$1200 gaming build, first time builder

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next two weeks

BUDGET RANGE: approx. $1200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: primarily for gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, optical drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel/Nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is my first attempt at a custom build, so any comments/suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here's what I've put together so far:

Processor: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU and MOBO combo

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

GPU and PSU combo

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

OS and Case combo

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

This all comes in at $1240.56 with shipping, rebates and discounts. I've tried to put together a system that will be easy to upgrade/overclock if I decide to do that down the road. Thoughts on this build? This is my first try, so let me know if I'm missing something or have compatibility issues.

Thanks!
12 answers Last reply
More about 1200 gaming build time builder
  1. You could have a lot more performance in games by dropping the LGA 1366 build.

Asus P55 SLI board with G.Skill DDR3 1600 CL7
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.479961
    Tests show you don't need the extra bandwidth of the X58 boards.

i5 760 and GTX 460 1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.460466

GTX 460 1GB and 850HX PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.470426

Caviar Black 1TB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284
  2. +1 for Proximon's advice.

If the budget allows it and you think you'll need more space, consider a WD 2TB Black drive (WD2001FASS). It's VERY fast. I've added one myself a few weeks ago and it makes a big difference over older drives.

If/when you decide to try overclocking, get a nice CPU cooler first. Until then, the stock one should be fine.
  3. Whoa a just saw a ghost :)
  4. Personally, if your using it primarily for gaming, go with amd. I know you prefer Intel but have you even tried amd? When I had my first build, I wanted to go for intel too only because I was not used to anything else. But seriously don't just go for intel because of the name. You can get alot more out of your money for amd. You'll get a "better bang for your buck". getting a phenom II 965BE is MORE than enough. There isn't a game too date that requires more than this.
  5. avajx said:

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

OS and Case combo

If you would like, I can send you a copy of windows 7 so you don't have to pay for it :)
  6. I agree and respect your opinion, except for the flexibility of the Intel chipsets. Being able to run SLI or crossfire on the same board is a big plus.

... and no way I will recommend a 980a board ;)
  7. maziar321 said:
    If you would like, I can send you a copy of windows 7 so you don't have to pay for it :)

I hope that is a legitimate, licensed copy of win 7 you are offering maziar.
  8. Proximon said:
    I hope that is a legitimate, licensed copy of win 7 you are offering maziar.

Of course it is... :D :ange:

Could you define legitimate please?
  9. I also like Proximon's build with the i5 760, but if you wanted to keep that i7 - buy something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&cm_re=650w_corsair-_-17-139-005-_-Product
    and a GTX 460, separately. An 850w is overkill, even for SLI 460s.

I'd also personally suggest going for this motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423&cm_re=x58_ud3r-_-13-128-423-_-Product
    That's what I put in my i7 930 system, and I love it. It's only 5$ more than buying that combo with the Asus board.

Lastly, if you wanted to spend the money you saved going to the cheaper PSU, you could pick up a cheap SSD or a bigger Caviar Black like some other people have suggested...
  10. jasonw223 said:
    An 850w is overkill, even for SLI 460s.

Absolutely. I used it because of the quality and the deal, not because of the amps. Possibly some better deal can be found, but I think those particular 460s are good.
  11. Oh... and that's a big no on the 650TX. Corsair pulled a switch on us. That is no longer the quality Seasonic built PSU it once was. Now it's an un-reviewed CWT unit... see the label 650TX-C.

The Seasonic S12II 620 is a good budget choice but any PSU in that range will not have enough PCI-E connectors for the GTX 460 SLI. Molex adapters can be used.
  12. +1 for drop the i7 for i5 and SLI 460's. once you hear the word "budget" anywhere in a build, strike of the 1366 mobos. imo that step from an i5 750 to i7 920 should be the last taken as it will yeild the least tangible (i.e real-world) results, but i cant back that up with links because its 3am and im sleepy. just my 2 cents
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product