Sign in with
Your question

Question about connecting mobo to dvd/cd rom drive

Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2010 6:59:19 AM

Hello,

My motherboard came with a 40-1 pin ide connector cable to hook up the drives. My problem is that one end plugs in to the motherboard but the other two ends will not fit in the dvd/cd ROM. The back of the dvd/cd Rom says sata power and sata data.

Could someone help me out on what I am missing. Is there a connector or adapter I need. It seems like I would have everything I would need because I ordered all of the parts together, but mabye not.

Thanks for any input!
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2010 7:21:06 AM

andrewjoseph said:
Hello,

My motherboard came with a 40-1 pin ide connector cable to hook up the drives. My problem is that one end plugs in to the motherboard but the other two ends will not fit in the dvd/cd ROM. The back of the dvd/cd Rom says sata power and sata data.

Could someone help me out on what I am missing. Is there a connector or adapter I need. It seems like I would have everything I would need because I ordered all of the parts together, but mabye not.

Thanks for any input!

You should use a SATA cable like this one...

m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2010 7:21:54 AM

And which mobo have you bought? If it is a retail one, then it would generally have 2 SATA cables...
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2010 12:56:19 PM

gkay09 said:
And which mobo have you bought? If it is a retail one, then it would generally have 2 SATA cables...

It is a new Asus board. I see the sata cable There is 2 of them.

So I just don't use that ribbon cable and that output slot on the board? Thanks for the help.
m
l
August 19, 2010 1:07:38 PM

gkay09 said:

I can plug the sata cable into one of 5 sata outputs on the board. What powers the dvd cd rom?
m
l
August 19, 2010 1:10:51 PM

They're all the same. Make sure you plug a SATA power connection from your power supply into the DVD ROM.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 4:02:03 AM

^ Yes like Griffolion said, you can plug into any of those...
m
l
!