Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ati 5770 eyefinity

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2010 5:45:06 AM

I've got an Sapphire Radeon 5770. I'm trying to run it with 3 VGA displays. Using a Sapphire DP to VGA adaptor and two DVI to VGA adaptors. I can't seem to get the desktop to extend over all three displays. When I go into CCC it seems to detect all three monitors. I can get any combination of two monitors to work but when I try to extend the desktop over 3 monitors it won't let me. I've tried not using the DVI to VGA adaptors with the same result. I'm running Windows XP home and using the 10.6 CCC drivers. Any help here? Please!

I forgot to add that I'm running all three displays at very low resolution 1024x768

More about : ati 5770 eyefinity

July 18, 2010 7:14:09 PM

is your DP to VGA adapter active?
Score
Related resources
July 18, 2010 9:16:48 PM

Yeah, you CANNOT use a passive adapter if the 3 displays use the same resources.

Your is 3 VGA displays, and there's only 2 RAMDACs on the card, so it needs to be an active adapter, which either has USB or a power supply attached to it to and it provides a timing signal.

Alot of the Sapphire adapters have mistakenly been called active adapters, usually by sleazy sellers, when they are usually passive adapters.

If it doesn't have a power source it's passive and won't work.

Now if any of your monitors have digital DVI inputs instead then you should be able to run 2 VGA and 1 digital DVI, but not 3 digital DVI nor 3 analogue VGA (even if some come from DVI).
Score
September 15, 2010 4:21:20 AM

I have the same problem. i am currently trying to run the ati radeon 5770 to 3x Dell 23" ST2310 monitors. i have one DP to HDMI and the other two are running on DVI to VGA.

I bought an "active" displayport adapter. well it only said it has "Active Technology to converts DisplayPort to HDMI for clear audio and video". It doesnt read the 3rd monitor. when i tried to extend or duplicate...it said that one of the non-primary display must be disable first.

After reading your reply to the same problem...are you saying that only an Active displayport with the USB to connect for power will work?
Score
September 21, 2010 12:36:16 AM

vi3tjet08 said:
I have the same problem. i am currently trying to run the ati radeon 5770 to 3x Dell 23" ST2310 monitors. i have one DP to HDMI and the other two are running on DVI to VGA.

I bought an "active" displayport adapter. well it only said it has "Active Technology to converts DisplayPort to HDMI for clear audio and video". It doesnt read the 3rd monitor. when i tried to extend or duplicate...it said that one of the non-primary display must be disable first.

After reading your reply to the same problem...are you saying that only an Active displayport with the USB to connect for power will work?

Its fine, it will automatically disable a monitor during the configuration process.

My config is (1440x900)

2x Acer x193w, both DVI<-->DVI
1x X2Gen W19R, VGA<-->Accell DP to VGA<-->DP

works beautifully.
Score
February 21, 2011 12:37:19 PM

Ok, I'm doing pretty much the same thing but no joy. I'm still not clear if my passive DP to HDMI cable is sufficient.Here's the setup:

2 x DVI monitors
1 x HDMI monitor attached to 5770's Display Port with a passive DP to HDMI cable

Any two monitors work fine, but can't get all three going together.
Should this work, or do I need an "active" DP to HDMI converter or genuine DP monitor?

--- Thanks!
Score
February 21, 2011 12:47:42 PM

From ATI's website :

Quote:
Connectivity Requirements: AMD Eyefinity technology is supported by graphics cards in the ATI Radeon™ HD 5400 series and higher. These cards can support up to six monitors (depending on the model), subject to the following restrictions:
• A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.

To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).

There is a list of validated dongles here
Score
February 21, 2011 1:53:33 PM

Ok, that's what I had first read. Then I read elsewhere that a passive adapter does work. So I got a passive adapter cable which connects the card's DP to the monitor's HDMI port, and this works fine for any combination of two monitors.

Why does my HDMI monitor work fine when connected to the Display Port, but only when I use two monitors and not three? Is it not runing off the DP clock and circuitry?
Score
February 21, 2011 2:29:34 PM

Thanks JDFan. I get it now that I've actually read quote!
Score
February 22, 2011 3:32:46 PM

i was surfing the net because i have the same problem, can't run the third monitor. My setup is :
2x screens DVI<-->DVI
1x screen, Accell DP to DVI

The screen connected to my display port work fine but one of the monitor connected to the DVI won't turn on. I try to connect it to the HDMI output with a adaptater and still nothing. Can someone help me please

Thanks
Score
February 22, 2011 5:36:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!