jackmule7949

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hey everyone,

Up until now I've been doing ok building my first PC,

For the past hour I've been trying to align my MOBO onto my case, but it isn't going so well.
The case, Thermaltake V3 Black Edition, Has a "post" built in the middle of the MOBO stand, designed to automatically align all screw holes if you can get it in, My problem? I cannot my MOBO to be aligned in the middle post. I've been using some brute force pushing the MOBO to the PX2 (The USB/Keyboard/mouse cover) so it would align to the post.

My MOBO is few milimeters from aligning the post in the center. There is a tiny little space available, a gap between the PX2 and MOBO which I cannot put it in place correctly. The Thermaltake v3 has BUMPS for screws to screw in the MOBO, so it's VERY hard to align PLUS The bumps keep gliding through my MOBO as I desperately try to push it in place.

I gave up for the day...Because I'm afraid of damaging the MOBO any further if I kept on trying.

I'm going to sleep now, I hope someone can come up with a solution for me. :ange:

I do not have a microMOBO, I kinda wish I do now.. my case is SO CRAMMED.

This Tigerdirect guy has a PC building demonstration,
He has the EXACT same case that I do, so if you need a closer look on my case, please go on this video and skip to 7:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ETu53QfDwk

His MOBO was so much easier to put.. I think he had a micro MOBO

My MOBO is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LFYYAY

Conclusion:
What can I do to get this MOBO fit in the case? Should I reinsert the Px2 board..(took 30mintues and I got several cuts on my finger as a result.) For a better fit? (IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS PUTTED TOGETHER Right.)

Is there any way I can remove the post in the middle? Or is it more helpful there, I can't find a tool to remove it..

MAIN QUESTION: Should I just keep on applying brute force to get it in the PX2 board? The bumps on the case is really annoying. Or Is there anything else I should do.

I Know this will fit in my case but it's very difficult, I'm a first time builder....Should I just let my friend do it when he comes back from vacation? But then I wouldn't get the feeling of accomplishment.

Someone PLEASEE help me!

I'm stuck at this point!
:cry:

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Ok buddy you were right to stop when you did.

Not entirely sure why it took you 30 minutes to installed the "PX2" board (it's commonly referred to as the I/O shield). So perhaps you've installed it incorrectly and that's why you are having so much trouble.

The I/O shield should be installed from inside the case and gently pushed into place. If you look at this crude drawing from the intel site you should get the idea.

You'll see from that picture that the holes sometimes have metal "pins" sticking out. Personally I flatten all these to avoid them getting in the way of the I/O ports. So pay close attention to see what's going on here.

I'm just going to assume you don't have anything else installed on the motherboard yet. Having the CPU installed is fine but having something like the GPU installed would most certainly interfere with the installation.

Perhaps try again and if you are still stuck then perhaps take some photos and we'll try and see what the problem is.

First and foremost, if it's not working just stop. You'll just risk your motherboard and, by the sounds of it, your fingers.

Many people simply bend the little metal fingers on the i/o shield out of the way.

Lay the case on its side. (I know: "Duh!"). Make sure that the i/o shield is installed properly.

Lift up the front of the motherboard (the side directly opposite the i/o jacks).Work the back edge of the board toward the back side of the case. You want to slide the board in between the vertical fingers to the point where the top of the i/o jacks are against the horizontal fingers of the i/o shield.

You may need a fairly small, fairly long flat tip screwdriver to bend the vertical fingers back enough to slide the jacks in (if you do not bend them much, they will spring back). If you find you need an extra hand or two, enlist a friend. One who has build several computers on his own would be a bonus.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

metal flaps of the third kind, BOOM!