AMD counterpart in Intel???

rehash07

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Can anybody tell me what is the counter part of AMD Athlon II X2 to Intel processors? And what are the differences of Athlon II X2 to Athlon X2? And last..what happened to AMD Turion? does it still existing? Thanks....

Timop

Distinguished
Core i3 which will beat the crap out of athlon II x2.
and your wallet.

The difference between Athlon X2 and Athlon II X2 is all the Athlon II X2s are based on the newer K10 architecture and made on the 45nm process, while only the Athlon X2 7XXXs were K10, but 65nm while all the others are K8 parts. (The 45nm 5000+ is an exception, but it is a fairly low volume chip and can be considered as "special".)

Turions still exists in its old place as the mainstream mobile processors. AMD simply added an Athlon line to supplement the lower-end and Phenoms for the higher-end.

To answer your question correctly, there is no direct Intel counterpart to the AMD Athlon II X2. From a performance standpoint it would be the 32nm dual-core Pentium G6950, but the Pentium is priced at a level equal to the Athlon II *Propus* quad-cores and well beyond the cost of the Athlon II Rana triple-cores.

The next closest comparison would be Core 2 Duo processors - from a price standpoint the most close comparison would be the e4xxx series which the Athlon II beats handily. From a performance standpoint the C2D e7xxx series generally slugs it out equally but at 2x the price.

The differences of Athlon II X2 to Athlon X2 are significant. The X2s were manufactured at 90nm & 65nm as compared to the A-IIs at 45nm. The A-IIs are based upon the K10 *Stars* cores and include both DDR2 & DDR3 memory capability.

The AMD Turion has evolved as the Athlons above. The *Champlain* and *Caspian* T-IIs are based upon the 45nm K10 'Stars' cores and generally range from 25-35w.

Read OP's post carefully he asked which intel cpu is comparable to Athlon II.He didnot ask which intel cpu is similar to athlon II at the same price.

Yes, i3 is way to good to be compared to an outdated athlon II.And Intel c2d 6xxx is a more realistic comparism.

In other words, you didn't read the OP carefully, and being an Intel Fanboy, jumped in immediately and derailed the thread with your *False Choice* i3 fallacy instead of any logical comparison.

And then you start backing up and accusing folks of not reading the OP carefully. Typical of you.

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Basically there is no counterpart on the price : performance table but people alwas look at price unless they are insanely rich so @ amd athalon X2 cpu we have Intels e6xxx series which is also much much better than athalon ... and im not sure about turion and the diffrence between the athalon and athalon II is diffrent architecture higher clock speeds ..... if i were you i would stick with intel

That would be incorrect.

The A-IIs beat all CD2 e6XXXs --- and trades blows with the e6850 (1333 FSB), with the A-IIs winning in most apps because of updated SSE instructions.

The A-IIs also out-perform the e7XXX series in applications and gaming while losing in synthetics (with the A-IIs costing 40-50% less).