for Flash

Flash, are you also posting on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati? I've been
having a problem with displaying colors and I posted a Q there. Thanks !

gP
26 answers Last reply
More about flash

    goPostal wrote:
    > Flash, are you also posting on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati? I've been
    > having a problem with displaying colors and I posted a Q there. Thanks !

    No, not me matey. This is the only ng I'm currently using.

    --
    Flash

    "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    > goPostal wrote:
    >> Flash, are you also posting on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati? I've been
    >> having a problem with displaying colors and I posted a Q there. Thanks !
    >
    > No, not me matey. This is the only ng I'm currently using.
    >
    > --
    > Flash

    Thanks anyway. It's about my luck.....

    Let me ask you guys. I know it's OT but I'm having a problem with my colors
    being "cartoonish" on my display. I've re-installed all my codecs, video
    drivers (even used the ATI destroyer), display adapter, and direct X. Cable
    maybe?

    goPostal enlightened us with:
    > Let me ask you guys. I know it's OT but I'm having a problem with my
    > colors being "cartoonish" on my display. I've re-installed all my
    > codecs, video drivers (even used the ATI destroyer), display
    > adapter, and direct X. Cable maybe?

    If you make a screenshot and look at it on a different monitor, how
    does that look? Tried hooking up another monitor? Try different
    monitor/cable combos too.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    > goPostal enlightened us with:
    >> Let me ask you guys. I know it's OT but I'm having a problem with my
    >> colors being "cartoonish" on my display. I've re-installed all my
    >> codecs, video drivers (even used the ATI destroyer), display
    >> adapter, and direct X. Cable maybe?
    >
    > If you make a screenshot and look at it on a different monitor, how
    > does that look? Tried hooking up another monitor? Try different
    > monitor/cable combos too.

    Yep, same. I'm really buggered about this one. I hooked a totally different
    monitor/cable up and still no joy. Oh, and the problem persists even in
    safe mode.
    I posted a screen cap in alt.binaries.games.unreal
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:38:35 -0800, "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote:

    >"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    >> goPostal enlightened us with:
    >>> Let me ask you guys. I know it's OT but I'm having a problem with my
    >>> colors being "cartoonish" on my display. I've re-installed all my
    >>> codecs, video drivers (even used the ATI destroyer), display
    >>> adapter, and direct X. Cable maybe?
    >>
    >> If you make a screenshot and look at it on a different monitor, how
    >> does that look? Tried hooking up another monitor? Try different
    >> monitor/cable combos too.
    >>

    >Yep, same. I'm really buggered about this one. I hooked a totally different
    >monitor/cable up and still no joy. Oh, and the problem persists even in
    >safe mode.
    >I posted a screen cap in alt.binaries.games.unreal

    What color depth are you using. That cap looks like the display
    properties are set for only 256 colors. Have you tried different
    color depths?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    goPostal enlightened us with:
    > Yep, same. I'm really buggered about this one. I hooked a totally
    > different monitor/cable up and still no joy. Oh, and the problem
    > persists even in safe mode. I posted a screen cap in
    > alt.binaries.games.unreal

    Screen shot looks like bollocks too, so it isn't a hardware issue -
    the image sent to the hardware is already corrupted.

    Now that I got your attention: send me an email or anything. I've
    tried contacting you for months, but I never got anything back. Never
    even got that GeForce you'd send.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > goPostal enlightened us with:
    >> Yep, same. I'm really buggered about this one. I hooked a totally
    >> different monitor/cable up and still no joy. Oh, and the problem
    >> persists even in safe mode. I posted a screen cap in
    >> alt.binaries.games.unreal
    >
    > Screen shot looks like bollocks too, so it isn't a hardware issue -
    > the image sent to the hardware is already corrupted.

    Could it be the card maybe? I'm going to jerk the card and see if it helps.
    It's probably some 2 cent resistor on the mobo going tits-up if my luck
    holds true. Still it gives me an excuse to crack my case and do a little
    spring cleaning.

    > Now that I got your attention: send me an email or anything. I've
    > tried contacting you for months, but I never got anything back. Never
    > even got that GeForce you'd send.

    Don't mean to sound dodgy, but I've been incredibly busy. With the move and
    all it's been a real bitch to get free time. I will post it again tomorrow.
    Look for it in a few days. I had to obliterate a bunch of labels on the box
    in order for it to go international. It's my fault as I didn't know the
    rules for shipping a US Priority mail box internationally. I'm sorry bud.
    When you get a couple of little Melts pulling at your pants legs, believe me
    you'll understand! :)

    ..
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:35:09 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

    > Download a Knoppix CD and boot from it. If that gives you proper
    > colours, it's a software error. If the colours are still off, it's a
    > hardware problem.
    >
    > MeltDown

    Still using a steamhammer to push a drawing pin into a wall?

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

    goPostal enlightened us with:
    > Don't mean to sound dodgy, but I've been incredibly busy. With the
    > move and all it's been a real bitch to get free time.

    Then at least send me an email. I've been waiting for months and
    months just for a small reaction from you.

