boeing114

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
So I have this mother board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

I currently have some cheap sticks that are 1067mhz, and only 4gb. I am looking to upgrade to 8 gb, and I want 1600mhz sticks, mostly for when I build my new computer at the beginning of next year, then I'll swap them out again.

This motherboard says that it supports 1600mhz OverClocked. Does that mean I have to mess with something in the bios to make them work?

Yes. But it's easy to manually change the memory speed. If you don't want to try overclocking the cpu, then let it run at 1333. You won't notice the difference in normal applications. I've run at both 1333 and 1600 and couldn't tell the difference. To overclock the ram at 1333, I raise my cpu speed from 200 to 240 and the ram will then run at 1600.

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Yes, you will probably have to change a BIOS setting. Your BIOS will most likely default to 1333. Keep in mind that current memory controllers (it's part of the CPU die) are only rated to 1333 MHz so it is not *guaranteed* that *any* will RAM run at 1600 MHz.

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
No. Your RAM clock is set by your motherboard. It depends on what the FSB:RAM bus ratio is set to. :D Some motherboards let you pick the ram clock (and adjust the ratio for you) and on others you have to adjust the ratio directly.

This doesn't have anything to do with whether your RAM is "1600 MHz" RAM. All that "1600 MHz RAM" means is that the RAM sticks themselves are rated to run at 1600 MHz. If the rest of your system doesn't support that, then you can't actually run them that fast. Does that make sense?

All that said, most people seem to be able to get their 1600 RAM running at 1600 MHz.

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Yeah, that won't be a problem. (no, no internal clock on the memory sticks)

edit: For best results, buy RAM that's been tested by Asus for that motherboard. You can go to the Asus website, look up your motherboard, and then download the memory QVL (qualified vendor list). This is just a really long list of RAM that's been tested with the motherboard. Just find some memory on that list that you like and buy it. Asus does extensive testing so, chances are, most of the memory you're looking at is on the list. Just make sure. :) Also, if you end up deciding between 2x4GB and 4x2GB, get the 2x4GB. All else being equal, it seems like it's overclocks are more stable with fewer sticks.