New Athlon II X3 450 temp readings from the surface of the sun.

Arthan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I just finished assembling my new computer about 1 hour ago. After installing Windows+drivers, I decided to download Everest out of curiosity to monitor temperature. I was surprised (read: terrified) to see that the CPU was running at 80°C (that's 176°F for my american neighbors), and that's just idling on desktop with no activity at all.

I verified the heatsink, it was correctly mounted and the fan is working just fine. My Antec Three Hundred Illusion also has great airflow overall so I don't see why it's going so high. Granted, I'm using stock cooler and paste but still... this can't be normal.

Should I be worried ?

Arthan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I'm positive that the cooler is in the correct position. Checking bios for temperature gave another reading however, 38°C. As soon as I return to Windows and Everest I'm back at 78-80°C.

ares1214

Splendid
The sun is actually quite a decent bit hotter than that. Your CPU is running almost 70x cooler. :D In any event, there are only so many things that could be wrong. Your case has 0 airflow, you mounted it wrong, its defective, its a bad CPU, you did the thermal paste wrong, or theres a problem with the software. Trouble shoot them. Re-apply thermal paste, re-mount cooler, get new software, crack open case and let it run side-less.

1. open your side panel.
2. Touch your CPU heatsink, being careful not to touch anything else

If you can't keep your hand on it for more than 5 seconds, then everest's temperature reading is correct. If it feels cooler than 80*C, then everest is wrong.