Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 with Intel 520 +Vertex 4

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2012 1:11:29 AM

i currently own an intel 520 120 gig ssd and want to buy a Vertex 4 128 gig ssd and put them in raid 0. my question is would this work properly or would i need to get another intel 520? Ive been doing my research on raid 0, but have not found any information to help answer this.

More about : raid intel 520 vertex

a c 86 G Storage
November 22, 2012 1:19:16 AM

You can do this. What are you trying to accomplish? Just more space? You won't really gain mush speed, and you run a greater risk of data loss. If 1 drive fails, you lose the data on both drives so backups become real important.
m
l
November 22, 2012 1:28:41 AM

i plan on buying the vertex 4 anyways. would it be better to run them in Raid 0, or as just 2 separate drives?
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2012 1:43:45 AM

definatly run in raid 0. Whats the chance of the drive failing anyways? and if it does just make sure to backup.
m
l
November 30, 2012 5:52:40 PM

ericjohn004 said:
definatly run in raid 0. Whats the chance of the drive failing anyways? and if it does just make sure to backup.

The failure rate of hard drives is somewhat underestimated, except for among the people who have had it happen to them personally. And with RAID-0, you are doubling whatever mathamatical chance there is of having a failure, and doubling the disk space that would have it's data wiped out at the same time. Add to that the consideration that when in RAID configurations, SSD's do not have the ability to function with TRIM as they were designed to (this has exceptions, but those aren't applicable here).

That said, I run a RAID-0 array with 520-series drives myself. However, I have four working systems I alternate between, and the one in question is soley designed for tinkering, testing, benchmarking and gaming. The only data that could be lost would be applications. I wouldn't even consider running an SSD array if this is going to be a primary-use machine for the OP.

More than just the above that would make me advise against the idea- the reality is that you will actually feel the system is slower in most aspects. Why? The speed of 4k random reads/writes doesn't improve much from single disk configuration, only sequential performance does. At the same time, the motherboard is having to do the work of controlling the RAID stripe and then processing the - reads- it will make boot time noticeably slower by 1-2 seconds in exchange for increasing disk speeds already so fast that lag time cannot be perceived without benchmarks to show it.
m
l
!