Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Transferring data from HDD to SSD

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2012 2:55:48 AM

So I just got my SSD in the mail but sadly my dad ( who recommended it and was going to help me install it ) isn't going to be home for the holidays. I wanna give it a shot myself though, though it'll be my first time Do you guys have a walkthrough or some advice for transferring my data from my hard drive my 840 Pro SSD?

Also can I keep the hard drive in my computer for additional storage?
a c 324 G Storage
November 22, 2012 5:59:07 PM

Do you have a Windows install DVD? I ask because the best setup is to do a clean installation of Windows on the SSD with the HDD disconnected.

If you don't because it is an branded computer then you can attempt to clone the HDD to the SSD if the amount of used space on the HDD is smaller than the SSD size. I would recommend EaseUS Todo ( http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-so... ) for cloning; although a clean install to the SSD is by far the better choice.

And yes, you can use the HDD for backup once the OS is running on the SSD.
m
l

Best solution

a c 179 G Storage
November 22, 2012 6:12:14 PM

If your current SATA mode is AHCI in the bios, then you can try to clone from your hard drive to the SSD.
Samsung has a ssd magician program that you can download and use to clone. It uses norton ghost.
Or, you could download a 30 day trial copy of Acronis true image and use their clone utility.

If the sata mode is IDE, then a clean install is easiest. AHCI is needed to enable trim.
Export your user files and settings using windows easy transfer. Even to your current hard drive is ok.
Set the sata mode to AHCI and disconnect your old hard drive.
Clean install windows with drivers and updates. With a ssd this is very quick.
Then reattach your HDD and import your settings and files.
Your apps will have to be reinstalled.
After that, you can reformat your old hard drive for storage.

If you do not need the room, put that old hard drive in an external usb enclosure and use it for backups.
Related resources
November 22, 2012 6:34:54 PM

Best answer selected by Daratum.
m
l
November 22, 2012 6:35:41 PM

geofelt said:
If your current SATA mode is AHCI in the bios, then you can try to clone from your hard drive to the SSD.
Samsung has a ssd magician program that you can download and use to clone. It uses norton ghost.
Or, you could download a 30 day trial copy of Acronis true image and use their clone utility.

If the sata mode is IDE, then a clean install is easiest. AHCI is needed to enable trim.
Export your user files and settings using windows easy transfer. Even to your current hard drive is ok.

If you do not need the room, put that old hard drive in an external usb enclosure and use it for backups.

The SSD I have it 256g a I've gotten my current HD down to 200gb of used space so I'll try cloning.
m
l
November 23, 2012 10:20:58 PM

geofelt said:

i know this is dumb. but how do you reformat the old drive for storage?
m
l
a c 179 G Storage
November 23, 2012 10:27:59 PM

tonypizzle said:
i know this is dumb. but how do you reformat the old drive for storage?

Control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management
Should give you some options.

Or... boot from your indows dvd, and it should give you an option to reformat.
m
l
November 24, 2012 1:44:02 AM

thanks! one more question. i have read that you should update the firmware of the ssd. when in the process should i do that?
m
l
a c 179 G Storage
November 24, 2012 1:51:11 AM

tonypizzle said:
thanks! one more question. i have read that you should update the firmware of the ssd. when in the process should i do that?

I think all Samsung 840 pro SSD's will come with current firmware.
If you want, see if an update is available before you try to clone.
A firmware update could possibly impact data.
m
l
November 24, 2012 4:23:48 AM

What cables would I need to connect the SSD to the motherboard? I think I need another set of them.
m
l
a c 179 G Storage
November 24, 2012 4:25:32 PM

Daratum said:
What cables would I need to connect the SSD to the motherboard? I think I need another set of them.

You will need a sata signal cable.
Some ssd's come with one, others don't.
Check the newegg pictures to see.
They are cheap if you need to buy one.

You will also need a psu sata connector, just like any other hard drive.
m
l
a c 179 G Storage
November 25, 2012 2:36:22 PM

The sata cable you linked will connect the ssd to the motherboard.
You may already have some which usually come with the motherboard.

Most likely, you will have a sata power cable already available on your psu.
If, by chance, your psu is old, and only has molex connectors(white 4 pin) then the molex to sata adapter will work.
m
l
November 25, 2012 3:58:01 PM

My HDD is over 100GB more than my SSD can hold, i just waant the OS and steam on the SSD for now. I can MKlink the steam data but need to know how to put OS from HDD to SSD someone suggested just installing the same OS onto the SSD should work?
m
l
November 25, 2012 4:07:41 PM

just watched a video of how to install the SSD on the manufacturers website and it says to install the OS on the SSD and change boot order so that it boots from the SSD not HDD. then just copy over the files...ill give it a go when i get a spare SATA and bracket. Ill get back to you when its done, could be a few days because of work
m
l
November 25, 2012 6:18:22 PM

geofelt said:
The sata cable you linked will connect the ssd to the motherboard.
You may already have some which usually come with the motherboard.

Most likely, you will have a sata power cable already available on your psu.
If, by chance, your psu is old, and only has molex connectors(white 4 pin) then the molex to sata adapter will work.

Which would you reccomed?

I'm afraid that I haven't any cables left from my motherboard.

m
l
!