Flash, are you also posting on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati? I've been
having a problem with displaying colors and I posted a Q there. Thanks !

gP

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

goPostal wrote:
> Flash, are you also posting on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati? I've been
> having a problem with displaying colors and I posted a Q there. Thanks !

No, not me matey. This is the only ng I'm currently using.

--
Flash

"Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
> goPostal wrote:
>> Flash, are you also posting on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati? I've been
>> having a problem with displaying colors and I posted a Q there. Thanks !
>
> No, not me matey. This is the only ng I'm currently using.
>
> --
> Flash

Thanks anyway. It's about my luck.....

Let me ask you guys. I know it's OT but I'm having a problem with my colors
being "cartoonish" on my display. I've re-installed all my codecs, video
drivers (even used the ATI destroyer), display adapter, and direct X. Cable
maybe?

Meltdown

goPostal enlightened us with:
> Let me ask you guys. I know it's OT but I'm having a problem with my
> colors being "cartoonish" on my display. I've re-installed all my
> codecs, video drivers (even used the ATI destroyer), display
> adapter, and direct X. Cable maybe?

If you make a screenshot and look at it on a different monitor, how
does that look? Tried hooking up another monitor? Try different
monitor/cable combos too.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
> goPostal enlightened us with:
>> Let me ask you guys. I know it's OT but I'm having a problem with my
>> colors being "cartoonish" on my display. I've re-installed all my
>> codecs, video drivers (even used the ATI destroyer), display
>> adapter, and direct X. Cable maybe?
>
> If you make a screenshot and look at it on a different monitor, how
> does that look? Tried hooking up another monitor? Try different
> monitor/cable combos too.

Yep, same. I'm really buggered about this one. I hooked a totally different
monitor/cable up and still no joy. Oh, and the problem persists even in
safe mode.
I posted a screen cap in alt.binaries.games.unreal

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:38:35 -0800, "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote:

>"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
>> goPostal enlightened us with:
>>> Let me ask you guys. I know it's OT but I'm having a problem with my
>>> colors being "cartoonish" on my display. I've re-installed all my
>>> codecs, video drivers (even used the ATI destroyer), display
>>> adapter, and direct X. Cable maybe?
>>
>> If you make a screenshot and look at it on a different monitor, how
>> does that look? Tried hooking up another monitor? Try different
>> monitor/cable combos too.
>>

>Yep, same. I'm really buggered about this one. I hooked a totally different
>monitor/cable up and still no joy. Oh, and the problem persists even in
>safe mode.
>I posted a screen cap in alt.binaries.games.unreal

What color depth are you using. That cap looks like the display
properties are set for only 256 colors. Have you tried different
color depths?

Meltdown

goPostal enlightened us with:
> Yep, same. I'm really buggered about this one. I hooked a totally
> different monitor/cable up and still no joy. Oh, and the problem
> persists even in safe mode. I posted a screen cap in
> alt.binaries.games.unreal

Screen shot looks like bollocks too, so it isn't a hardware issue -
the image sent to the hardware is already corrupted.

Now that I got your attention: send me an email or anything. I've
tried contacting you for months, but I never got anything back. Never
even got that GeForce you'd send.

> goPostal enlightened us with:
>> Yep, same. I'm really buggered about this one. I hooked a totally
>> different monitor/cable up and still no joy. Oh, and the problem
>> persists even in safe mode. I posted a screen cap in
>> alt.binaries.games.unreal
>
> Screen shot looks like bollocks too, so it isn't a hardware issue -
> the image sent to the hardware is already corrupted.

Could it be the card maybe? I'm going to jerk the card and see if it helps.
It's probably some 2 cent resistor on the mobo going tits-up if my luck
holds true. Still it gives me an excuse to crack my case and do a little
spring cleaning.

> Now that I got your attention: send me an email or anything. I've
> tried contacting you for months, but I never got anything back. Never
> even got that GeForce you'd send.

Don't mean to sound dodgy, but I've been incredibly busy. With the move and
all it's been a real bitch to get free time. I will post it again tomorrow.
Look for it in a few days. I had to obliterate a bunch of labels on the box
in order for it to go international. It's my fault as I didn't know the
rules for shipping a US Priority mail box internationally. I'm sorry bud.
When you get a couple of little Melts pulling at your pants legs, believe me
you'll understand! :)

..

