Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 will not install on my SSD

Last response: in Storage
November 21, 2012 5:16:20 PM

I just bought the Sandisk Extreme SSD @ 240gb, and when I go to install my Windows 8 on it, it says that Windows 8 cannot install on this drive, and then says something about GPT mode, any suggestions?

More about : windows install ssd

November 21, 2012 5:27:14 PM

Go to your BIOS and change it.

what is your motherboard?
brand/model
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:31:20 PM

Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, a guide to do that could be beneficial. :??: 
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 5:34:59 PM

Do you have another computer available you can connect the SSD to? If so, connect it as a slave (shut down the other PC first), boot into the other PC, then go to the Disk Management console (Right-click on Computer, click Manage, select Disk Management in the window that appears). Find the SSD in the list of disks and right click, choose "convert to MBR disk".

Then try to install Windows 8 again.
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:36:22 PM

SchizTech said:
Do you have another computer available you can connect the SSD to? If so, connect it as a slave (shut down the other PC first), boot into the other PC, then go to the Disk Management console (Right-click on Computer, click Manage, select Disk Management in the window that appears). Find the SSD in the list of disks and right click, choose "convert to MBR disk".

Then try to install Windows 8 again.

I have another SSD with the OS on it, could I boot it from the same computer with that ssd, and then convert it to MBR?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 5:37:03 PM

If this SSD an upgrade to an existing PC with an OS already on it, then just boot to that OS and follow the rest of the instructions.
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:40:43 PM

SchizTech said:
If this SSD an upgrade to an existing PC with an OS already on it, then just boot to that OS and follow the rest of the instructions.

Its not letting me convert to MBR, it is grayed out.
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:44:39 PM

BIOS 64 Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.5, ACPI 2.0a, Multi-language BIOS,
ASUS EZ Flash 2, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3, F12 PrintScreen, F3 Shortcut Function and ASUS DRAM SPD (Serial Presence Detect) memory information

Source:http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

your board IS compatible with UEFI you must configure it properly.

found that you might need to download directly from them some software/utilities
source: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

Notice that there is 1 Firmware upgrade and 9* Bios upgrades (*you would only need the most recent)

some SATA drivers are on this list as well.

among other things in there.

hope this helps.

EDIT: Firmware
Intel Management Engine Firmware upgrade program
For better Windows® 8 compatibility, this tool will update the Intel® Management Engine(ME) firmware to 8.1.
Before using the tool, make sure the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver is installed and follow the simple instruction.
1.Download and extract the file to a folder
2.Double click the MEtool execution file to run the updating tool
3.Follow the tool instruction to complete updating
*During updating, DO NOT shut down or restart system to prevent an incomplete update.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 5:46:29 PM

I'm guessing that means it's already MBR. Could you provide the exact error message (go back and re-create it if you need to)?

First, a question: when you go to the boot menu on that board (should be F8 for an ASUS) do you see two entries for the DVD-ROM drive, one that says "EFI" and another not so marked? Try to boot from the one that's not EFI and see if Windows loads.
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:48:22 PM

I have the latest bios, and some drives are labeled as UEFI when I enter the BIOS, I think I may need to do something to enable the controller in the BIOS, although I can use it for storage when my other SSD is plugged in, and booted to.
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:50:48 PM

tumber77 said:
I have the latest bios, and some drives are labeled as UEFI when I enter the BIOS, I think I may need to do something to enable the controller in the BIOS, although I can use it for storage when my other SSD is plugged in, and booted to.

SATA
Version 3.0.41.1571
Description Intel Smart Connect Technology Software V3.0.41.1571 for Windows 7/8 32bit & 64bit.
File Size 20,58 (MBytes) 2012.11.08 update
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:53:30 PM

The Message I am getting is :
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 5:53:35 PM

Well, if you're booting the DVD as a UEFI disk GPT partitioning is enabled. The non-UEFI selection will boot into a simpler BIOS mode which uses MBR (the older, previous standard tech).

IF the default selection is UEFI and you boot the DVD into that mode, you may need to do the opposite in the Disk Management console (convert to GPT). Sorry if this gets confusing but this is what happens when we're in the process of a tech transition.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 5:55:30 PM

Just read the newer reply with the error code. Windows seems to be having a fit dealing with the UEFI mode (nothing should be needed n the BIOS to enable it as far as I know).

Can you try booting the DVD into non-UEFI mode and install that way? It might be simpler than troubleshooting why Windows isn't getting along nicely with UEFI.
m
l
November 21, 2012 5:58:26 PM

SchizTech said:
Well, if you're booting the DVD as a UEFI disk GPT partitioning is enabled. The non-UEFI selection will boot into a simpler BIOS mode which uses MBR (the older, previous standard tech).

IF the default selection is UEFI and you boot the DVD into that mode, you may need to do the opposite in the Disk Management console (convert to GPT). Sorry if this gets confusing but this is what happens when we're in the process of a tech transition.

