Anonymous
August 19, 2010 3:11:27 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 30 days

BUDGET RANGE: $1500 USD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: FFXIV, Web Surfing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Need everything

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg is fine

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: i7 processor, 5870 (could be convinced to drop down as far as GTX460), 6GB RAM

OVERCLOCKING: Doubtful

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Price-dependent

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 minimum

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Going to be using for FFXIV mainly with general web surfing. Want to have a nice rig that will not have any slow-down and play at medium-high settings.

Had originally made a post regarding getting a similar system from Dell and was hoping to build myself for cheaper with better components but having trouble putting something together. This is the build I made on newegg that was slightly more than Dell.

http://img716.imageshack.us/i/testjt.jpg/

Any advice is much appreciated - *Mods, please delete/close my other post regarding this similar matter*

More about : 1500 gaming build

August 19, 2010 4:57:13 PM

is a monitor supposed to be included in that 1500? and what about mouse/kb?

I wouldn't get an mATX mobo for an ATX case though.

Are you planning on adding another 5870 in the future? If so you'd be better of with a 470 and a bigger psu if not dual 460s will provide much much more power(at least 50percent more) for a similar price.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
August 19, 2010 5:24:24 PM

I would not be planning on adding another card, would be strictly using 1x 5870. The $1500 would need to include the monitor (looking at Samsung 24" for ~$240) mouse and keyboard are what, $30?. So figure $1250-$1300 on the system, excluding the monitor/keyboard/mouse.
m
l
August 19, 2010 5:28:26 PM

I like having a quality kb/mouse I'd look more at 100-150. You're going to be using a lot so it better feel good. So I'd get something very very cheap now and save for something decent.

If you aren't planning on adding another 5870 dual 460s will beat it in every way.

also the mobo you listed is quite old but if you don't need usb3/sata3 it doesn't really matter.
m
l
Anonymous
August 19, 2010 5:58:20 PM

This is what I have so far - could definitely use some tweaking as I'm not sure on the RAM/case...could use advice.

http://yfrog.com/5mtest2ghj

Anything else that could be a better quality/cheaper would be helpful as well.
m
l
August 19, 2010 6:14:21 PM

Somebody_007 said:
is a monitor supposed to be included in that 1500? and what about mouse/kb?

I wouldn't get an mATX mobo for an ATX case though.

Are you planning on adding another 5870 in the future? If so you'd be better of with a 470 and a bigger psu if not dual 460s will provide much much more power(at least 50percent more) for a similar price.
More cards mean more heat, higher temps, and money spend on cooling (Not to mention money spend on a bigger PSU). The 5870 should let him play Crysis on high @ 1980 X 1080.

@ yoyo

You wont need a standard ATX mobo (which costs more - feature for feature), that's why I recommended the Rampage III uATX, the one I use with my 920.

BTW, I use it in a mid tower case. My case measures 18.50" x 7.48" x 17.08". Get a CM 690 / Thermaltake V3 or something. I really don't care. Cases should be 'bout personal choices.

As long as the Mobo is a standard ATX / uATX, it should fit comfortably in any mid / full tower.

If you wanna reduce costs, just go with a $330 GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) - really more than enough for almost everybody. Definitely worth saving a 100 bucks.
m
l
August 19, 2010 6:23:00 PM

calguyhunk said:
More cards mean more heat, higher temps, and money spend on cooling (Not to mention money spend on a bigger PSU). The 5870 should let him play Crysis on high @ 1980 X 1080.

Don't be ridiculous. A 650w psu will handle dual 460s no problem. And higher temps? who cares? Stock cooling will always be sufficient for stock clocks. You can get a fanless mATX case and still have no heat issues. And if it's overclocking you're worried about 460s will overclock better than a 5870 any day. No matter how you look at it. And because the 5870 is good enough doesn't mean you shouldn't get something better for a similar price. And btw I have a 470 and it has trouble with some games if today so more power is definately better.

As for an mATX mobo. It's really not that good a choice. On a an mATX mobo you pay for compactness. Compactness that is unneccesary and that results in worse cooling and less pci-e slots. Do you really want to pay more for less? Sure that ROG board looks hot but is it worth it?
m
l
Anonymous
August 19, 2010 6:28:51 PM

Your link was for the PSU, not a case. What RAM would you recommend?
m
l
August 19, 2010 7:12:51 PM

Somebody_007 said:
Don't be ridiculous. A 650w psu will handle dual 460s no problem. And higher temps? who cares? Stock cooling will always be sufficient for stock clocks. You can get a fanless mATX case and still have no heat issues.
I use my 920 at 3 Ghz on stock with only one case fan. My case came with 3, but I had to detach 2, because every time I switched the thing on, it sounded like a freaking jumbo jet taking off.

But the thing is, that I'm not a hardcore gamer. I don't do many CPU intensive stuff. Running Prime95 for a while gets the temps up to 70, and I feel extremely uncomfortable, though still a long way away from TJ Max.

I'm thinking of adding a Hyper 212+ or something.

Somebody_007 said:
As for an mATX mobo. It's really not that good a choice. On a an mATX mobo you pay for compactness. Compactness that is unneccesary and that results in worse cooling and less pci-e slots. Do you really want to pay more for less? Sure that ROG board looks hot but is it worth it?
The cheapest 1366 ATX Mobo on Newegg from a reputable manufacturer is the $189 MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard AND $175 ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard.

Those boards aren't better than mine. Better value? Maybe if you're on a budget.

The only reason why you wouldn't want my board is if you wanted to triple SLI. That's the only reason you wont go with my Mobo.

The Rampage III also got a much better audio chipset. Just made more sense to me to put down the extra 60 odd bucks. YMMV :) 
m
l
August 19, 2010 7:35:30 PM

70 degrees isn't really an issue. I wouldn't do any overclocks on a stock cooler. I suppose 3gbhz isn't really a big deal though. If you want less noise, better temps or higher clocks you should maybe get a 212+ or scythe mugen2 like you said.

as for the mobo. The rampage III gene isn't a bad mobo by a long stretch. It's definately worth every penny as a mATX mobo. But it'll always be a mATX mobo which gives it limitations. It's not the 3-way sli that concerns me it's just everything that needs a good connection with your PC uses a pci-e connection. Whatever it is from usb3/sata3 adapters to sound cards to lightpeak adapters to 2in1 raid0 SSDs and I'm only getting started. If you don't use the pci-e slots then sure a mATX will serve all your needs but who knows what the future holds? Maybe you'll need usb4 urgently one day and don't want a new mobo then you'll suffer from those limitations.

And as for the sound on that board. It's better then most sure but you can get cheap discrete cards to match or best it so I wouldn't look at that TOO much.
m
l
!