Sign in with
Your question

Building the PC - A few Questions and Pics

Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2010 9:12:13 AM

Hello all,

With help from the members of this site I recently ordered some PC parts and will start building it soon (if interested it was this thread).

I am making a new thread in which I could post building questions and eventually some pics of the system itself.

For reference, the main items in the system are:

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower
MoBo: MSI Big Bang-XPower
CPU: I7-930
RAM:CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CAS 8-8-8-24
HDD: 2x: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM (in RAID 0)
GFX: 2x: MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC
PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750

I have been reading up the manuals and have a few questions related to the power hookup:

The PSU has the following connectors:
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
2 x 4+4-Pin ATX/EPS 12V
8 x Peripheral
12 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E

1. The 2x 460GTX's each take 2x 6 pin PCI-E's, so that works out nicely, but there is an extra 6-pin slot for the GPUs in the MoBo (see just above left of the PCI slot in this picture. Is it worth plugging this one in, would it lower heat or provide more stable power? (would be in the form of 2x molex (the peripherals listed above?) -> 6 pin)

2. The are 2 EPS (8 pin 12V CPU power) connectors in both the MoBo (see above left of the DRMOS sign in this screenshot) and the PSU provides them as well. The same question as above, what are the benifits to plugging both in? I will likely not need both, but if it lowers temps or offers a more stable power I would like to go for it.

3. The case has a total of 7 or 8 fans (with the optionals), while the MoBo only has 4 sysfan connections. Should I plug them all into the MoBo or just the intake in the MoBo and the exhaust fans directly into the PSU?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 9:17:46 AM

1. If you don't have a 6-pin spare on your PSU then i wouldn't bother unless the motherboard says you absolutely have to.

2. 2 EPS 12V sockets is on the board to help with overclocking, as you say it provides more stable power and more amp throughput.

3. The exhaust fans should probably plug to the motherboard. There are fan control modules you can buy with little dials so you can control fan speeds manually. They either stick out of the back in one of the peripheral slots or out the front out of a 5.25" or 3.5" bay.
August 19, 2010 9:40:13 AM

Thanks for the answers.

I'll plug in the 6-pin on the MoBo anyway then since it should provide more stable power to the GPU's and I have the 2x Molex -> 6pin PCI handy anyway.

What is the reasoning behind plugging in the intake/exhaust fans into the MoBo? Most of the fans on the case come with dials already, so I can manually lower the voltage/RPM on those.

Basically I would like to plug in the fans that will have the biggest impact on overall System temperature into the MoBo so I do not have to constantly filddle with them if the temp goes up or down.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 9:51:20 AM

All the fans that have dials can't generally be put into the mobo anyway because it already has the dial controlling it. The fans that have the 3-pin connectors should go into the mobo. Exhaust fans are always good to stick in the mobo because when stuff starts heating up, you'll want those to spin faster to get rid of the increased hot air. Generally intake fans are the ones with manual dials so just turn those up when you can.
August 19, 2010 10:43:46 AM

Alright, I will give it a shot over the next few days and post some pics in this thread when I can.
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 7:42:52 PM

Normally, a 8 pin cpu connector is sufficient. Often half is blocked off so even a 4 pin may be sufficient. Extra power for the cpu may be needed for high wattage cpu's or for high overclocking. Your motherboard has two such 8 pin connectors available since it is designed for extreme overclocking. Since you have two 8 pin connectors, I see no negative in connecting them up. The motherboard will only use what it needs.

Your motherboard has 6 pci-e slots. If you were to fill them all up, the motherboard could not supply all of them with sufficient power, hence the need for an auxiliary 6 pin connector. It would not hurt to connect it up, but with only two graphics cards, it is probably not necessary.

For the case fans, I think I would connect them all up to the psu molex connectors. They each have manual speed adjusters on them. I think a constant speed is less obtrusive than constantly adjusting speeds. For the 1200, if you set them all to low, then you will have ample cooling and almost no noise.

If you connect them to the motherboard connectors, then you have various ways of adjusting the speeds via a program such as speedfan.
August 27, 2010 9:53:57 AM

Success! The hardware part of the build is complete!
Everything is detected so far, and they are working (as far as BIOS is concerned at their stock (or lower for RAM) settings.
Note: System Specs are in the above posts.

Before I go any farther I would like to thank the people here for their help so far and also that Pictures will follow after I get home.

I do have a few minor concerns:
1. Temperature:
Ambient = 26 C
CPU Idles around 35-36 (while browsing in BIOS)
System was at around 35 (Is this the MoBo temp?)
No OC yet
Thermal paste: Arctic Cooling ARCTIC MX-3 (applied 3-4 hours ago)
Is this temp normal? I will do some more tests after I load on the OS + programs today or tomorrow.

2. The PSU fan starts and its fan spins for a few seconds but does nothing after that. Is there any way to monitor PSU temps and see if the fan starts up again later?

3. The monitor (Samsung Syncmaster P2450H) slowly flickers through all the connection types before finding the "correct" DVI (digital Input). It flicks through HDMI, Analog and then DVI. The problem with this is that it is so slow I miss the POST options.

In the spirit of helping others who have a similar build I will post the issues (I am sure all are known, and many are probably a bit Noobish):
1. The EPS12V (2x 4 pin CPU power) had 1 4 pin connector keyed properly to the slot in the MoBo, but the other 4 pin was all half rounded pins (see this picture for an example)! It did not match the key on the 2nd section of the 8 pin MoBo Connection (see this picture for an example).
After a bit of stress and some reading up on the net it seems you can plug it in anyway and that rounded pins fit in square ones with no issue.

2. The Noctua PF-12 fan is nice because of reduced noise due to little rubber clips which you poke through instead of a screw (see picture. However, if you have no way of gripping these clips and pulling them from inside the case (if it is in the top corner of your case for example) they are rediculously hard to push in from the oustide.

3. Cable management: Try to set it up from the start (which I did). But also make sure that the side of your case can still fit in the way you have set it up (which I learned the hard way). This was due to 2 thick wires crossing over each other not allowing the side panel to fit back on (without some serious bending).

4. Make sure the MoBo you buy not only has enough room for all of things you want to put in it, but fits them to your tastes. For example, I chose not to install the E-Sata expansion slot because the wire would be resting on one of the Gfx cards.

5. Make sure your power cables are long enough! In my system, the Antec 1200 is a big case (I knew it would be), but it is so big that a few power cables fit to the top back corner of my MoBo could not be routed around the back without extensions (which I did not want to get).

6. For those of you doing this for a first time (or in my case first time alone) give yourself plenty of time. Some things may take a lot longer than planned. I was up really late because I did not want to leave a Mobo half installed and it is better to these things while fresh.
August 28, 2010 6:25:16 PM

I uploaded some pictures and ran some tests on the new PC. I do still have three questions/issues though:

3. The PSU fan starts up briefly and then does not spin. After a strenuous benchmark session, I shutdown, unplugged and felt its temp and it was not hot.. but is this behavior normal? Shouldn't the fan be on all the time?

2. Speedfan has one item "temp2" which constantly runs at 50-60 C (no matter what I do). This is ~20 degrees higher than anything else and I cannot seem to get the temperature down. Does anyone know what this item would be? (see a screenshot of speedfan below).

3. Does anyone know a good program to check HDD benchmarking?

Ok, I uploaded the pictures and a few benchmark results of the PC at stock speeds:

Benchmarks:

1.5 Hour of Prime95 with 4 Threads:

3dMark Vantage:

Pictures of the PC building phase:

Empty Case:

Empty Mobo + Case:

Mobo with Ram + CPU + heatsink installed:

Hardware Installed!:

!