PC Shutting Down W/O Notice

ihniwid

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hey guys,

Recently my PC has been deciding to shut down by itself every so often, once it does it will not turn back on for 10-15 minutes (it flashes on but will not boot). Once I can turn it on it will run for 10-20 minutes and the entire thing will happen again.

I was wondering if it could be a PSU problem? Overheating PSU? Or maybe overheating RAM?

My CPU never goes above 42C, and the internal temp, according to CoreTemp and SpeedFan is around 39-40C.

The shut downs tend to occur under load at first, like while playing a game (Starcraft 2, Left 4 Dead, etc)

My specs are:

Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P Mobo,

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XFX HD-489A-ZDEC Radeon HD 4890 Xtreme 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

and a AMD Phenom 2 720

My case is a NZXT Temptest

-------------

Thank you so much for any help!

Solution
I do believe the issue is your PSU, as you say it just shutdowns without warning.
By disabling the auto-start, if you get a BSOD, it will be on your screen until you manually restart. This will help with troubleshooting. Yes, your PC can be working and just shutdown. Over time it will get worse to the point it won't start at all.

As for RAM, you need to verify your memory is set to the correct (timings, voltage & Mhz) settings in your BIOS to match your sticks than run MemTest86+ overnight to see if you get errors.

tecmo34

Administrator
It sounds like a PSU issue to me, as well. I would recommend disabling the autorestart to see if you can find an error code / BSOD to help pin-point any other possible issues... RAM for example

DiableAutomaticRestart.jpg

ihniwid

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
If it is RAM, and I shange these settings, will it send me a pop up when the error occurs or where do I look?

Also, just a random noob question... I always thought when a PSU went bad the PC just wouldnt turn on. But it is possible that it'll run for awhile and turn off at other times? Will it just being to turn off more frequently if the PSU is at fault?

tecmo34

Administrator
I do believe the issue is your PSU, as you say it just shutdowns without warning.
By disabling the auto-start, if you get a BSOD, it will be on your screen until you manually restart. This will help with troubleshooting. Yes, your PC can be working and just shutdown. Over time it will get worse to the point it won't start at all.

As for RAM, you need to verify your memory is set to the correct (timings, voltage & Mhz) settings in your BIOS to match your sticks than run MemTest86+ overnight to see if you get errors.

Solution

ihniwid

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Where does one find the timings and what not for their RAM, I checked Gskill's site, is it any of this?

CAS_Latency 5-5-5-15-2N
Capacity 2GB (2GB x1)
Speed DDR2-1066 (PC2 8500)
Test_Voltage 2.0~2.1 Volts

Thanks for your help Tecmo =)