Sign in with
Your question

Trying to understand XMP, and OCing.

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
June 29, 2011 8:56:38 AM

First allow me to explain what I think I know and please point out any flaws in my understanding. After that I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

I'm interested in running a 2500K processor on this motherboard:

(What I think I know thus far)

The 2500K processor only supports DDR3 memory speeds of 1066 and 1333 any thing higher than that will require an overclock. That can be done manually in the EFI or more imply by using XMP. The problem with either of these, however, is that doing so will disable the turbo boost and idling features of the i5 by forcing it to accommodate the higher memory speeds. It can make sense to get higher speed ram, underclock it for every day use thus getting the benefits of turbo boost, and overclock it when I deem it necessary.

That's what I gather so far. The last thing I'd like to know is if I can get a memory module like this one and underclock it, but get lower CAS timing.

Thanks in advance.

More about : understand xmp ocing

a b } Memory
June 29, 2011 2:41:05 PM

OC the ram does not turn off turbo or idling features. Ram speed is independent from the cpu on sandy bridge.

I would suspect that ram to just underclock to the same as this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Most of the time slower ram can overclock to higher speeds of the same model because it is usual for companies to make the same ram and price it at different speeds.
m
l
June 29, 2011 4:33:00 PM

So are you saying that enabling XMP will allow the processor to support faster RAM, but is not a true OC?
m
l
a b } Memory
June 30, 2011 1:22:53 AM

It is a true OC, (how can there be a fake OC?). The ram OC is separate from the CPU OC for sandy bridge.
m
l
!