htpc_guy

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I am going to build or buy a home theater PC. My main question is.... should i go with a fanless CPU (intel atom) to keep the PC quiet or should i get an intel i3. This PC will mainly be used for watching DVDs, blu-rays, streaming content, and watching TV with an Asus My Cinema tuner. This PC will also have a solid state drive to help keep it quiet and i just like the reliability of them.

dukesilver

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I would just go with the i3. I don't think an intel atom would be sufficient for hi def content and streaming. I have an old Pentium 4 2.8 that has trouble running hi def content, so just go with the faster processor.

lugalbanda

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I agree with Dukesilver. I just think you're not getting enough for your money with the Atom.

In terms of quiet, you also want to think about the other components, especially the power supply. Will you use a second drive for storage? That will affect how much noise your system will make as well.

What case are you going to use?

How quiet do you need it to be? I just build one using the Silverstone GD05B, which has 3 fans, and I don't really hear it.