Configuration, do not run the proprietary
wireless configuration utility (only one config app, in any event).
Remember to enter the appropriate MAC address in MAC filtering security
in the router if that is enabled.

a b D Laptop
December 12, 2004 11:41:27 AM

Well I checked the Wireless Zero Configuration Service and it shows
running with the "Automatic" setting on. Also, the firewall is disabled
and there is no TCP/IP filtering.

If I change the TCP/IP settings to force a static address and gateway,
it will connect to the router. It just doesn't seem to get or recognize
the DHCP response.

I'm going to try a spare Linksys 802.11b router to see if it works with
it. My guess is it probably will...stay tuned!

Dale
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 1:05:01 AM

Surprisingly the same problem exists with the Linksys router. So that
tells me the problem is isolated to the Sony laptops. Interestingly too
is that the problem does occassionaly go away, but only briefly. A
reboot usually causes the wireless to not get an address. Also, it is
not consistent with forcing a static IP address...sometimes it works,
sometimes it doesn't.

I can't believe I have 2 defective laptops, considering I bought them
from opposite sides of the country, it doesn't seem likely.

Does anyone know where I can go to find the latest drivers for the
wireless adapter: LAN Express AS IEEE 801.11g mini PCI adapter?
Thanks

Dale A. Chamberlain
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 1:06:02 AM

Surprisingly the same problem exists with the Linksys router. So that
tells me the problem is isolated to the Sony laptops. Interestingly too
is that the problem does occassionaly go away, but only briefly. A
reboot usually causes the wireless to not get an address. Also, it is
not consistent with forcing a static IP address...sometimes it works,
sometimes it doesn't.

I can't believe I have 2 defective laptops, considering I bought them
from opposite sides of the country, it doesn't seem likely.

Does anyone know where I can go to find the latest drivers for the
wireless adapter: LAN Express AS IEEE 801.11g mini PCI adapter?
Thanks

Dale A. Chamberlain
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 9:34:25 AM

<dale@dchamberlain.net> wrote in message
| Surprisingly the same problem exists with the Linksys router. So that
| tells me the problem is isolated to the Sony laptops. Interestingly too
| is that the problem does occassionaly go away, but only briefly. A
| reboot usually causes the wireless to not get an address. Also, it is
| not consistent with forcing a static IP address...sometimes it works,
| sometimes it doesn't.
|
| I can't believe I have 2 defective laptops, considering I bought them
| from opposite sides of the country, it doesn't seem likely.
|
| Does anyone know where I can go to find the latest drivers for the
| wireless adapter: LAN Express AS IEEE 801.11g mini PCI adapter?
| Thanks
|
| Dale A. Chamberlain

Hi Dale -

There is a driver update for the Wireless LAN on your computer.

Have a look at the following link:
http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?templat...

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 11:03:03 AM

Thanks Jef,

I will apply this update this evening and hopefully it will solve the
problem. I know the version that the laptop is using is from around
April 2004. Interestingly, the VAIO update did not show this driver
update.

Again, thanks!

Dale
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 7:32:36 PM

| Thanks Jef,
|
| I will apply this update this evening and hopefully it will solve the
| problem. I know the version that the laptop is using is from around
| April 2004. Interestingly, the VAIO update did not show this driver
| update.
|
| Again, thanks!
|
| Dale

Hi Dale -

Happy to help and I hope the newer driver addresses your issues.

There are two drivers listed on the support page for your computer. If you
do the "step 3" pulldown and select "Wireless" you'll see the update I
pointed out to you (as well as a download for Sony's Wireless Help
Utility -- which you may also find beneficial). If you select "Wireless
LAN" you'll see what I believe may be the original driver that shipped with
your computer.

Link for Wireless Help Utility:
http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?templat...

I found it necessary to go the manufacturers website of the Wireless LAN
adaptor in my VAIO V505EX (Intel in my case) and pick up their latest
reference driver and software package to address my connection speed issues.
While Intel's suite of programs that shipped with the package didn't work
for me, the driver that was included with it, which could be manually
installed through Device Manager, did.

