Laptop security lock

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
December 7, 2004 2:47:09 PM

I have had a Belkin Combination Lock (model F8E503) for about two
years. It has always worked just fine, until now. I have had the same
combination code the whole time and just recently the lock would not
come off my laptop. The combination is correct and you can't
accidentally change it unless it is unlocked and you push a little
button, which I did not do. I e-mailed Belkin and asked them what to
do and they told me to call a locksmith. Well I have, and none of them
know how to help me or even what I am talking about for that matter.
And the biggest problem is that it is looped around an object that I
cannot move. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Lenny

More about : laptop security lock

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
December 7, 2004 7:41:17 PM

On 7 Dec 2004 11:47:09 -0800, laink19@aol.com wrote:

>I have had a Belkin Combination Lock (model F8E503) for about two
>years. It has always worked just fine, until now. I have had the same
>combination code the whole time and just recently the lock would not
>come off my laptop. The combination is correct and you can't
>accidentally change it unless it is unlocked and you push a little
>button, which I did not do. I e-mailed Belkin and asked them what to
>do and they told me to call a locksmith. Well I have, and none of them
>know how to help me or even what I am talking about for that matter.
>And the biggest problem is that it is looped around an object that I
>cannot move. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
>Lenny

I can't find that model on their global web page so I've little clue
what the lock looks like. They show a keyed lock there that's just a
padlock attached to a cable with loops at both ends. If the lock
itself is one of those resettable combination locks where you select
each digit individually on its own dial (with the proper combo already
set), you can use the old bicycle lock trick of wiggling each digit
while tugging on the lock. That sometimes works if the combination
hasn't been changed, but the lock is just a big worn or corroded.

I doubt the locksmith can repair the lock though. Typically when it
comes to things like this, all they do is bolt cutter it. That frees
the laptop, but destroys the lock -- seems like Belkin is saying you
need to buy a new lock. Usually, it's cheaper just to buy the
boltcutters and do it yourself than pay a locksmith to do it for you.

MCheu
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
December 7, 2004 8:06:57 PM

laink19@aol.com wrote:
>I have had a Belkin Combination Lock (model F8E503) for about two
>years. It has always worked just fine, until now. I have had the same
>combination code the whole time and just recently the lock would not
>come off my laptop.

Sounds like it's time to get out the hacksaw or bolt cutters and take
the remains to a locksmith.
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
December 7, 2004 11:09:37 PM

laink19@aol.com wrote:

> I have had a Belkin Combination Lock (model F8E503) for about two
> years. It has always worked just fine, until now. I have had the same
> combination code the whole time and just recently the lock would not
> come off my laptop. The combination is correct and you can't
> accidentally change it unless it is unlocked and you push a little
> button, which I did not do. I e-mailed Belkin and asked them what to
> do and they told me to call a locksmith. Well I have, and none of them
> know how to help me or even what I am talking about for that matter.
> And the biggest problem is that it is looped around an object that I
> cannot move. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Looks like it's time to get a Dremel
<http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html&gt;.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Try to unlock it by pulling it apart (i.e. the motions you would use to open
it, if the combination were correct) and starting from one end turning the
numbers until it clicks, or gets stuck, and then move on to the next one.
You don't really know which end to start, and you don't really know what the
click means, either, and if you do get it off this way, then you probably
don't want to use it for your laptop, anyway!

I've done it on a pretty secure-looking yale combination lock - so it does
work, sometimes.

Duncan.

<laink19@aol.com> wrote in message
>I have had a Belkin Combination Lock (model F8E503) for about two
> years. It has always worked just fine, until now. I have had the same
> combination code the whole time and just recently the lock would not
> come off my laptop. The combination is correct and you can't
> accidentally change it unless it is unlocked and you push a little
> button, which I did not do. I e-mailed Belkin and asked them what to
> do and they told me to call a locksmith. Well I have, and none of them
> know how to help me or even what I am talking about for that matter.
> And the biggest problem is that it is looped around an object that I
> cannot move. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
> Lenny

April 12, 2012 12:23:44 PM

hi,
first u must try to unlock the laptop once again.if it not, it is better to go through the locksmith services.it is cheap and best to use the services of locksmith due any loss of damage.

http://www.locksmith-in-chicago.com/
May 5, 2012 7:30:04 AM

As per the situation, Try it once. Even if it not working then it will be better to opt for the locksmith service providers,Who are going to do the work perfectly with lowest cost price .

http://www.generallocksmith.com/
!