Sign in with
Your question

Transfer rate

Last response: in Storage
November 21, 2012 8:23:33 PM

hi, this Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB and is connected to my SATA3 controller. i have an i5 + 8gb DDR and when im copying a folder for example to the same directory the transfer speed starts at 160MB/S and quickly drops to 60-80. when im looking at benchmarks for this hdd i should get about 156MB/S on average (also according to seagate data sheet). it is SATA3 which suppose to work on 600MB/S.

what is the problem?

thank you,

More about : transfer rate

a c 85 G Storage
November 21, 2012 8:39:33 PM

The transfer speed would be copying from this drive to another drive, The way you are doing it, it is reading and writing to the same drive, so the transfer speed will be slower. Also just because Sta 3 is capable of a speed(whatever it is) doesn't mean that any device attached to it will run at that speed. Even a SSD won't get 600MB/S.
m
l
November 21, 2012 8:49:13 PM

ss202sl said:
The transfer speed would be copying from this drive to another drive, The way you are doing it, it is reading and writing to the same drive, so the transfer speed will be slower. Also just because Sta 3 is capable of a speed(whatever it is) doesn't mean that any device attached to it will run at that speed. Even a SSD won't get 600MB/S.

thank you for replying, why when im copying to the same partition the speed is slower?
do you know in what circumstances i can see my drive transferring at 156MB/S?
m
l
!