Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HD5770 crossfire crashes?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2010 5:03:04 PM

Hello! I just recently built a brand new computer and have been having some issues which have made the experience pretty disappointing.

First and foremost, my rig:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 GHZ black
Cooler: Corsair V8
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-10666 1333MHz 240-pin DDR
PSU: Corsair TX850 (850 watt)
GPU: 2x XFX Radeon HD5770 in Crossfire
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair III formula
1 TB hard drive (western digital)
2x LG dvd-ram drives
Cooler Master HAF case
Ran with both Win XP and now with Win 7 64 bit. Same issues.

Now, ever since I built this, I have been getting frequent, random crashes. The symptoms are always the same: The system hangs up, the sound goes into a nasty loop, and there is nothing i can do but force a hard reset. No error messages, no warnings. Other than that, these crashes seem to follow no logical pattern. Sometimes the computer will run fine for 4 hours straight, sometimes there would be two or three of them in a 15 minute period. There is no trigger that i could think of - sometimes it happens when I'm gaming, sometimes when installing, sometimes when I'm browsing the web, and its even happened while idling on the desktop.

All my drivers are up to date, nothing is overclocked, everything is connected up in the most optimal possible way. All my fans are operational and all the temperatures (cpu, gpu) are on good levels. The maximum load i've seen on the GPU or RAM was under 50%. I feel like I've exhausted my options. The problem is I don't know what exactly is causing this. My best guess would be the crossfire 5770s, but its a weak hunch at best. Please help, and thanks for your time =]

EDIT: memtest86+ did not detect a single error
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 5:16:21 PM

Given the sound loop, I'm thinking there's a sound driver conflict. Are you using mobo sound or onboard GPU? You should try completely uninstalling ALL sound drivers, and then only reinstalling the ones you use (and that are the most up to date)
July 15, 2010 5:22:19 PM

I am using the sound card that came with the motherboard (supremefx x-fi)
The drivers on it are installed properly and I am not using any other sound source that I know of. There are no other sound drivers on the mobo, and the only other one i can think of is the HDMI sound driver on the graphics cards. I'm using DVI-D, though, not HDMI.
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 5:26:32 PM

Have you tested with CF disabled or only 1 card installed? See if there's any symptoms. That can narrow the issue down to being CF related.

Also which CCC drivers are you using? I think 10.4 have the least issues right now. And also, you should download the CF profiles (on the driver download page, but for some reason they're not actually included in the driver package).

Is everything at stock? Any monitoring apps installed?
July 15, 2010 5:34:28 PM

I've tried disabling crossfire. I was able to run some games I couldn't with crossfire enabled (WoW, TF2), but I still got that same crash. I already have profiles installed.

My CC version is 10.6, and I downloaded it from XFX directly

everything is at stock. The only things I'm using to monitor are two little desktop wigets to monitor CPU usage and RAM usage, and catalyst to monitor GPUs.

Best solution

a c 125 U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 5:44:55 PM

Hmmm. I definitely think there's gotta be a driver conflict somewhere. Right now I'd say your options are to try uninstalling all your drivers (sound, video), reboot to safe mode and run Driver Sweeper (download before-hand from Guru3D) and sweep all the drivers out. Then reboot and reinstall. Only install the necessary ones.

I don't know a lot about that sound card, but make sure you downloaded the more recent drivers rather than using the install cd. Also, quite often there's new drivers for the actual motherboard (chipset drivers), as well as new BIOS versions. It might help to make sure you have everything updated. You can run Driver Detective to see if anything's not the most up to date. (The free version will scan and show you what needs updating, the pay version just adds the function of downloading them automatically for you)
July 15, 2010 10:38:56 PM

Best answer selected by twofold.
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 10:45:16 PM

Hey, thanks for the "Best Answer" but does that mean it worked?
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 12:50:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!