    > I'm sorry bud. When you get a couple of little Melts pulling at
    > your pants legs, believe me you'll understand! :)

    LOL no worries - it's a gift I'm getting from you.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K enlightened us with:
    > Still using a steamhammer to push a drawing pin into a wall?

    What's that supposed to mean? Using Knoppix is a very easy way of
    getting a completely different software environment, which can be
    pretty good for eliminating problems. What's so hard about downloading
    and burning a single CD?

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:50:57 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

    > What's that supposed to mean?

    A touch of the old overkill, and not for the first time either.

    > Using Knoppix is a very easy way of getting a completely different
    > software environment, which can be pretty good for eliminating problems.

    Well, if you really must download a CD, is it impossible for you to
    recomend something that's relevant to the persons OS, instead of jamming
    Linux down their throats? Go look up "Hiren's CD".

    > What's so hard about downloading and burning a single CD?

    If you don't have a GUI... well, there's not that much DOS-based CD burner
    software available.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't your wonder solution supposed to
    resolve a GUI problem?

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K enlightened us with:
    > Well, if you really must download a CD, is it impossible for you to
    > recomend something that's relevant to the persons OS, instead of
    > jamming Linux down their throats?

    Just giving the advice I can give.

    > Go look up "Hiren's CD".

    So? Then you have a DOS CD that can do nifty things instead of a Linux
    CD that can do nifty things. The latter has a GUI.

    > If you don't have a GUI... well, there's not that much DOS-based CD
    > burner software available.

    I think the times where people didn't know anybody with a CD burner
    are kinda over... at least in the parts of the world where people play
    UT.

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't your wonder solution supposed to
    > resolve a GUI problem?

    No, it wasn't. It was ment to check if it was a software or a hardware
    problem. Having a GUI for that is useful, because it was a GUI
    problem.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    goPostal enlightened us with:
    > Well, got my problem solved. I tore the tower down and gave it a
    > good cleaning. Pulled my card and used the on-board video and it
    > cleared my problem.

    Nice one!

    > While I had it up I looked at the pic I posted and it looked fine,
    > so I started thinking it may be the card. I looked really closely at
    > the card and there was a bit of fuzz in one of the pin holes. I got
    > a fine needle out of the sewing kit and cleaned it out. Problem
    > solved. Occam's razor at work.

    Great work. Nice to know my idea of a screenshot worked ;-)

    > Sometimes I get so focused on the task at hand I neglect thinking
    > through things that are secondary.

    LOL :)

    > Anyhow thanks again to you guys for kick starting my thinking
    > process. Now I have a nice, clean box with the wiring all wrapped
    > and sorted. Beer's on me!

    Yay! Just send it over, you have my address ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:05:21 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

    > Just giving the advice I can give.

    [...]

    > So? Then you have a DOS CD that can do nifty things instead of a Linux
    > CD that can do nifty things. The latter has a GUI.

    The former is *also* menu-based. Trust me, there's a big wide world out
    there, beyond the meagre confines of your Linux-biased view.

    > I think the times where people didn't know anybody with a CD burner
    > are kinda over... at least in the parts of the world where people play
    > UT.

    Ah. So, let me get this straight...:
    "My system has a fault, yeah, er... can you download a 700+MB CD for me so
    I can find out what's wrong?"

    Not only are you a Linux zealot, you also prey on peoples good nature.

    .... or you assume others will anyway.

    > No, it wasn't. It was ment to check if it was a software or a hardware
    > problem. Having a GUI for that is useful, because it was a GUI
    > problem.

    "No display" == hardware problem.
    "Display" == software problem.

    You really should try some fault-finding sometime. Switch a PC on, it
    beeps at you (provided the speaker's wired in). What do you think those
    beeps are for? To make the PC sound good?

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >Switch a PC on, it
    > beeps at you (provided the speaker's wired in). What do you think those
    > beeps are for? To make the PC sound good?

    I always thought it was to let me wife know that I'm up in the middle of the
    night downloading porn.

    Again.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:

    > Ah. So, let me get this straight...:
    > "My system has a fault, yeah, er... can you download a 700+MB CD for me so
    > I can find out what's wrong?"

    I think, and I know lots of others think, that LiveCD's are a superb
    method of PC fault testing. I carry around a Knoppix CD when
    troubleshooting, it really IS a very useful way of ruling out hardware
    fault, something that's not very easy to do as I'm sure you're aware. 10
    years ago I used to carry around dos boot disks to achieve the same thing.

    700mb is nothing for most internet users to download.

    Whatever problems you have with Melt, this isn't a good arguement to try
    and turn against him. His suggestion was valid and a genuine attempt to
    help.

    Your suggestion and help, well, wasn't there. At all.

    --
    Flash
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K enlightened us with:
    > Listen to others, instead of yourself. That way, you learn faster.

    I'm done with you. Welcome to my killfile.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:00:24 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

    > I'm done with you. Welcome to my killfile.

    As I said, listen to others, not yourself.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Flash enlightened us with:
    > I think, and I know lots of others think, that LiveCD's are a superb
    > method of PC fault testing.

