1TB SATA HDD
DVD-RW IDE
AMD 64 CPU
1GB RAM
128MB Video Card
420W PSU
2 x RJ45 + 1 O/B

O/S - SLES

About a week ago I thought the PSU had blown on a HTPC that I own that I run as a server. There was no response from the power button and when I stripped the pc and plugged the psu back in all I got was a whinning noise from the psu.

Went out and bought a new, cheap case with a 420w psu (17) as opposed to 52 for a new psu for the HTPC and transferred everything to the new case.

When I plugged in the power to the setup - it booted without me touching anything, would not allow me to switch off with the power button, the reset button seemed to send the fans into overdrive and there is no reaction at all from the rj45's or the USB's (I have a wireless keyboard that uses a USB dongle for use).

I am theorising that the PSU was not the fault but the MOBO or maybe both.

Am I right?

More about : mobo blown

June 29, 2011 12:43:33 PM

You could be, but I've run into that same problem. first thing is, did you plugged the power switch on properly? Might want to double check the cables to make sure!

Second option you should try is to let it boot up, then fait a minute or 2 then press the power button and hold it, (took about 45 seconds for me) and the computer shut down, we had to do this each time we unplugged and replugged the PC.

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2011 12:52:03 PM

Usually psu from stock case have bad effiency, I think your psu not enough power, but I can wrong, if you have problema issued tell us detail you have system spec and brand. Only sugestion.i
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2011 1:05:06 PM

Replace motherboard. Think Gigabyte.
June 29, 2011 2:26:23 PM

henydiah said:
Usually psu from stock case have bad effiency, I think your psu not enough power, but I can wrong, if you have problema issued tell us detail you have system spec and brand. Only sugestion.i

thinking time could be wrong i see. google search i am, where is the pan i can tell. Craazyyyy am are.
!