Dell Real-Time strategy PC question

claytondodge9

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I am looking for some help with choosing a pc from Dell. I'm looking to use it for real-time strategy gaming and photo editing. I think real-time strategy games like C&C 3/4 and the Total War games aren't high end graphic intense, is that correct? I'm debating between a refurbished model with faster processor/graphics card vs new with a slower processor but less expensive. For what I want to use it for would I need the faster processor? Also if I customized one would I see much difference by going to a faster graphics card?

The refurbished models have the following choices:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor (3.0GHz, 8MB) ($709) or
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1035T (2.6GHz) ($719)
both with 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450

New model would have either
AMD Athlon™ II X4 630 + ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB ($589) or
AMD Athlon™ II X4 630 + ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB ($639)

Also does memory make much difference, going from 4gb to 6 or 8gb? I've heard that after 4gb there isn't much difference in speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
For gaming - the Athlon II with the 5670 will perform the best I'd say. 5450s sound nice with their 1gb of memory, but they won't do much for games. And for memory, there won't be much of a difference after 4gb, and that difference would only appear in the photo / video side of things, not in games.

Now, for photo editing and that aspect of your computing, the Phenom IIs will obviously be more powerful. You could always add in a graphics card for gaming later.