yosimba2000

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I have 2 OCZ Gold Series 1 GB RAM sticks that i had for about 1 year now. My mobo wasn't posting, so i decided to test each ram stick. I think I found one faulty stick, because the faulty stick is not capable of being booted with alone. However, if I use both sticks at the same time, I have a hard time getting the mobo to post and getting video signal. And when I finally get it to work, the system still reads 2 GB of ram, instead of 1 GB. So i thought that the "faulty" RAM isn't actually 100% faulty, because it can still be read by the system. It does lock and crash my PC when i play games though, or using MEMTEST86+. If possible, i would like to save myself a few bucks and try to get this RAM "bootable" by itself, and not have it cause any crashes. I can't run MEMTEST86= on that single faulty RAM stick because the MOBO won't post. Is it possible that voltages or timings are causing this? I have not overclocked or modified ANYTHING under the RAM category in the BIOS; I let the mobo decide the settings for me. And if there happens to be no way to save this stick of RAM, could you guys point me to a good and reliable brand that has cheap RAM (i saw in a magazine that they bought 4gb of PATRIOT DDR3 RAM for only 40 bucks. Didn't say where they got it, but could you guys help me find deals like this? And preferably DDR2 RAM from Amazon or Newegg)?

Thank you guys!

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
in general OCZ offers lifetime warranty, so find ur local dealer, call them up and send ur ram in with the receipt.
ddr3 rams tend to be cheaper because they are in production. ddr2's for 4gb (dual channel) is around 60 dollars it seems. u might be able to get ur hands on a second hand for 40 on ebay. or you can buy a slower one from an unknown manufacturer but new.

yosimba2000

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

yes i can use both ddr3 and ddr2, but i prefer ddr2 because it seems cheaper. however, the guy below stated that ddr3 is cheaper because it is in production... i will shop around! thanks guys. and, no way to fix my faulty OCZ? i don't have the reciept anymore.

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

No, you can't really fix it. You should follow Bigbang's advice, though. At least call OCZ and see if they will replace the stick. Most likely they will want to replace the kit (both sticks).

For deals, just to go Newegg and check out "today's deals" and "latest email specials". They almost always have DDR3 for sale these days...

What motherboard do you have that can use both DDR2 and DDR3? I know Asus makes one. There must be only a handlful of those...