Sign in with
Your question

Is this safe?

Last response: in Components
November 4, 2010 8:49:44 AM

I'll be painting my computer case during the weekened, but is it safe to run my system caseless for a couple of days? As in it would be just laying on the table, assembled and operational. The only problem I can think of is the grounding issue.

More about : safe

a b ) Power supply
November 4, 2010 9:50:20 AM

You can but its a bit risky. You can probably put the PC parts on top of a thick towel maybe. But make sure you don't drop anything on it by accident.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 4, 2010 11:27:26 AM

I would not recommend wood as it is quite a hard surface and the pins on the back of the motherboard may get damaged!
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2010 11:42:17 AM

kinda risky alright if you accidently touch the mobo and you are electro-statically charged well the mobo is gone so why not place it on a insulating electrostatic free rubber mat ive seen it done over at the hardware part of my office and the pins dont tend to get damaged but if i were you i wouldnt even use it during that time just wait for it to come back then use it
m
l
November 4, 2010 5:51:40 PM

Oh I do have a backup computer, whole three of them actually. I just need to run a couple of tests on this system while I'm working on the case. Well right now I have mobo lying on a stack of sheet paper which is placed on the wooden desk. Paper's not conductive at low voltages, so it's completely safe right? Oh wait, I guess I shouldn't be drinking my Pepsi right next to it.

Anyway, here's how it looks right now:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ps0qjp/7
m
l
November 5, 2010 2:38:33 AM

looks safe enough to me! lol how does it even stand? no screws?
m
l
!