Sign in with
Your question

Win7 x64 show 2gb only with 6GB Triple Channel

Last response: in Memory
June 28, 2011 9:35:10 PM

Hi guys, i just got a new brand computer.

Intel i7 960 3.2Ghz
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Corsair 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMT6GX3M3A1866C9)

Here comes the weird thing.. my Win7 x64 just shows 2GB as available.
If i use any program like Everest i can see it recognizes the 3 modules of 2GB each.
But my BIOS and Win7 say that only 2048MB are available.

I've been researching the forum for triple channel issues but i can't find the solution.

Thank you all for your support.
June 28, 2011 9:53:47 PM

there should be an option in your bios called memory remap. change it to enabled and it should fix your issue
June 28, 2011 10:25:52 PM

Ok i'll look it now. What i've done to try to fix it is to shut down pc, remove power cable. Remove all 3 ram modules. Clear CMOS and replug them in.

Now i've 4GB available in Win7... still weird.

I'll try to find memory remap.
Related resources
June 28, 2011 10:49:12 PM

I just updated BIOS to the last version and i still can't find the memory remap option. All i've got is a "recheck" option who can only be enabled or disabled and manual modification of DRAM voltages and speed.
June 28, 2011 10:57:20 PM

In CPU-Z i can see the 3 RAM modules. But it shows like only dual channel working and not triple channel...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
a c 347 } Memory
June 28, 2011 11:11:25 PM

Hopefully I can help, first open the Resource Monitor as shown below.

Please post the following values:
Hardware Reserved =
Total =
Installed =

Currently you're running 1066 MHz {default} and 2/3 sticks are recognized {Dual Channel}.

Verify correct DIMM Slots are being used:
June 28, 2011 11:47:46 PM

Maybe your memory is defective, Once I got the same issue with supertalent memories on a Rampage II extreme, And I returned those mem. and got adata.
Is very weird that you have issues with corsair mem.. there are also another known causes like pin or many pins on cpu socket are blent , or the memory is not installed correctly, dusty mem slots, bios incorrect settings ( very low voltage on mem, low voltage on qpi/dram module). that's all I know. At first glanze I can tell that your ram modules are defective because apparently you haven't done any overclock on your mobo, unless you, or elsewhere installed the memories incorrectly. the diagram posted of the other person is a cool guideline for you.
June 29, 2011 12:35:50 AM

Yeah i followed Asus motherboard user guide to plug in ram. It says for 3 channel memory to plugin in the 3 orange slots of motherboard.

As i said initially i just got 2GB ram recognized, and now 4GB after unplugin all the mems from motherboard.. but i still miss 2GB.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
a c 347 } Memory
June 29, 2011 1:45:41 AM

Running Memtest is pointless, so the next and simplest is to determine if this is a DIMM or RAM issue. I assume that you're still running 'Defaults' or 1066MHz.

Using the second DIMM slot from the CPU rotate 1 stick per boot to see if it will boot, if they all work then you'll need to rotate the DIMM slots 1 -> 3 -> 5.

--- OR 'try' setting RAM to spec & see if problem resolves ---

Set the RAM per spec. The problem is 1866 MHz 'most' of the time on the R3E requires a BCLK -> 160 which means either lowering the CPU Multiplier or OC the CPU.

There are many different approaches, I prefer doing it all manually.

3200 / 133.33 = 24
3200 / 160 = 20

AI Overclocker -> Manual
BCLK -> 160 MHz
CPU Ratio Setting -> 20

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1866 MHz
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 24
--
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
-
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.35~1.38v
DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.65~1.68v

CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 - http://www.corsair.com/cmt6gx3m3a1866c9.html
June 29, 2011 10:14:36 AM

Ok i just solved it !

I had one of the motherboard switches called DRAM in off. When i got this motherboard i thought that this switch was only for overclocking purposes but it seems it isn't only for that... i put it On and now i've my 6GB ram working !

Thanks all for support.
a c 347 } Memory
June 29, 2011 12:28:11 PM

So it was a DIMM issue - one way or the other...

Glad to Hear :) 
August 1, 2011 11:09:57 AM

Where is this switch located? I can't find it on my board and i'm having a similar issue.
August 4, 2011 3:29:08 AM

verve said:
Ok i just solved it !

I had one of the motherboard switches called DRAM in off. When i got this motherboard i thought that this switch was only for overclocking purposes but it seems it isn't only for that... i put it On and now i've my 6GB ram working !

Thanks all for support.

Care to tell us how you turned it on and where it is located?
November 4, 2011 3:55:47 PM

WHERE IS THE G/D DRAM SWITCH??!!
November 4, 2011 3:58:02 PM

verve said:
Ok i just solved it !

Thanks all for support.

WHERE, WHERE IS THE DRAM SWITCH!!!
!