Note to map makers: Bottomless maps

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 1, 2005 2:08:04 AM

Killbox. Very important.

I've played several space maps on LMS. The armor can often protect
them from the fall, and then I have to turn on fly and hunt them down.
I can translocate down, but I've got no other way to get back up.

And in one map, Archon would land safely damn near every time. I
really think he was cheating.
January 2, 2005 1:26:14 PM

Todd wrote:
> Killbox. Very important.

True. Although I prefer maps where the scenery doesn't kill you...

> I've played several space maps on LMS. The armor can often protect
> them from the fall, and then I have to turn on fly and hunt them down.
> I can translocate down, but I've got no other way to get back up.

Bind a key to "suicide". Also useful to get from the far end of the map
back to your base quickly.

--
Flash
Anonymous

"Todd" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| Killbox. Very important.
|
| I've played several space maps on LMS. The armor can often protect
| them from the fall, and then I have to turn on fly and hunt them
down.
| I can translocate down, but I've got no other way to get back up.
|
| And in one map, Archon would land safely damn near every time. I
| really think he was cheating.

That darn Archon, I just knew he was a cheater, :) .
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Todd <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in news:8uact05qg3aj08b980lmggclg0koh473nd@
4ax.com:

> Killbox. Very important.
>
> I've played several space maps on LMS. The armor can often protect
> them from the fall, and then I have to turn on fly and hunt them down.
> I can translocate down, but I've got no other way to get back up.

If you're playing LMS, just save the fallen for last (if you live long
enough.) Then translocate down, and once you've killed them the match
should be over, right? So you don't need to get back up.

Or am I not understanding the rules of LMS? I presume "last man standing"
means what it says; am I wrong?

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.

Flash wrote:

> Bind a key to "suicide".

Murphy's Law is worth remembering here.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:27:56 PM

stePH wrote:

> If you're playing LMS, just save the fallen for last (if you live long
> enough.) Then translocate down, and once you've killed them the match
> should be over, right? So you don't need to get back up.
>
> Or am I not understanding the rules of LMS? I presume "last man standing"
> means what it says; am I wrong?

Generally, in LMS, you get a fixed number of respawns. I can't remember
the default number, but you get more than one life.

In any case, hiding is considered bad form in LMS, and hiding by jumping
into an area intended to be unreachable is definitely an exploit. The
player doing so would have an unfair advantage. The more respawns
allowed, the greater the degree of unfairness to that advantage.

One of the improvements in UT2K4 is that in LMS, someone who stays in
one place too long gets flagged as a "camper."
January 11, 2005 5:19:03 PM

"Brian G. Vaughan" <foolishowl_hates_spam@peoplepc.com> wrote in

> stePH wrote:
>
>> If you're playing LMS, just save the fallen for last (if you live
>> long enough.) Then translocate down, and once you've killed them the
>> match should be over, right? So you don't need to get back up.
>>
>> Or am I not understanding the rules of LMS? I presume "last man
>> standing" means what it says; am I wrong?
>
> Generally, in LMS, you get a fixed number of respawns. I can't
> remember the default number, but you get more than one life.

I don't think I've ever actually played it. I just figured it was one
life per player, kind of like a Rocket Arena "pickup" team match only
"every one for himself".

Yeah, sounds like a problem then.

stePH
--