In my BIOS I can boot to two options, (from the DVD drive) one w/ and one w/o the UEFI ribbon, which should I boot to?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 5:58:57 PM

try the one without UEFI
m
l
November 21, 2012 6:02:36 PM

I am still getting the same error, but I selected boot override, and perhaps it decided to boot into UEFI anyways, I'll try disabling all the other boot options.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 6:07:51 PM

When you're in Disk Management, can you look at the properties of the new SSD? Can you see whether it's currently set to MBR or GPT? The error seems to imply it's set to GPT and the option to set to MBR is greyed out, so I want to make sure we know what it's on.

If it it GPT already, then you may have automatically been booting into non-UEFI Mode all along, which isn't compatible with GPT formatting. In that case, try booting the UEFI mode.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 6:09:04 PM

I feel like we're spinning around in circles here. We do need to cover all the bases though!
m
l
November 21, 2012 6:10:10 PM

SchizTech said:
try the one without UEFI

It didn't work, but when I booted with UEFI, it only showed the bottom part of the error message, instead of both "paragraphs".

EDIT: I read your last post and it is in fact in GPT mode.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 6:12:22 PM

Hmmm. Can you check what SATA mode is set in the BIOS? (AHCI, RAID or IDE)?
m
l
November 21, 2012 6:15:10 PM

SchizTech said:
Hmmm. Can you check what SATA mode is set in the BIOS? (AHCI, RAID or IDE)?

AHCI
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 6:19:24 PM

That shouldn't be a problem at all. In a situation like this I'd suspect the HDD (SSD in this case) is faulty. It won't work in either UEFI or basic mode, and the SATA mode (AHCI) has been standard for Windows since Vista.

I'd check the DVD (try another if possible), the DVD-ROM, or (sorry to suggest it) the SSD.
m
l
November 21, 2012 6:21:49 PM

Could it be a firmware in the ssd?
m
l
November 21, 2012 6:24:25 PM

SchizTech said:
That shouldn't be a problem at all. In a situation like this I'd suspect the HDD (SSD in this case) is faulty. It won't work in either UEFI or basic mode, and the SATA mode (AHCI) has been standard for Windows since Vista.

I'd check the DVD (try another if possible), the DVD-ROM, or (sorry to suggest it) the SSD.

I deleted the volume and reformatted, now it seems to like to be in MBR.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 6:26:55 PM

OK, try it again in non-UEFI mode. Perhaps it just got caught on a little error that's been confusing all of us.

Good luck
m
l
November 21, 2012 6:27:54 PM

It at first said I could not, and through a line of random steps that I cannot repeat, has allowed it to start installation.. I'll hope this works :/ 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 6:34:47 PM

Gremlins. Invisible little nitters are messing with your drive.

In seriousness, there's one thing that's always true: computers can be the pickiest, most finicky things on earth when things aren't just right. Either there is a bad component here which will eventually show itself clearly or there was some little thing messing up what should have been a smooth process (since I can see nothing you obviously did wrong anywhere, and no compatibility issues either).

Either way, hope for the best. Let us know if it goes through!
m
l
November 21, 2012 7:14:31 PM

I installed, and when it rebooted, it says that I need to reboot and select proper boot device.....
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 7:18:46 PM

tumber77 said:
I installed, and when it rebooted, it says that I need to reboot and select proper boot device.....

I see nothing wrong with what you're doing; assuming all parts are in working order you shouldn't have had anything close to the amount of problems here. Sadly I have to go back to suspecting the SSD. There don't seem to be any programs made to test SSDs for faults so I can't point to any particular tests. If the SSD can be RMA'd, see if you can get a replacement.
m
l
November 21, 2012 7:20:44 PM

SchizTech said:
I see nothing wrong with what you're doing; assuming all parts are in working order you shouldn't have had anything close to the amount of problems here. Sadly I have to go back to suspecting the SSD. There don't seem to be any programs made to test SSDs for faults so I can't point to any particular tests. If the SSD can be RMA'd, see if you can get a replacement.

Sigh, more RMAs .... the only thing is now it alsoo formatted my smaller ssd, and I lost my files.... I have like 7 RMAs I have to send...
m
l
November 21, 2012 7:22:57 PM

Do you think it could have anything to do with the fact that the drive is 240gb and not 256?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 7:28:52 PM

No, the capacity shouldn't be an issue (storage drives aren't run the same way as RAM where everything is a power of 2). SSD are no different from HDD on this point

I'm not sure what the rep of SanDisk SSDs are with regard to reliability, they're not one of the bigger makers. Intel and Samsung have great reputations, and most big volume SSD makers should be pretty good.
m
l
November 22, 2012 12:54:27 AM

SchizTech said:
No, the capacity shouldn't be an issue (storage drives aren't run the same way as RAM where everything is a power of 2). SSD are no different from HDD on this point

I'm not sure what the rep of SanDisk SSDs are with regard to reliability, they're not one of the bigger makers. Intel and Samsung have great reputations, and most big volume SSD makers should be pretty good.

I went with an OCZ vertex4, its on sale @ 159 for 256gb, intel and samsung are also VERY expensive.
m
l
!