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:35:09 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

> Download a Knoppix CD and boot from it. If that gives you proper
> colours, it's a software error. If the colours are still off, it's a
> hardware problem.
>
> MeltDown

Still using a steamhammer to push a drawing pin into a wall?

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Meltdown

goPostal enlightened us with:
> Don't mean to sound dodgy, but I've been incredibly busy. With the
> move and all it's been a real bitch to get free time.

Then at least send me an email. I've been waiting for months and
months just for a small reaction from you.

> I'm sorry bud. When you get a couple of little Melts pulling at
> your pants legs, believe me you'll understand! :)

LOL no worries - it's a gift I'm getting from you.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Meltdown

Mr K enlightened us with:
> Still using a steamhammer to push a drawing pin into a wall?

What's that supposed to mean? Using Knoppix is a very easy way of
getting a completely different software environment, which can be
pretty good for eliminating problems. What's so hard about downloading
and burning a single CD?

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:50:57 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

> What's that supposed to mean?

A touch of the old overkill, and not for the first time either.

> Using Knoppix is a very easy way of getting a completely different
> software environment, which can be pretty good for eliminating problems.

Well, if you really must download a CD, is it impossible for you to
recomend something that's relevant to the persons OS, instead of jamming
Linux down their throats? Go look up "Hiren's CD".

> What's so hard about downloading and burning a single CD?

If you don't have a GUI... well, there's not that much DOS-based CD burner
software available.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't your wonder solution supposed to
resolve a GUI problem?

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Meltdown

Mr K enlightened us with:
> Well, if you really must download a CD, is it impossible for you to
> recomend something that's relevant to the persons OS, instead of
> jamming Linux down their throats?

Just giving the advice I can give.

> Go look up "Hiren's CD".

So? Then you have a DOS CD that can do nifty things instead of a Linux
CD that can do nifty things. The latter has a GUI.

> If you don't have a GUI... well, there's not that much DOS-based CD
> burner software available.

I think the times where people didn't know anybody with a CD burner
are kinda over... at least in the parts of the world where people play
UT.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't your wonder solution supposed to
> resolve a GUI problem?

No, it wasn't. It was ment to check if it was a software or a hardware
problem. Having a GUI for that is useful, because it was a GUI
problem.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Meltdown

goPostal enlightened us with:
> Well, got my problem solved. I tore the tower down and gave it a
> good cleaning. Pulled my card and used the on-board video and it
> cleared my problem.

Nice one!

> While I had it up I looked at the pic I posted and it looked fine,
> so I started thinking it may be the card. I looked really closely at
> the card and there was a bit of fuzz in one of the pin holes. I got
> a fine needle out of the sewing kit and cleaned it out. Problem
> solved. Occam's razor at work.

Great work. Nice to know my idea of a screenshot worked ;-)

> Sometimes I get so focused on the task at hand I neglect thinking
> through things that are secondary.

LOL :)

> Anyhow thanks again to you guys for kick starting my thinking
> process. Now I have a nice, clean box with the wiring all wrapped
> and sorted. Beer's on me!

Yay! Just send it over, you have my address ;-)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:05:21 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

> Just giving the advice I can give.

[...]

> So? Then you have a DOS CD that can do nifty things instead of a Linux
> CD that can do nifty things. The latter has a GUI.

The former is *also* menu-based. Trust me, there's a big wide world out
there, beyond the meagre confines of your Linux-biased view.

> I think the times where people didn't know anybody with a CD burner
> are kinda over... at least in the parts of the world where people play
> UT.

Ah. So, let me get this straight...:
"My system has a fault, yeah, er... can you download a 700+MB CD for me so
I can find out what's wrong?"

Not only are you a Linux zealot, you also prey on peoples good nature.

.... or you assume others will anyway.

> No, it wasn't. It was ment to check if it was a software or a hardware
> problem. Having a GUI for that is useful, because it was a GUI
> problem.

"No display" == hardware problem.
"Display" == software problem.

