Sign in with
Your question

Multiple Monitors Connected to a Laptop???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2010 10:54:05 PM

I have a hp laptop with a GeForce 8400M GS GPU. I want to connect 2 external monitors (Samsung Syncmaster and Dell 1901FP) as well as use my laptop's monitor.

The GPU has outputs for HDMI, VGA, and S-video, however, when I connect the 2 monitors (1 by HDMI and 1 by VGA) it says that the GPU only supports 2 monitors! Though, it recognizes that both are connected.

I can connect to each one individually with no problem.

What I want is each monitor to be independent (i.e. I can have a different program running on each monitor, NO mirrored displays).

Is there any way to work around this (maybe through a usb port?) or some type of splitter?

I should also say that 1 external monitor is widescreen while the other is not (I don;t know if this makes a difference).

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 11:48:58 PM

You cannot connect 3 screens to a single nvidia gpu. If you need 3 screens from one gpu, your only option is 5000-series ATI cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 11:57:20 PM

Not sure about your dilema, Im sure if you use google you will find a solution.

Once you get it working, look into "ultramon" it is a must with multiple monitors imo. You can have different resolutions wallpapers and screensavers with ultramon. You cant with default windows settings. utramon gives each monitor its own taskbar as well which is real handy.
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2010 2:00:09 AM

*sigh* thanks for the info. I was hoping there was some way I could at least combine the 2 external monitors as some type of extended desktop.....
m
l
July 16, 2010 5:00:11 PM

if I somehow can connect a monitor via USB, will it still be run through the GPU?
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:43:25 AM

daship said:
Once you get it working, look into "ultramon" it is a must with multiple monitors imo. You can have different resolutions wallpapers and screensavers with ultramon. You cant with default windows settings. utramon gives each monitor its own taskbar as well which is real handy.

I switched from ultramon to Actual Multiple Monitors and highly recommend it. It is a most powerful utility among others and it works fine under Windows 7. The most important feature for me is an additional taskbar on my second monitor that has all features of main taskbar like Start button and tray area with notification icons. Even more, it has Pin to Taskbar feature of Windows 7.
m
l
!