my theory on customer service

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

.... as someone who has been subjected to less-than-stellar customer service
from all businesses including cellular I have noticed a pattern. It usually
takes three tries with different CSR's to fix a problem. I think the usual
system is to aim the first time caller at the lowest common denominator of
service rep. i.e. a rookie. Then the next time you call about the same
problem(probably tracked by your phone number) you are moved up the
experience ladder till hopefully the problem gets solved.

Scott

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

This is the comon model of CSR and if implemented right, it is the
most cost effective.

In article <HjZ5e.36542$UW6.11750@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
"Dudhorse" <dudhorse@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> ... as someone who has been subjected to less-than-stellar customer service
> from all businesses including cellular I have noticed a pattern. It usually
> takes three tries with different CSR's to fix a problem. I think the usual
> system is to aim the first time caller at the lowest common denominator of
> service rep. i.e. a rookie. Then the next time you call about the same
> problem(probably tracked by your phone number) you are moved up the
> experience ladder till hopefully the problem gets solved.

Would that it be that simple. Basically is once a company (Cable,
Cellular, etc) has your money and you in a contract, you're a piece of
cash flow, and if it costs extra to handle your account, maybe they'd
just as soon scare you away.

> Thanks for that honesty. Handle Time restraints is what encourages reps
> to lie to get you off the phone, and to mis state the matter when your
> account is notated.

Facts? Cites? Anything credible to back up your claim? Of course not- you
have no knowledge of the subject. All you want to do is spread lies.

> Duh. Try reading it again. "they have to keep their average call time
> under a certain amount amount of time,"
>
> What would you call that??

Good business- something you have obviously never been involved in. People
have tried to explain this to you before, but you are obviously too
intelectually challenged to understand. It is an AVERAGE that more than 90%
of the calls are going to fall under. If I have five one minute calls and
one 30 minute call, I meet the metric. What is so horrible about that?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Haven't you heard...you don't call customer service with any company. It
will just get worse. Even at Comcast some times. Though with Comcast, there
aren't any termination fees...who would want to treat a customer that way?
:)

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
> Haven't you heard...you don't call customer service with any company. It
> will just get worse. Even at Comcast some times. Though with Comcast, there
> aren't any termination fees...who would want to treat a customer that way?
> :)

Disclaimer: Xman claims to work for Comcast. :p

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per Scott Stephenson:
>It is an AVERAGE that more than 90%
>of the calls are going to fall under. If I have five one minute calls and
>one 30 minute call, I meet the metric. What is so horrible about that?

Speaking as one who knows nothing...but who has been through conversion of a
major electric utility's Help Desk to the standard model used today...I would
say the nasty stuff starts when those geniuses in management start lowering the
allowed average in hopes of raising their quarterly bonuses.
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message
> Per Scott Stephenson:
> >It is an AVERAGE that more than 90%
> >of the calls are going to fall under. If I have five one minute calls
and
> >one 30 minute call, I meet the metric. What is so horrible about that?
>
> Speaking as one who knows nothing...but who has been through conversion of
> major electric utility's Help Desk to the standard model used today...I
would
> say the nasty stuff starts when those geniuses in management start
lowering the
> allowed average in hopes of raising their quarterly bonuses.
> --

Absolutely correct. However, the smart companies have recognized the
advantage of giving the customer plenty of no-human-needed options for the
easy stuff and actually relaxing the handle time metrics for those things
that require human assistance. And Jack would never know it, but there are
cellular companies that have adopted this business model with great success.

In article <9t1l51hvqvf7v4jfsui1lpippugi75ckck@4ax.com>,
"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote:

> Per Scott Stephenson:
> >It is an AVERAGE that more than 90%
> >of the calls are going to fall under. If I have five one minute calls and
> >one 30 minute call, I meet the metric. What is so horrible about that?
>
> Speaking as one who knows nothing...but who has been through conversion of a
> major electric utility's Help Desk to the standard model used today...I would
> say the nasty stuff starts when those geniuses in management start lowering
> the
> allowed average in hopes of raising their quarterly bonuses.
> --

Problem is they will get upset at 30 minute calls even if you average
below 6 minutes. SprintPCS is particularly bad at this where you will
"accidently" get disconnected at 6 minutes.