You really should try some fault-finding sometime. Switch a PC on, it
beeps at you (provided the speaker's wired in). What do you think those
beeps are for? To make the PC sound good?

--

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>Switch a PC on, it
> beeps at you (provided the speaker's wired in). What do you think those
> beeps are for? To make the PC sound good?

I always thought it was to let me wife know that I'm up in the middle of the
night downloading porn.

Again.

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Mr K wrote:

> Ah. So, let me get this straight...:
> "My system has a fault, yeah, er... can you download a 700+MB CD for me so
> I can find out what's wrong?"

I think, and I know lots of others think, that LiveCD's are a superb
method of PC fault testing. I carry around a Knoppix CD when
troubleshooting, it really IS a very useful way of ruling out hardware
fault, something that's not very easy to do as I'm sure you're aware. 10
years ago I used to carry around dos boot disks to achieve the same thing.

700mb is nothing for most internet users to download.

Whatever problems you have with Melt, this isn't a good arguement to try
and turn against him. His suggestion was valid and a genuine attempt to
help.

Your suggestion and help, well, wasn't there. At all.

--
Flash

Meltdown

Mr K enlightened us with:
> Listen to others, instead of yourself. That way, you learn faster.

I'm done with you. Welcome to my killfile.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:00:24 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

> I'm done with you. Welcome to my killfile.

As I said, listen to others, not yourself.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Meltdown

Flash enlightened us with:
> I think, and I know lots of others think, that LiveCD's are a superb
> method of PC fault testing.

Thanks for the support. Mr. K seems to think I'm some sort of
horrible parasite just because I offered the idea of using Knoppix.

Flash <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> Blessed us with news:dsidnRtvp-
gokUncRVnytA@eclipse.net.uk:

> 700mb is nothing for most internet users to download.

Gawd I wish! Let's see I have a 56k dial up modem that is limited by
my ISP to an even slower 26.4k. So I can only download 1mb in a
minimum of 10 minutes. Okay 700mb times 10 minutes per mb = 7000
minutes divided by 60 = 116.6 hours divided by 24 = 4.86 days for me
to download one 700mb CD's worth of data and this is non stop from
start to finish. I have other things I'd like to be using my ISP
for but I guess I'm just jealous of you guys on broad band that can
download 700mb in just a couple of hours!. lol :) The weird thing
is I pay as much as most other people pay to get 56k and the reason
is because it's the only local ISP in my area so they seem to think
they can get away with it. :( I could get another ISP that's more
long distance but I will still have the same slow problems. No cable
TV here! :( Satellite is good for downloading stuff but not for
playing on servers because of the upload limitations and I can't get
DSL because I live 16 miles from my telephone company. :( Grrrr..
lol

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."
Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003, or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:55:17 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:35:09 +0100, MeltDown wrote:
>
>> Download a Knoppix CD and boot from it. If that gives you proper
>> colours, it's a software error. If the colours are still off, it's a
>> hardware problem.
>>
>> MeltDown
>
>Still using a steamhammer to push a drawing pin into a wall?

Actually it's a very good idea. It's a relatively easy way to
determine if the issue is hardware or software.

MeltDown wrote:
> Flash enlightened us with:
>
>>I think, and I know lots of others think, that LiveCD's are a superb
>>method of PC fault testing.
>

> Thanks for the support. Mr. K seems to think I'm some sort of
> horrible parasite just because I offered the idea of using Knoppix.
>
> MeltDown

Yeah just ignore K, always has, always is, and always will be a troll :)

Meltdown

[Fitz]Tutenkamu{AGUT} enlightened us with:
> Yeah just ignore K, always has, always is, and always will be a
> troll :)

Well, I used to agree with him most of the time, and found him to be
quite funny. Right now he's completely lost touch with reality,
though.

MeltDown wrote:
> [Fitz]Tutenkamu{AGUT} enlightened us with:
>
>>Yeah just ignore K, always has, always is, and always will be a
>>troll :)
>

> Well, I used to agree with him most of the time, and found him to be
> quite funny. Right now he's completely lost touch with reality,
> though.
>
> MeltDown

The thing I find odd is that he doesn't even play the game(s) yet still
frequents this newsgroup.....