If Sony's update doesn't address your problems you may wish to search the
LAN Express website for a reference driver and give that a try.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 14, 2004 8:12:45 AM

Jef,

I applied the new driver following the instructions on the Sony website
exactly, but the problem still persisted. One of the laptops that I was
testing this on also was recently upgraded to XP SP2. I backed out SP2
and the wirelesss connection worked, although not entirely
consistently. I rebooted the computer and it didn't get the correct
address assigned, but it was behaving differently. I disabled the
wireless adapter, then enabled it, and everything worked.

I can only conclude at this point the drivers that Sony has for the
adapter have an issue with SP2. I will contact Sony about this.

I tried to locate LAN Express drivers from a manufacturer website, but
so far no luck.

Thanks

Dale
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 14, 2004 7:07:29 PM

| Jef,
|
| I applied the new driver following the instructions on the Sony website
| exactly, but the problem still persisted. One of the laptops that I was
| testing this on also was recently upgraded to XP SP2. I backed out SP2
| and the wirelesss connection worked, although not entirely
| consistently. I rebooted the computer and it didn't get the correct
| address assigned, but it was behaving differently. I disabled the
| wireless adapter, then enabled it, and everything worked.
|
| I can only conclude at this point the drivers that Sony has for the
| adapter have an issue with SP2. I will contact Sony about this.
|
| I tried to locate LAN Express drivers from a manufacturer website, but
| so far no luck.
|
| Thanks
|
| Dale

Hi Dale -

Sorry to hear that Sony's newer driver hasn't worked out for you.

One curiosity: What encryption method are you using on the network? After
a quick Google search, I was reading an article on a website where the
author was describing a fairly similar problem to yours. He was able to
establish connectivity by using WEP, after discovering the driver he was
using didn't support WPA.

My quick search also failed to turn up the manufacturers website. Have a
look in the .inf file for the driver and, hopefully, there's a better clue
there as to who manufactures the adaptor so that a search for a reference
driver can proceed.

Sony is notoriously bad at providing driver updates and, more than once,
I've turned to the hardware manufacturer for solutions.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 19, 2004 1:33:04 AM

On 7 Dec 2004 04:10:12 -0800, dale@dchamberlain.net wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have 2 Sony Vaio K15 laptops with integrated 802.11b/g wireless. I
>also have a Dlink DI-624 wireless router, another laptop with an
>Orinoco 802.11b PCMCIA card and a PDA with wireless capability.
>
>The laptop with the Orinoco card and the PDA both connect to the
>wireless network without problems and they accept the address from the
>router's DHCP. However, both K15 laptops "see" the network and show
>they are trying to acquire an address, but eventually time out. The
>K15s are running Windows XP SP2, and the network is unsecured.

I had a similar problem that first showed itself via the network port
on an Acer Aspire I had for a while. It then appeared more an more
with some of the more common chipsets seen on the various cheaper PCI
cards like Via Rhine, Realtech etc.

Mine turned out to be an 'issue' with the D-Link DI-704 cable rouler
not issuing DHCP to the above (but fine with everyone else). Something
strange that also came from this is that with these cards / chipsets
you opten were leased the i/p address from the TOP of the scope rather
than the more 'normal' lower end? This applied with both the D-Link
and my neighbours Smoothwall DHCP servers.

After a couple of calls to D-Link support I sorted my problem myself
with a Q-Tec WiFi router (with the WiFi bit turned off and still using
the Netgear ME-102 AP )

All the best ..

T i m
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 20, 2004 7:53:46 AM

Jef,

Actually I am using no encrytion at all. The thought did strike me to
try it with WEP encryption just to see if it made a difference at all.

I can find a website for the manufacturer but they (for some odd
reason) do not have drivers available on it.
So far it seems to be working without the SP2 patch.

Dale
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 20, 2004 7:55:42 AM

Hi Tim,

I changed routers with a Linksys router, but still had the same
problem. If worse comes to worse, I'll just put in wireless cards and
disable the built-in WiFi.

Dale
July 22, 2009 1:44:43 AM

Disable the Lan and the 1394 then it works, Least thats how i did it.
!