Scott Stephenson wrote:
> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>

>>Thanks for that honesty. Handle Time restraints is what encourages reps
>>to lie to get you off the phone, and to mis state the matter when your
>>account is notated.
>

> Facts? Cites? Anything credible to back up your claim? Of course not- you
> have no knowledge of the subject. All you want to do is spread lies.

Pfft.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <425bde78$0$5595$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
Matt Mizzi <mmmmizzi@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Scott Stephenson wrote:
> > "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>Thanks for that honesty. Handle Time restraints is what encourages reps
> >>to lie to get you off the phone, and to mis state the matter when your
> >>account is notated.
> >

> > Facts? Cites? Anything credible to back up your claim? Of course not- you
> > have no knowledge of the subject. All you want to do is spread lies.

We just had Cingular employees tell us so. I guess Scott only reads the
posts he wants to.

> Per Scott Stephenson:
> >It is an AVERAGE that more than 90%
> >of the calls are going to fall under. If I have five one minute calls and
> >one 30 minute call, I meet the metric. What is so horrible about that?

Facts? Cites? Anything credible to back up your claim? Of course not-
you have no knowledge of the subject. All you want to do is spread lies.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>

>> We just had Cingular employees tell us so. I guess Scott only reads the
>> posts he wants to.
>
> Funny- I read no such thing in that post. She mentioned a handle time. I
> missed the part where it was stated as a number.
>
> BTW, Jack- I defy you to name a single customer service call center
> environment (any industry) that does not measure this. You can't, because
> they all do.

I / We maintain 911 networks for a significant part of the USA, and are also
the primary customer service "SPOC" for the 911 dispatchers that may be
having
difficulties, or hardware/software problems with their equipment, on a 24/7
basis.
Call Time is not measured, and is considered irrelevant. Sort of what I say
about
the wind speed, while heading down I-x95 with the top down!.

> > Per Scott Stephenson:
> > >It is an AVERAGE that more than 90%
> > >of the calls are going to fall under. If I have five one minute calls
and
> > >one 30 minute call, I meet the metric. What is so horrible about that?
> >
> Facts? Cites? Anything credible to back up your claim? Of course not-
> you have no knowledge of the subject. All you want to do is spread lies.

Specifically, what do you want to support the claim? How about 6 years
experience in the industry, many of which have been focused on subjects just
like this. That would put me light years ahead of you in the knowledge
department- all you have is your experience as a whiney, uninformed,
misleading customer.

Now, what about my lack of knowledge? And what specific lies are you
referring to? I like the childness of you posting one of my responses to
you- too bad it doesn't fit quite as well.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You must of been that teachers pet in high school that could never get laid
and people hated because you had this chip on your shoulder. Go be a geek
some where else or some thing, will ya?

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:
> You must of been that teachers pet in high school that could never get laid
> and people hated because you had this chip on your shoulder. Go be a geek
> some where else or some thing, will ya?

*I* have a chip on my shoulder?

I'm not the one in here pissing and moaning about Verizon all the time, when
you've made it clear that Cingular works better for you.

I'm not the one shilling for Comcast, and by the way, if most of Comcast's
employees are obnoxious morons like you, I'm glad they're not my cable company.

In article <XNa7e.19273$1p4.9623@trndny06>,
"Remove This" <telcotech@verizon.net> wrote:

> --
> I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "
>
> "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >

> >> We just had Cingular employees tell us so. I guess Scott only reads the
> >> posts he wants to.
> >
> > Funny- I read no such thing in that post. She mentioned a handle time. I
> > missed the part where it was stated as a number.
> >
> > BTW, Jack- I defy you to name a single customer service call center
> > environment (any industry) that does not measure this. You can't, because
> > they all do.
>
> I / We maintain 911 networks for a significant part of the USA, and are also
> the primary customer service "SPOC" for the 911 dispatchers that may be
> having
> difficulties, or hardware/software problems with their equipment, on a 24/7
> basis.
> Call Time is not measured, and is considered irrelevant. Sort of what I say
> about
> the wind speed, while heading down I-x95 with the top down!.

