Sign in with
Your question

New PC Help

Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2010 4:45:44 AM

This is best forum ive found for PC help by far ;)  I just have a few questions on a pc im putting together over the next few months.

Im planning on :
CPU: i7 920 or 930 as theyre almost the same, kinda looking at the i7 970 6core but thats 600, kinda too much for my budget(apparently 900 on newegg, 300 bucks less here lmao)
Ram:2000Mhz 6gb ddr3(company not decided yet, later upgrading to 12gbddr3)
MB: Not decided, need tips on a good mobo that supports crossfire
Vcard: 5870 1GB Later upgrading to crossfire
PSU: Not decided but going to be 800W+, from what i read 5870x2 needs 750+ W but give me your opinion
Case: Antec 1200(one of the best cooling apparently), i'm also looking at the Antec Skeleton, is there any direct comparison of these two cases? I havent been able to find any.

So if you can give me a few tips on CPU, Ram, MB, PSU, or case i should get, thanks :) 

EDIT: Im also looking for a decent monitor, are LED monitors worth it? They start at around 270 for a good one in my nearby store compared to 200 on an avg monitor(24"). Is it worth that 70 dollars?

More about : question

a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 5:51:30 AM

For the CPU, the i7 930, if you're overclocking heavily the i7 920, if you really need the horsepower the i7 970.

With RAM, I would buy the G.Skill PI DDR3 1600 MHz CL6 or CL7 kits.

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E. Unless you don't mind spending more for something like an Asus Rampage III Extreme.

An Intel Core i7 975 @ 3.33 GHz system with two HD 5870s in CrossFireX will use around 600 W in total. For mid to heavy overclocks, you'll want a 850 W PSU just to be safe. Otherwise 750 W should be adequate. Something like the
Corsair HX750 or XFX 750 W PSU. If you need an 850 W PSU I suggest the XFX Black Edition 850 W.

I personally own a 22" LED monitor and the picture quality is clear and bright. With my older LCD, around six years old, I'm not sure whether it's because of the age or quality, it's much darker but it's probably a problem with ageing LCDs. I would say it's up to you whether you feel a bit better lighting and quality is worth $70 or so.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 6:31:30 PM

I built another i7 system not too long ago, and went with the 930, some Gskill 1600mhz (cl8 because it was way cheaper), and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard (which I'd pick over that Asus one).

For your power supply, at the most I'd go for that Corsair HX750 or XFX 750 just like Lmeow said. Even a 650w Corsair one would even be PLENTY for 2x 5870s - don't bother going 800+ watts...

As for cases, in builds I use a lot of Antec 300s - they are great for the price. Personally, I'm using a Lian-Li B10 and an NZXT Tempest evo at the moment.

I also just picked up a 24" 1080p Benq LCD for 169$ +tax etc. I worked at a computer shop at the start of this summer and the LED ones are nice, but not really noticeably different from new LCD monitors. They mostly just save on power. They'll eventually be replacing LCDs I'm sure...
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2010 2:22:17 AM

Lmeow said:
For the CPU, the i7 930, if you're overclocking heavily the i7 920, if you really need the horsepower the i7 970.

With RAM, I would buy the G.Skill PI DDR3 1600 MHz CL6 or CL7 kits.

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E. Unless you don't mind spending more for something like an Asus Rampage III Extreme.

An Intel Core i7 975 @ 3.33 GHz system with two HD 5870s in CrossFireX will use around 600 W in total. For mid to heavy overclocks, you'll want a 850 W PSU just to be safe. Otherwise 750 W should be adequate. Something like the
Corsair HX750 or XFX 750 W PSU. If you need an 850 W PSU I suggest the XFX Black Edition 850 W.

I personally own a 22" LED monitor and the picture quality is clear and bright. With my older LCD, around six years old, I'm not sure whether it's because of the age or quality, it's much darker but it's probably a problem with ageing LCDs. I would say it's up to you whether you feel a bit better lighting and quality is worth $70 or so.

