A New SSD or Graphics Card?

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hey forum,

I am planning to buy both a new graphics card and an ssd but currently only have enough cash for one. My question is, should I buy an ssd first or upgrade my gpu? My pc is primarily used for document writing, normal media viewing (i.e. movies, videos, images, music, etc) and gaming. Also use photoshop, but only occasionally.

Currently, I have one 1.5tb western digital hdd and an Asus hd 5770, so either upgrade would be good. I was thinking of purchasing a 256gb ssd first (either a samsung 830 or 840 pro, depending on whether its price will drop), as it would be the cheaper compared to a new gpu. If I were to purchase a gpu I would probably buy a hd7870 or maybe a hd7950 if there is a significant performance increase, however the only problem would be that I would have to save up a bit longer. My budget right now is NZ$300 (US$240 approx) but after a little bit of saving I could get up to NZ$500 (US$400 approx).

Thanks for your help! I am open to any suggestions too. :D

Solution

The OP has an HD 5770, not an HD 7950.

In my opinion the best to do with your budge is to get a GeForce GTX 670, or if can spend a bit more a HD 7970, as your 500W PSU should hadle both of them, if it is from a good brand.

ikaz

Distinguished
Well if you want if your into gaming I would by the 7870/7950 it will be a huge difference.

Also I have an older AMD AM3 based PC and I was looking to get a little more performance out of it when I ran across this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171667&Tpk=readycache

I google reviews on it and it seems pretty solid as a "cheap" add in if you don't want to reinstall all your application and windows which you would have to do if switching to a SSD. Now that is the lazy and cheap way but just wanted to give you another option.

Oh you may also want to state your full system spec, like proccessor and PSU.

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Hey there, thanks for replying!

Oops I was in too much of a rush! my system specs are:
Asus P8H67-M LE B3
Intel i5 2400
500W psu (cant remember brand)
8gb ddr3-1333
asus HD5770 gpu
1.5tb WD Caviar Green

after thinking through a bit, I thought that I might just get a gpu because right now I am coping with my hard drive's speeds, so an ssd can wait. After all, I reckon that a gpu upgrade would benefit more in my case.

As for the sandisk ready cache, I'd rather not purchase that as I am looking for an ssd that can hold all my programs and still have room for more (i.e. 256gb), but thanks for the suggestion!

Also, back to the gpu, which one would you recommend to me if I were planning to keep it for around 3 years? I was thinking the gtx670 or the 6950, but do you think the 7870 will do, taking into consideration that I will be updating the cpu and mobo, and maybe adding an extra hdd within a year?

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Your local lag is from that 5600rpm green drive. I bet if you were to pop in a 7200rpm hdd in first position you would see better speeds. SSD even more. A graphic card will help with streaming video, video games.

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Yeah that's why in the near future I am planning to upgrade both - I'll get an SSD first for the OS (windows 7), programs and games then I'll get another 7200rpm hdd for storage of files and I'll use the wd caviar green for files that aren't used much.

This is my plan, but I would rather purchase a new gpu right now because I currently play at 1920x1080 with the 5770 and new games aren't performing that well. Do you have any recommendations? Refer to my post above for what I'm looking for. Thanks!

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Your ram and processor is fine. I like Nvidia personally. That is because in all of my last computers they worked great, while stretching their limits. Others swear by Radeon. If drivers are are concern, (if you do Photoshop etc) then I would stick with Nvidia. That GTX 650 or 660 I think it is with 2gb of ram will set you up nicely for games whereas a 580t will help you better in video edit / photoshop.
Not always is the newest or most expensive the best way to go. If you are not going to use it, why pay for it. Like a Ferrari as an everyday car. Who wants to leave it in a Supermarket parking lot. Or like Cameras Most will never see over 14mp. Yet they sell 18 and 26mp for the sales people to say "It's a 26mp!" Great if you want to look at a picture that is 8 foot long by 5 feet tall and have it clear at 3 feet away. N/A in my opinion.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Correction I went and looked up your video card. That is fine too. Get yourself a new OS drive and park all your files on that green drive for storage. Update your hd7950 drivers too. That should rock it to the socket. Get any ssd that has about 250gb. Your application does not matter whether you are getting a Marvel. SandForce, LamD controller. Get the Sammy 840 256gb for low 100's or the Kingston 250gb same price.

jemm

Distinguished

The OP has an HD 5770, not an HD 7950.

In my opinion the best to do with your budge is to get a GeForce GTX 670, or if can spend a bit more a HD 7970, as your 500W PSU should hadle both of them, if it is from a good brand.

Solution

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Okay I think I'll just buy 670 soon, just gotta save i lil' more. My PSU should be good enough because although I can't remember what it is, I know that I bought a good quality one. Thanks for helping me everyone! :D