Obviously lying since know-it-all Scott says such a call center doesn't
exist. :->

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Took me a moment, Jack, but a big LOL there !!!

--

"Remove This" <telcotech@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I / We maintain 911 networks for a significant part of the USA, and are
also
> the primary customer service "SPOC" for the 911 dispatchers that may be
> having
> difficulties, or hardware/software problems with their equipment, on a
24/7
> basis.
> Call Time is not measured, and is considered irrelevant. Sort of what I
say
> about
> the wind speed, while heading down I-x95 with the top down!.

And how many are the 'we' that you mention? 15? 150? More? Do the same
dispatchers always deal with you, or do they get "first come, first served"
basis.

"DevilsPGD" <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message

> Call time was not tracked at my last call center job, but we did track
> the number of calls per day, which is roughly the same thing represented
> differently.

It is actually the same thing- if you work 7.5 hours a shift and the
expectation is an average of 6 minutes per call, your requirement is 75
calls per day. If the expectation is 75 calls per day, your requirement
would be to average 6 minutes per call.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In message <68ydnYbPeNo_ncLfRVn-uA@adelphia.com> "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

>"DevilsPGD" <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
>
>> Call time was not tracked at my last call center job, but we did track
>> the number of calls per day, which is roughly the same thing represented
>> differently.
>
>It is actually the same thing- if you work 7.5 hours a shift and the
>expectation is an average of 6 minutes per call, your requirement is 75
>calls per day. If the expectation is 75 calls per day, your requirement
>would be to average 6 minutes per call.

Yes indeed. However, at that call center I would never be criticized
because a single call was long. At call centers that officially monitor
call length, you can get written up for having a single 45 minute call.

--
They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken

Replies in line...

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

>> I / We maintain 911 networks for a significant part of the USA, and are
> also
>> the primary customer service "SPOC" for the 911 dispatchers that may be
>> having
>> difficulties, or hardware/software problems with their equipment, on a
> 24/7
>> basis.
>> Call Time is not measured, and is considered irrelevant. Sort of what I
> say
>> about
>> the wind speed, while heading down I-x95 with the top down!.
>>

> And how many are the 'we' that you mention? 15? 150? More?

That's not info I care to reveal, however you've got the "range"

> Do the same dispatchers always deal with you, or do they get "first come,
> first served"
> basis.

A ringing phone gets answered, pronto, we hope. So it can work either way.
Some
issues get resolved on the initial call, some don't.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

911 call centers hardly count for Average Handle Time that is totally
different than hello CSR my bill is messed up and I demand you credit it!
> In article <XNa7e.19273$1p4.9623@trndny06>,
> "Remove This" <telcotech@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> --
>> I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "
>>
>> "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > Funny- I read no such thing in that post. She mentioned a handle time.
>> > missed the part where it was stated as a number.
>> >
>> > BTW, Jack- I defy you to name a single customer service call center
>> > environment (any industry) that does not measure this. You can't,
>> > because
>> > they all do.
>>
>> I / We maintain 911 networks for a significant part of the USA, and are
>> also
>> the primary customer service "SPOC" for the 911 dispatchers that may be
>> having
>> difficulties, or hardware/software problems with their equipment, on a
>> 24/7
>> basis.
>> Call Time is not measured, and is considered irrelevant. Sort of what I
>> say
>> about
>> the wind speed, while heading down I-x95 with the top down!.
>
> Obviously lying since know-it-all Scott says such a call center doesn't
> exist. :->

I can attest Cingular reps don't "accidently hang up @ the 10 minute limit."
IT is a TOTAL AVERAGE OF THE DAYS CALLS