Start Menu Programs only lists "empty"

ScottB

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2004

Windows XP Home Edition. When I go to Start - Programs the only
listing is the entry "empty". It used to list all my programs but now
it does not list any. In Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu
everything looks like it should. However there is no Start Menu in
Documents and Settings/MyName. Should there be a Start Menu there as
well?

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:19:25 GMT, ScottB wrote:

> Windows XP Home Edition. When I go to Start - Programs the only
> listing is the entry "empty". It used to list all my programs but now
> it does not list any. In Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu
> everything looks like it should. However there is no Start Menu in
> Documents and Settings/MyName. Should there be a Start Menu there as
> well?

Yes, there should be. You can try searching for the missing folders and, if
found, move them back. Or just recreate the folder structure under your
account (New> Folder menu).

If no luck, create a new user account for yourself. Log onto it at least
once (this step creates the base folder structure for the account). Then
transfer your data files over to it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

ScottB

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2004

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:11:53 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:19:25 GMT, ScottB wrote:
>
>> Windows XP Home Edition. When I go to Start - Programs the only
>> listing is the entry "empty". It used to list all my programs but now
>> it does not list any. In Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu
>> everything looks like it should. However there is no Start Menu in
>> Documents and Settings/MyName. Should there be a Start Menu there as
>> well?
>
>Yes, there should be. You can try searching for the missing folders and, if
>found, move them back. Or just recreate the folder structure under your
>account (New> Folder menu).
>
>If no luck, create a new user account for yourself. Log onto it at least
>once (this step creates the base folder structure for the account). Then
>transfer your data files over to it.
>
>How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Thank you for the help. I created a new user account, copied
everything over , deleted the old account and renamed the new one to
the old and it all works great.

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:45:53 GMT, ScottB wrote:

> Thank you for the help. I created a new user account, copied
> everything over , deleted the old account and renamed the new one to
> the old and it all works great.

You're welcome!
--
Sharon F