New Athlon II X3 450 temp readings from the surface of the sun.

I just finished assembling my new computer about 1 hour ago. After installing Windows+drivers, I decided to download Everest out of curiosity to monitor temperature. I was surprised (read: terrified) to see that the CPU was running at 80°C (that's 176°F for my american neighbors), and that's just idling on desktop with no activity at all.

I verified the heatsink, it was correctly mounted and the fan is working just fine. My Antec Three Hundred Illusion also has great airflow overall so I don't see why it's going so high. Granted, I'm using stock cooler and paste but still... this can't be normal.

Should I be worried ?
7 answers Last reply
More about athlon temp readings surface
  1. I would try removing the cooler and reseating.
    is it possible you have it installed 180degrees off?
    what does the bios say for temp readings?
  2. I'm positive that the cooler is in the correct position. Checking bios for temperature gave another reading however, 38°C. As soon as I return to Windows and Everest I'm back at 78-80°C.
  3. Sounds like the software is not reading the temps properly. try hwmonitor to monitor the temps and see what you get.
  4. The sun is actually quite a decent bit hotter than that. Your CPU is running almost 70x cooler. :D In any event, there are only so many things that could be wrong. Your case has 0 airflow, you mounted it wrong, its defective, its a bad CPU, you did the thermal paste wrong, or theres a problem with the software. Trouble shoot them. Re-apply thermal paste, re-mount cooler, get new software, crack open case and let it run side-less.
  5. Since BIOS reports a different number, I tend to agree with iam2thecrowe. Try CPUID HWMonitor and see what it says.
  6. 1. open your side panel.
    2. Touch your CPU heatsink, being careful not to touch anything else

If you can't keep your hand on it for more than 5 seconds, then everest's temperature reading is correct. If it feels cooler than 80*C, then everest is wrong.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs