Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PHENOM II x6

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 4, 2010 11:33:51 PM

Had this CPU for 5 weeks on a ASUS M4A89GTD PRO board Running OCZ3P1600C6LV4GK memory. It will boot sometime make it to desktop then BSOD. On re boot it only activates 5 or less cores and continues to crash. The only way to get it to come up is enter the bios, exit and reset the core activation to 6. Already talked to ASUS, OCZ for timeing issues then AMD. This processor only supports 1333 Mhz ram. Also they said the CPU might be bad. They would RMA it and after reciept 5-7 days later if it tested bad they would send me another one. BUT THE ALSO STATED THAT IF IT WAS INSTALED WITH ANYTHING BUT THEIR HEAT SINK THE WARRANTY WAS VOIDED AND THEY WOULD NOT HONOR IT. Am I the only one out here that didnt know using a high end liquid cooling system would void AMD's warranty? Anybody got any Ideas on the problem or did I just waste $275 for the x6? Light note if I want to take it again I can buy it for $220

More about : phenom

a b à CPUs
November 5, 2010 12:02:04 AM

what version of bios are you running. not all versions support that processor. (If I'm reading this right)

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=fLIjRELzxMxkH2UQ

honestly it doesnt sound like anything is broken.. incompatible or something goofy going on perhaps.
Score
a c 896 à CPUs
November 5, 2010 1:12:59 AM

Take the thermal paste of the original heat sink and send it in with the RMA! They do not know what cooling you install except if you tell them!
Score
Related resources
November 5, 2010 1:45:10 AM

I updated to 1456
Score
November 5, 2010 1:56:31 AM

rand_79 said:
what version of bios are you running. not all versions support that processor. (If I'm reading this right)

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=fLIjRELzxMxkH2UQ

honestly it doesnt sound like anything is broken.. incompatible or something goofy going on perhaps.

Thats what I keep thinking. when the BSOD happens I get a memory dump as it shuts down. OCZ swears the memory is compatable, its also listed on recomended by ASUS on this board. I've set the ram to 1333 but have left the time to auto. The strange thing is if I go to sleep mode it doesnt crash, only when if first boot to the os.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2010 2:14:02 AM

Try adjusting the Timing to 7-7-7-21. Also, make sure your RAM is up to recommend voltage and DO NOT DEACTIVATE NEEDED CORE. I am pretty sure the X6 would hate you by now...not that disabling them would hurt anything.
Score
November 5, 2010 6:43:28 AM

IF CPU doesnt support More than 1333 RAM , so why u have 1600 RAM installed on ur RIG ? CPU is not bad but u can get Core i5 760 for Same Price & much better performance in everything . IF it is Phenom II x6 T1055 !
Score
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2010 7:21:08 AM

Viper98 said:
IF CPU doesnt support More than 1333 RAM , so why u have 1600 RAM installed on ur RIG ? CPU is not bad but u can get Core i5 760 for Same Price & much better performance in everything . IF it is Phenom II x6 T1055 !

What does mean???
His CPU's got nothing to do with his RAM......
His Mobo Supports it just fine.......

Score
November 5, 2010 7:27:06 AM

he Said that his CPU cant support Higher than 1333MHZ . i am not talking about his MOBO .
Score
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2010 7:29:02 AM

Viper98 said:
he Said that his CPU cant support Higher than 1333MHZ . i am not talking about his MOBO .

Well, his Mobo will then clock it down to 1333.......

Score
November 5, 2010 7:31:42 AM

Are u Russian or Ukrainian ? u can Refuse to answer this Question .
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 5, 2010 7:46:59 AM

For the OP......Go to the AI Tweaker in the BIOS in the last section there is a setting called GFX Overclocking
Make sure the Side port Clock Speed is not 1600.... :) 
That's mostly giving you the memory error.
You can also disable it by changing the IG Mode either disable it if you have a addon GPU or then put the right timing there.....
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2010 1:15:47 PM

jimmyK_71 said:
Had this CPU for 5 weeks on a ASUS M4A89GTD PRO board Running OCZ3P1600C6LV4GK memory. It will boot sometime make it to desktop then BSOD. On re boot it only activates 5 or less cores and continues to crash. The only way to get it to come up is enter the bios, exit and reset the core activation to 6. Already talked to ASUS, OCZ for timeing issues then AMD. This processor only supports 1333 Mhz ram. Also they said the CPU might be bad. They would RMA it and after reciept 5-7 days later if it tested bad they would send me another one. BUT THE ALSO STATED THAT IF IT WAS INSTALED WITH ANYTHING BUT THEIR HEAT SINK THE WARRANTY WAS VOIDED AND THEY WOULD NOT HONOR IT. Am I the only one out here that didnt know using a high end liquid cooling system would void AMD's warranty? Anybody got any Ideas on the problem or did I just waste $275 for the x6? Light note if I want to take it again I can buy it for $220

Sounds like you are trying to run your memory out of spec, for the processor. AMD processors are only specd to work with certain speeds of memory because of the hypertransport bus, and yes, most of us know that if you do not use the provided heatsink, you void your warranty. I have said it many times on the forums when people talk about how crappy stock heats are. If they are so crappy, then they would not be provided with your CPU and the manufacture would not warranty them. Then people say but if you want to overclock you need an aftermarket heatsink, and that is true to a point, aftermarket heatsinks can do a better job if you are going to be doing serious overclocking. By the way, overclocking will void the warranty on your CPU as well.

Then you have dishonest lying lowlife scumbags who suggest you try to get something for nothing from the company because you screwed up your hardware by not following their instructions.
Score
November 5, 2010 6:06:08 PM

Viper98 said:

Because I was not aware at the time that I bought it that the memory control was built into the 1090T and it didnot support anything above 1333 Mhz per the AMD Tech. I have read several reviews of the same mobo cpu and 1600 Mhz ram configurations working great.
Score
November 5, 2010 6:08:50 PM

alyoshka said:
For the OP......Go to the AI Tweaker in the BIOS in the last section there is a setting called GFX Overclocking
Make sure the Side port Clock Speed is not 1600.... :) 
That's mostly giving you the memory error.
You can also disable it by changing the IG Mode either disable it if you have a addon GPU or then put the right timing there.....

Thanks I have not tried that yet, I will do so when I get home tonight. Sounds like you've had some experience with this board
Score
November 5, 2010 6:22:46 PM

jitpublisher said:
Sounds like you are trying to run your memory out of spec, for the processor. AMD processors are only specd to work with certain speeds of memory because of the hypertransport bus, and yes, most of us know that if you do not use the provided heatsink, you void your warranty. I have said it many times on the forums when people talk about how crappy stock heats are. If they are so crappy, then they would not be provided with your CPU and the manufacture would not warranty them. Then people say but if you want to overclock you need an aftermarket heatsink, and that is true to a point, aftermarket heatsinks can do a better job if you are going to be doing serious overclocking. By the way, overclocking will void the warranty on your CPU as well.

Then you have dishonest lying lowlife scumbags who suggest you try to get something for nothing from the company because you screwed up your hardware by not following their instructions.

I am not one that buys a rig to overclock or do I overclock mine. I went to a liquid cooling system simply because it was quiter. And it's amazing that all the manufactures are touting overclocking capabilities. And yeah I screwed up and ordered the wrong ram, thats my bad. I'm in manufacturing and we 100% test every unit before it leaves the door, but we still get the occasional bad unit back. And I did void their warranty and I will be the one to eat that if that be the case
Score
November 15, 2010 1:36:21 AM

Best answer selected by jimmyK_71.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2010 5:49:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!