Im thinking of some 2000mhz ram, any good company you can recomment? Is mushkin good?
Ill look at the mobo but i already have a Gigabyte so im kinda inclined to find one of those.
Im planning on OCin so does the 920 OC better than the 930 or the 970?
Ill take a look at that PSU and see if its in my store. :)  thanks and to you too jason :) 

EDIT: The PSUs not in my store but there are there, links below. What would you think is a good one?
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3...
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3...
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3...
The corsair 850HX is only 25 bucks more than the 750HX so for that i might as well go for that for future upgrades ;)  But im wonderin if that Corsair Prof Gold is any good?
I dont know what would be a good one -.-

EDIT AGAIN: I found this one, is the OCZ company any good? OCZ GameXStream 850W http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3...

AND AGAIN: I found a ram kit which is kinda nice, got fans on it to cool it down http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...
I also found this http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2... is G.Skill ram any good?
And this mushkin ram, which would you say is the better? http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2010 3:52:48 AM

I wouldn't really trust OCZ's GameXStream series but that's just me. I'd pick the Corsair AX850 if possible, you won't need any more than that and out of all those PSUs it's the best quality I'd say.

I personally have 2000 MHz RAM, running at 7-7-7-20-1T @ 1066 MHz right now (CPU's at stock atm).

Out of those RAM kit's you'd want the G.Skill, it has slightly higher timings but it's nearly $100 cheaper. If possible, try and get a triple channel memory kit of the Mushkins that you linked, they have excellent timings and speed.
m
l
August 20, 2010 3:54:16 AM

Lmeow said:
I wouldn't really trust OCZ's GameXStream series but that's just me. I'd pick the Corsair AX850 if possible, you won't need any more than that and out of all those PSUs it's the best quality I'd say.

I personally have 2000 MHz RAM, running at 7-7-7-20-1T @ 1066 MHz right now (CPU's at stock atm).

Out of those RAM kit's you'd want the G.Skill, it has slightly higher timings but it's nearly $100 cheaper. If possible, try and get a triple channel memory kit of the Mushkins that you linked, they have excellent timings and speed.

I am decently good with PCs but i never understood ram timings, is a higher timing better or worse? I would rather pay 100 more and get a better quality product ;) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2010 4:50:09 AM

Since you're up in Canada you should check out NCIX for some prices... They'll pricematch anything from another place also.

OCZ makes decent power supplies - nothing super special, but nothing really cheap either. I've used quite a few, and have a 700w ModxStream powering my i7 with SLI 275s at the moment. That 850w one will give you plenty of juice.

RAM timings make a big difference actually - you may need to check into some benchmarks to see for particular applications, but 1333mhz RAM with CL7 timings will run faster than 1600mhz stuff with CL9 timings (the standard stuff). Get the fastest speed with the lowest possible timings that you can find, but just remember that it will only be giving you a very slight difference in performance... Better to spend $100 extra on a CPU or graphics card than on upgraded RAM in my opinion. Anyway, those are my thoughts at least.
m
l
August 20, 2010 9:29:55 PM

jasonw223 said:
Since you're up in Canada you should check out NCIX for some prices... They'll pricematch anything from another place also.

OCZ makes decent power supplies - nothing super special, but nothing really cheap either. I've used quite a few, and have a 700w ModxStream powering my i7 with SLI 275s at the moment. That 850w one will give you plenty of juice.

RAM timings make a big difference actually - you may need to check into some benchmarks to see for particular applications, but 1333mhz RAM with CL7 timings will run faster than 1600mhz stuff with CL9 timings (the standard stuff). Get the fastest speed with the lowest possible timings that you can find, but just remember that it will only be giving you a very slight difference in performance... Better to spend $100 extra on a CPU or graphics card than on upgraded RAM in my opinion. Anyway, those are my thoughts at least.

Well i already bought the 5870, kinda forced too cause my 8800GTS burned out and it gives me perfect performance, while running crysis maxed out i get over 80FPS and its only using 35% of it according to overdrivee so its enough ;)  Gonna check some benchs on the diff rams, see whats best :) 
m
l
!