Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hi,

Yesterday I received my new setup, the specs are as follows:

Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 1155
RAM: Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9A (2x2GB 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Processor: i5-2500K
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
HD: Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-75V0A0 (SATA)
Case: HAF 922

Using 7900gs SLI until I decide on my new card
The RAM I have since a few months ago for my previous PC

The problem I am having only occurs when booting with both sticks inserted.

It will not POST. I have tried all I can think of so far: Reseating, switching to different slots, flashing CMOS etc. but it will not boot with both sticks inserted. Have checked manual for proper seating layout.

I have the latest BIOS version, 1.7

I can boot no problem with a single stick, and this works using any slot. Have tried with each individual stick so I can confirm neither are dead.

The Dr Debug error I am receiving is "38". Checking the manual, this error is described as: "Post-Memory North Bridge initialisation (North Bridge module specific)"

Also I have looked up the ASRock site for compatibility and my XMS3 memory is not listed, at least not my model.
I would think it unusual that if they were incompatible that I can boot fine with one stick but not two.

I am waiting on a friend to bring his Gskill over for testing.

This being my first build, my knowledge will be limited, so any help would be great. And let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks,
Owen

With just one stick installed, get into the BIOS. Manually configure your DRAM settings to the following:

Frequency: 1333
Timing: 9-9-9-24
Voltage: 1.5
Command Rate: 2T
and also set it to Unganged, if not already.

After setting these, press F10 to save and exit, but before the system comes back up, press the power button on the case to turn it off. Install the second RAM stick, and turn on the system. See if this helps.

OwenD87

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Checked this in the BIOS; Timings and voltage were as you stated, changed command rate. No sign of unganged option. Saved and exited, reseated the sticks and same issue.

I have decided to put the Corsairs up on ebay and just pick up some G Skill instead, I will be buying my 560 Ti next week anyway so I will be saving on shipping also.

Thanks for your reply

You said you tried one stick.... did you try using one stick "at a time".....trying both sticks in the same slot ? Sounds like you have a bad module or ya sticking them in wrong slots.

I have decided to put the Corsairs up on ebay and just pick up some G Skill instead

My success rate w/ GSkill's isn't all that good. With 8GB at $55, I really have a hard time putting anything in $1,000 system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324

OwenD87

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Yes I tried one stick at a time, in each slot. I don't believe that the slots are the issue.
Having read about the G.skills, they seem pretty positive and are well priced where I am living, cant order from newegg unfortunately being in the EU.

Thanks for the input though, I will attempt upping the voltage later after work.