Weird line across monitor

Ok so recently I noticed that I have a line across my screen when I play games, sometimes I can see it and sometimes it just disappears. Here is an example :

is it dead, stuck, fixable ?
10 answers Last reply
More about weird line monitor
  1. Can't tell too well from the screen shot, is it the triangle in the lower left or is that part of the game? It could come from overheating and/or overclocking a bit too much.
  2. well I can clearly see it, one side of the screen is brighter than the other and you can see a line that is basically in the middle =)
  3. OvrClkr said:
    well I can clearly see it, one side of the screen is brighter than the other and you can see a line that is basically in the middle =)

I see that now that you pointed it out. How often does it show up? And is your card overclocked? If it is, try a lower speed.

This may be a monitor issue, but probably not. Have you tried swapping cables, then trying a different monitor?
  4. I have tried everything and it still shows up every now n then, especially when the game has a lot of "bloom", in L4D2 i cannot see it but in Dirt2 and BC2 it shows up =(
  5. OvrClkr said:
    I have tried everything and it still shows up every now n then, especially when the game has a lot of "bloom", in L4D2 i cannot see it but in Dirt2 and BC2 it shows up =(

Ah, you should post what you tried already so people are not giving you suggestions you already tried.
  6. hang-the-9 said:
    Ah, you should post what you tried already so people are not giving you suggestions you already tried.

I have been using computers for over 20 years and have never seen this particular line, I know what a dead pixel is and I have fixed stuck pixels in the past. I just want to know if this is fixable or not so I can send it in for a replacement since it has a 4 year warranty with DELL. My issue is that if it is indeed fixable I would rather not RMA the screen because I do not have another one in the meantime for gaming needs ;)
  7. My guess is that it has something to do with the calibration of the screen. Does it show up under windows with a bright screen?
  8. Nope, just in certain games. For instance if a tank blows up in front of me or my cursor is pointing to a dark area it will not show up, once I point the cursor to the sky or in bright areas it appears again.
  9. Have you contacted Dell and heard what they think the problem is?
  10. Not yet, cause Dell reps are clueless most of the time..

I actually schooled an XPS techie the other day, he didn't know that a 64bit OS allocates more than 3.25Gb's of RAM when you have 2x 2Gb sticks installed. Spoke to a supervisor and he apologized, kinda like when you ask a "geek squad" rep a question and you don't get the answer you were looking for =)
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Games Monitors Graphics