P8P67 PRO - Updated BIOS, Now Temps Are Strange

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I have been having a couple of problems with my mobo recently (P8P67 PRO Rev 3, not 3.1):
1. Comp will not come back to life after going to sleep - have to hard shutdown and restart every time. Turning off PLL overvoltage more or less fixes this, but makes OC impossible.
2. USB ports on the back panel are not working (HAF 922 case). The two front panel USB ports (2.0) work fine, but the 4 backs don't - I plug devices in and nothing happens. No response at all (e.g. iPod, flash drive, wireless device).

I thought maybe a bios update would help, so I flashed version 1704, downloaded from ASUS. 1305 came with the board from the factory.

Now I have some strange things happening. First, I cannot get back to my final OC - 4.9GHz. Using the same settings hangs the machine and I have to restart. 4.6GHz is the best I've done so far.

Second, my mobo and CPU temps are acting "weird". Before the update, at idle the mobo would be around 35C, and the CPU slightly higher at 38C to 40C depending on ambient. Now the mobo is a constant 40C, and the CPU, at idle, goes all the way down to 28C! At load (with no OC yet), it doesn't even exceed the mobo temp.

Have any of you updated your ASUS bios to 1704? Have you seen similar problems? Any suggestions for why these things are happening and how to fix them? Is it okay to reload the original bios?

Thanks!

Solution
My temps are reading lower since 1704 update. Before update, CPU temps averaged 29-35C and Mobo temps were 27-29C. After update, CPU temps average 18-21C, mobo temps haven't changed.

MikeB5862

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
My temps are reading lower since 1704 update. Before update, CPU temps averaged 29-35C and Mobo temps were 27-29C. After update, CPU temps average 18-21C, mobo temps haven't changed.

Solution

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I guess I should break out Real Temp or some other reliable temperature monitoring tool to see if it agrees. That will tell me whether it's an ASUS bug, or real.