    Thanks for the support. Mr. K seems to think I'm some sort of
    horrible parasite just because I offered the idea of using Knoppix.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Flash <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> Blessed us with news:dsidnRtvp-
    gokUncRVnytA@eclipse.net.uk:

    > 700mb is nothing for most internet users to download.

    Gawd I wish! Let's see I have a 56k dial up modem that is limited by
    my ISP to an even slower 26.4k. So I can only download 1mb in a
    minimum of 10 minutes. Okay 700mb times 10 minutes per mb = 7000
    minutes divided by 60 = 116.6 hours divided by 24 = 4.86 days for me
    to download one 700mb CD's worth of data and this is non stop from
    start to finish. I have other things I'd like to be using my ISP
    for but I guess I'm just jealous of you guys on broad band that can
    download 700mb in just a couple of hours!. lol :) The weird thing
    is I pay as much as most other people pay to get 56k and the reason
    is because it's the only local ISP in my area so they seem to think
    they can get away with it. :( I could get another ISP that's more
    long distance but I will still have the same slow problems. No cable
    TV here! :( Satellite is good for downloading stuff but not for
    playing on servers because of the upload limitations and I can't get
    DSL because I live 16 miles from my telephone company. :( Grrrr..
    lol

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."
    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003, or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:55:17 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:35:09 +0100, MeltDown wrote:
    >
    >> Download a Knoppix CD and boot from it. If that gives you proper
    >> colours, it's a software error. If the colours are still off, it's a
    >> hardware problem.
    >>
    >> MeltDown
    >
    >Still using a steamhammer to push a drawing pin into a wall?

    Actually it's a very good idea. It's a relatively easy way to
    determine if the issue is hardware or software.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:
    > Flash enlightened us with:
    >
    >>I think, and I know lots of others think, that LiveCD's are a superb
    >>method of PC fault testing.
    >

    > Thanks for the support. Mr. K seems to think I'm some sort of
    > horrible parasite just because I offered the idea of using Knoppix.
    >
    > MeltDown

    Yeah just ignore K, always has, always is, and always will be a troll :)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    [Fitz]Tutenkamu{AGUT} enlightened us with:
    > Yeah just ignore K, always has, always is, and always will be a
    > troll :)

    Well, I used to agree with him most of the time, and found him to be
    quite funny. Right now he's completely lost touch with reality,
    though.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:
    > [Fitz]Tutenkamu{AGUT} enlightened us with:
    >
    >>Yeah just ignore K, always has, always is, and always will be a
    >>troll :)
    >

    > Well, I used to agree with him most of the time, and found him to be
    > quite funny. Right now he's completely lost touch with reality,
    > though.
    >
    > MeltDown

    The thing I find odd is that he doesn't even play the game(s) yet still
    frequents this newsgroup.....
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:29:00 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:00:24 +0100, MeltDown wrote:
    >
    >> I'm done with you. Welcome to my killfile.
    >
    >As I said, listen to others, not yourself.

    Well, I for one am about as Anit-Linux as anyone, But the advice of
    booting with a knoppix CD is about as solid advice as anyone can give
    without actually having the PC in question in hand. I only have a
    knoppix CD around because a friend sent it to me to try out. Honestly,
    I couldn't find much of anything I liked about Knoppix,,, except the
    ability to get me whatever I could need off the 'net or whatever if my
    OS (Win XP Pro) were to ever get stuffed. To me, downloading a CD is
    no huge feat.

    You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
    that will make things a lot smoother.
    -Felatio Love
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 30 Dec 2004 23:09:31 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

    >Flash <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> Blessed us with news:dsidnRtvp-
    >gokUncRVnytA@eclipse.net.uk:
    >
    >> 700mb is nothing for most internet users to download.
    >
    >Gawd I wish! Let's see I have a 56k dial up modem that is limited by
    >my ISP to an even slower 26.4k. So I can only download 1mb in a
    >minimum of 10 minutes. Okay 700mb times 10 minutes per mb = 7000
    >minutes divided by 60 = 116.6 hours divided by 24 = 4.86 days for me
    >to download one 700mb CD's worth of data and this is non stop from
    >start to finish. I have other things I'd like to be using my ISP
    >for but I guess I'm just jealous of you guys on broad band that can
    >download 700mb in just a couple of hours!. lol :) The weird thing
    >is I pay as much as most other people pay to get 56k and the reason
    >is because it's the only local ISP in my area so they seem to think
    >they can get away with it. :( I could get another ISP that's more
    >long distance but I will still have the same slow problems. No cable
    >TV here! :( Satellite is good for downloading stuff but not for
    >playing on servers because of the upload limitations and I can't get
    >DSL because I live 16 miles from my telephone company. :( Grrrr..
    >lol
    Where are you that there's no Cable and dialup is capped? I live in
    Rural Alaska, and even here i can get 1mbit (although the DL is capped
    at 20 gig/month.

    You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
    that will make things a lot smoother.
    -Felatio Love

Flash Games ATI Video Games