Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
So.. back with a lot of info that I've read, but still lots of confusion..

Looking at getting:
Headphones: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15660
Speakers: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=567_895&products_id=12298
Sound Card: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=211&products_id=10940
(I am in Australia if you hadn't picked that up yet)

Looking at all the different inputs/outputs of the items in question, I'm still having trouble figuring out how I should connect them all together. The Headphones are 1/8", but come with a 1/4" adapter, so that looks fine. But I'm very mixed up as to how to connect the speakers. (If it makes any difference I'm wanting to add a sub later when I have a bit more $) I really love high quality sound, but I'm not a full on audiophile so explaining it in terms I'll understand would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Problem is getting stuff in Australia...... hard to source a lot of things. The sound card's mostly cos of the headphone amp. Was thinking of the Forte, but prefer not to support Creative lol.

And coming back from my second post, in order to use the originally posted speakers, I would need 2 RCA-3.5mm adaptors? (and nothing else in particular). These adaptors are used directly on the sound card, these are then plugged directly into the Speakers, without the need for the included Y cable adaptor thingy. Err.. yes?

Ed: aren't those passives as well tho?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello, yes you are correct, you would use 2 RCA to 3.5mm cords to go from your SoundCard output to your speakers. As for the speakers they seem to be a quite expensive and I do not know if the cost for them is justifiable(is that in AU or USD?) I do not know anything of that model of speakers, but you should easily be able to get surround sound for that price, that is your call to make.

Here is a Microsoft guide that I have found when I was hooking up my SoundCard to my TV's surround sound:

Connect an A/V receiver to your PC: This link has information on surrond sound, I know your only doing 2 speakers, but the same principles apply to your setup and are also covered here. [EDIT] After looking closly at your setup it seems that the information in this link really doesnt apply to anything your trying to do, Sorry.

I hope this helps you undersand the connections you need to make and how to get them setup properly.

[SIDE NOTE]: One other thing to consider is if you are going to primarly use headphones or your speakers because you can buy a nice soundcard(The ASUS are very good from what I have read so no problem there) and a high quality set of headphones or speakers and save money by not getting both. Also consider the fact that you can use a regular home theater set like ones intended for your TV and hook that up to your PC and also have the ability to use it on your TV if you chose. IMHO, if you are planning on spending that much you should go for surround sound as the quality/enjoyment will be much better than what you will get form a 2 speaker setup.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
(prices are AU)

Looking at the guide now, hopefully it'll help. Thanks.

headphones or speakers and save money by not getting both
Thought about it already. Problem being that I use both headphones and speakers quite a lot.

In regards to a surround system, for this sort of price you'd be looking at something like Logitech Z-5500. They lack mids and the bass is muddy. For surround, the headphones will do the job decently. From what I've read the Dolby Headphones emulation thing on the sound card does a very good job.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
EDITED, to remove mistakes.

Well I feel like a complete fool and I am truly sorry if I caused you confusion, and it seems like you have already looked at your other options quite well. Again I am sorry if I caused any confusion, I had made a mistake when looking at the soundcard and speakers.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Err.. you sort of lose me there.

To clarify - The soundcard's (std) output is 1 front left RCA and 1 front right RCA. The speakers have 1 front left 3.5mm and 1 front right 3.5mm. Doesn't that just mean 2 RCA-3.5mm converters/adapters?

Ed: Thinking about it.. the headphones come with a single RCA to 3.5mm adapter and so does the sound card. Neither are made for single channels, but with that said, would they work fine (with no sq loss or problems)?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Well, now I truly feel like a complete idiot, I should just give up for the day. Trying to help but the only one who needs help is me. :cry:

Yes you are correct, and others were also from the begining and I guess I was only by mistake. See I got confused because most sound cards output are 3.5mm and most speakers have RCA L+R input, but as it happens your choice of parts makes this the opposite of that setup.

Thier should be no audio quality loss as it is all analog signals and no converting done to it.

Your RCA to 3.5mm adapters will work, you need to be able to plug into your Left and Right channel from your sound card individually and each have there own cord with a 3.5mm end to go to your the right/left speaker, and as long as the adapters they give you are long enough to reach where they need to go, if not the something like this would be needed: 3.5mm Extension Cable - 6 ft.

I have one question for you about the speakers, I see a gold plated out to left/right on the back, what are these for? Oh and I see for a $100 more you can go wireless, that would solve this quick :lol:

Again I am sorry for my mistakes.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Update :)

Went to the Audioengine site and they have the pdf for setting up the speakers. There are actually 2 separate stereo 3.5mm inputs, one on the top (meant for ipods mp3 players etc) and one at the back. Included is an adaptor that converts left and right RCA to stereo 3.5mm. So all is well. Should be a great upgrade :D

Status
Not open for further replies.