Sign in with
Your question

Weird line across monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2010 8:22:04 AM

Ok so recently I noticed that I have a line across my screen when I play games, sometimes I can see it and sometimes it just disappears. Here is an example :

is it dead, stuck, fixable ?

More about : weird line monitor

a c 102 C Monitor
July 15, 2010 1:51:57 PM

Can't tell too well from the screen shot, is it the triangle in the lower left or is that part of the game? It could come from overheating and/or overclocking a bit too much.
m
l
July 15, 2010 2:10:07 PM

well I can clearly see it, one side of the screen is brighter than the other and you can see a line that is basically in the middle =)
m
l
Related resources
a c 102 C Monitor
July 15, 2010 2:17:10 PM

OvrClkr said:
well I can clearly see it, one side of the screen is brighter than the other and you can see a line that is basically in the middle =)

I see that now that you pointed it out. How often does it show up? And is your card overclocked? If it is, try a lower speed.

This may be a monitor issue, but probably not. Have you tried swapping cables, then trying a different monitor?
m
l
July 15, 2010 2:19:53 PM

I have tried everything and it still shows up every now n then, especially when the game has a lot of "bloom", in L4D2 i cannot see it but in Dirt2 and BC2 it shows up =(
m
l
a c 102 C Monitor
July 15, 2010 2:21:13 PM

OvrClkr said:
I have tried everything and it still shows up every now n then, especially when the game has a lot of "bloom", in L4D2 i cannot see it but in Dirt2 and BC2 it shows up =(

Ah, you should post what you tried already so people are not giving you suggestions you already tried.
m
l
July 15, 2010 2:31:22 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Ah, you should post what you tried already so people are not giving you suggestions you already tried.

I have been using computers for over 20 years and have never seen this particular line, I know what a dead pixel is and I have fixed stuck pixels in the past. I just want to know if this is fixable or not so I can send it in for a replacement since it has a 4 year warranty with DELL. My issue is that if it is indeed fixable I would rather not RMA the screen because I do not have another one in the meantime for gaming needs ;) 
m
l
a c 103 C Monitor
July 15, 2010 3:42:44 PM

My guess is that it has something to do with the calibration of the screen. Does it show up under windows with a bright screen?
m
l
July 15, 2010 3:48:00 PM

Nope, just in certain games. For instance if a tank blows up in front of me or my cursor is pointing to a dark area it will not show up, once I point the cursor to the sky or in bright areas it appears again.
m
l
a c 103 C Monitor
July 15, 2010 4:15:10 PM

Have you contacted Dell and heard what they think the problem is?
m
l
July 15, 2010 5:31:34 PM

Not yet, cause Dell reps are clueless most of the time..

I actually schooled an XPS techie the other day, he didn't know that a 64bit OS allocates more than 3.25Gb's of RAM when you have 2x 2Gb sticks installed. Spoke to a supervisor and he apologized, kinda like when you ask a "geek squad" rep a question and you don't get the answer you were looking for =)
m
l
!