New physx card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I currently have a Sapphire Vapor-X 5750, and a 512mb Asus 9600gt top for physx. I am going to add a second 5750 and move the Physx card down to the bottom PCI express slot on my board. This creates a few problems.

1. It is in an Antec 300 case with a bottom mounted power supply, and the card is a dual slot card that vents inside the case so the power supply will suck in all of the heat generated by it.

2. It runs hot to begin with, and there is no PWM on the fan. It idles at 45 with great airflow, and gets up to 60C just doing Physx. (Used to get up to 75C when gaming on it)

3. I have an Antec True Power Trio 550w PS, and I'm running a Core i3. I know a lot of people will tell me I need a 5,000w power supply, but looking at power consumption in reviews using a power hungry core i7 my PS should be able to handle 2 5750's alone, but i know my 9600gt sucks a lot of power.

I am trying to sell my 9600gt, and I want to buy a different Physx card. It has to be a single slot card, put out less heat, and consume less energy. I will buy a new PS if it can't handle it, but I want to try it first. I wouldn't imagine a physx card would use too much energy since it barely works the card.

I've been looking at the gts240 and 9800gt EE which is the low power version. My limit is $90 but if I can find a decent used or open box card I'll get it. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.