jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
How many of you use a UPS for your PC Gaming or other wise? My ups died I am trying to decide if I should invest in a new one or get a $60 one from APC to power my router and cable modem if the power goes out my laptop will still have a connection I use the internet to report MY power outages.

Ironic................:)
Most of us do, not just the gamers..... actually the gamers if they do use a ups, I believe it'll have to be a real expensive one to be able to take the load of a good 1200W PSU plus the other peripherals attached.....
Nah, Gamers.... nope....
But the rest, I do believe use one for some reason or the other, so it is worth the investment, although I'd like to know how long does the UPS keep the router on when the power goes out.....
A better idea would be to build your self a nice 12V battery pack simple to do and cheap to make, that'll give you a Days power just on the battery...... @12V.
Anyways, it is a good investment as long as it serves it's purpose well.

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Mine did not die When I installed a 1055t in my system and a 2 5870's in cross fire it drove it past 650 watts and my ups is 450 watts. What do you recommend I would need atleast a 850 ups to match mu PSU. I don't have that kind of money. I am thinking of moving the pc to the surge side of the unit. And leaving it there. The router and modem will last several hours on a ups.

No, the UPS doesn't concern what you have inside the machine, it's more connected to the Max Power of the PSU.....
If your rig is underpowered , then the slightest fluctuation in the mains is going to trip the UPS causing a instant shutdown.
If your PSU matches up to the UPS then you get a 5 to 15 minute power backup while using max power to be safely out of the red zone and shut your PC down.
If the PSU's power intake is more than what the UPS can supply then again you have a shutdown when the power goes out plus, you will kill your battery in the UPS real fast.....
Your 450Watt PSU , it seems was sufficient enough for the 1055 and 2X 5870CF....
which is pretty credible...... but usually doesn't happen.....
For your 450W PSU the 0.5KVA UPS is enough, for a 850WPSU you'll need a 1KVA UPS....
Simple, the UPS powers the PSU and the PSU powers the Rig.
Thus if you have low power coming into the PSU the system is going to reboot if your UPS is not capable of handling the PSU power needs it's going to trip
it's called overload.....
My system here has that since it's connected to an Inverter, so the inverter tells me it's overloaded when I have a power cut and need to shutdown 2 out of three of my rigs.....

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

I have a 750watt psu and a 450 UPS