Sign in with
Your question

I want to Upgrade my HP

Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2010 11:36:36 AM

HI Guyz i have an HP and i want to know if i can upgrade and what can i upgrade, ok here is my mother board

Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION
Model Maureen

North Bridge Intel GM45/GM47 Revision 07
South Bridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) Revision 07

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
Cpu Socket Socket P (478)
Maximum Capacity 8192 MBytes
Memory Slots 2

I am tottaly noob at the pC so if u want more information let me know what information...
and dont forget suggest me graphics processors and more ty

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 3:28:58 PM

Yeah, the fact that its a laptop makes a pretty big difference. What model HP is the computer?

Generally, when upgrading laptops, particularly major manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc.) you don't have very many options for upgrading (which is pretty much true for laptops in general).

You can usually upgrade the harddisk drive, the optical drive, and the RAM without any problems.

Upgrading the CPU may be more of an issue, but is possible.

In terms of Graphics, you are stuck, as it is highly unlikely your laptop with be large enough to carry a discrete graphics card. This means you are stuck with the Graphics processor that is built into the motherboard - this cannot be upgraded.

What is the problem you are having with the computer? (Is it slow?)

How much RAM do you have in the computer now? If it is a slowness thing, my best recommendation is to upgrade the RAM (particularly if you only have like 256 or 512).

Here is a like to your motherboard, and it outlines your upgrade options for the RAM:
Link to MotherBoard.

Edit: Apparently there is a PCI x16 expansion slot and two PCI x1 slots. (so looks like discrete graphics may be possible, however, I am not familiar with graphics cards for laptops).
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 3:55:29 PM

jared51182 said:
How much RAM do you have in the computer now? If it is a slowness thing, my best recommendation is to upgrade the RAM (particularly if you only have like 256 or 512).
Jared, this is a fairly newish model as in a C2D. C2D's have never been shipped with 256/512 RAM.

The question is whether he has 2 GB or not. Not whether he has 256 MB or 512.

@ steve99 - If indeed it's a slowness thing, you might not even need to spend a penny actually. It's almost always a software / maintenance issue.

Clean out the temporary files, defrag your disks, do a disk clean-up - remove junk programs, remove unwanted start-up entries, clean your registry, check your comp for virii and/or malware, and that should do the job. If nothing else works, there's nothing a clean install can't solve.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 4:48:40 PM

calguy, thanks for clarifying. I am busy at work, and just was throwing out suggestions with the information given. I will pass this one on to you! ;-)
August 19, 2010 6:45:27 PM

LOL my ram is 4 GB... My graphic card ram is 256! :S
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 7:23:50 PM

You still haven't given the model name. Anyways, see if you can upgrade the processor. The links I provided are all compatible with your Mobo.

But your specs seem good enough as it is. I don't see you needing to change too many things.

Just as I had said earlier, try cleaning everything out & if even that doesn't quicken things up, back everything up and do a clean re-install. That should be the final recourse.
August 19, 2010 7:59:49 PM

i am noob. i dont know the model how can i find it... But i think this is the model

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Family 103C_53316J
Product Name VG188AA-ARL IQ522gr
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2010 4:59:37 AM

The owner's manual / Receipt should have the brand and model number. Also, almost every laptop has the manufacturer's label on the bottom of the computer. This label should have the brand and model number on it.

If you can't find either, do this -

1. Click 'Start' on the bottom left of the screen.
2. 'Programs' > 'Accessories' > 'System Tools' > 'System Information'.
3. Your computer's manufacturer, model, etc. will be listed under System manufacturer / System Model
August 20, 2010 7:23:29 AM

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model VG188AA-ARL IQ522gr
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.03, 5/12/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5

Thats all i got!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 21, 2010 3:04:13 AM

I don't think you need any upgrades on this PC, especially since it's still within the warranty period, right?

If you wanna play games, that's different. You need more powerful graphics in that case. Otherwise, update your BIOS (If a newer version is available), and update your drivers through windows update.

That should do it for now. Of course, as I said earlier, you can always go with a faster processor, but first, go through the other steps & see if that's enough for now.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 21, 2010 3:05:07 AM

P.S. - I'm not sure, but I think Tinkering with your comp's hardware within the warranty period might nullify the warranty.
!