General Protection Fault

I keep getting this GPF, right after I pick a character and right before I
begin to play. UT2004 worked fine when I had Windows 2000.

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

OS: Windows XP 5.1 (Build: 2600)
CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2802 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (6693)

General protection fault!

History: CheckTag <- LoadSummary <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- CheckTag <-
LoadSummary <-
ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- CheckTag <- LoadSummary <-
ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <-
AGameInfo::execSavePackage <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (UT2K4SP_Main
Package.UT2K4SP_Main,
Function GUI2K4.UT2K4SP_Main.btnPlayOnClick) <- UObject::ProcessDelegate <-
UGUIComponent::MouseReleased <- (GUIButton Package.GUIButton) <-
UGUIController::MouseReleased <-
UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent::LeftMouseClick <-
UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessKeyEvent
<-
UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <-
UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <-
UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <-
ULevel::Tick <-
(NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <-
UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
<- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <-
FArray::Realloc
<- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I've got the latest videocard drivers, and the latest soundcard drivers.
I've tried reinstalling UT2004, and closing out all 3rd party apps, and
nothing has worked. I've got dual monitors, but I disabled one of them
thinking that that might be the problem, but it still kicked me out of the
game. I don't have any Logitech hardware, btw.

Thanks,

MC
9 answers Last reply
More about general protection fault

    ModeratelyConfused enlightened us with:
    > I've got the latest videocard drivers, and the latest soundcard
    > drivers. I've tried reinstalling UT2004, and closing out all 3rd
    > party apps, and nothing has worked. I've got dual monitors, but I
    > disabled one of them thinking that that might be the problem, but it
    > still kicked me out of the game. I don't have any Logitech
    > hardware, btw.

    Hmm... is this the only game with trouble? You might check your memory
    using Memtest86.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    > ModeratelyConfused enlightened us with:
    > > I've got the latest videocard drivers, and the latest soundcard
    > > drivers. I've tried reinstalling UT2004, and closing out all 3rd
    > > party apps, and nothing has worked. I've got dual monitors, but I
    > > disabled one of them thinking that that might be the problem, but it
    > > still kicked me out of the game. I don't have any Logitech
    > > hardware, btw.
    >
    > Hmm... is this the only game with trouble? You might check your memory
    > using Memtest86.
    >
    > MeltDown

    I've played the Half-life 2 demo with no problem (graphics are incredible,
    even with my card), and various less graphics card intensive games, like Zoo
    Tycoon, also with no problems. It's weird, I was able to play it before on
    this system, than I went to XP pro, and now I can't play it. I'll do
    Memtest tonight, but I'll try swapping some RAM before that.

    MC

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:40:25 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
    <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:

    >"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    >> ModeratelyConfused enlightened us with:
    >> > I've got the latest videocard drivers, and the latest soundcard
    >> > drivers. I've tried reinstalling UT2004, and closing out all 3rd
    >> > party apps, and nothing has worked. I've got dual monitors, but I
    >> > disabled one of them thinking that that might be the problem, but it
    >> > still kicked me out of the game. I don't have any Logitech
    >> > hardware, btw.
    >>
    >> Hmm... is this the only game with trouble? You might check your memory
    >> using Memtest86.
    >>
    >> MeltDown
    >
    >I've played the Half-life 2 demo with no problem (graphics are incredible,
    >even with my card), and various less graphics card intensive games, like Zoo
    >Tycoon, also with no problems. It's weird, I was able to play it before on
    >this system, than I went to XP pro, and now I can't play it. I'll do
    >Memtest tonight, but I'll try swapping some RAM before that.
    >
    >MC

    Service pack 2 of XP? It introduced a new feature called DEP that is
    giving some problems in UT2004 (and other apps). A web search will
    turn up several ways of turning this feature off. Don't know if this
    is your problem, but if the memory thingy doesn't pan out you could
    give this a shot.

    "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:40:25 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
    > <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:
    >

    > >"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    > >> ModeratelyConfused enlightened us with:
    > >>
    > >> Hmm... is this the only game with trouble? You might check your memory
    > >> using Memtest86.
    > >>
    > >> MeltDown
    > >
    > >I've played the Half-life 2 demo with no problem (graphics are
    incredible,
    > >even with my card), and various less graphics card intensive games, like
    Zoo
    > >Tycoon, also with no problems. It's weird, I was able to play it before
    on
    > >this system, than I went to XP pro, and now I can't play it. I'll do
    > >Memtest tonight, but I'll try swapping some RAM before that.
    > >
    > >MC
    >
    > Service pack 2 of XP? It introduced a new feature called DEP that is
    > giving some problems in UT2004 (and other apps). A web search will
    > turn up several ways of turning this feature off. Don't know if this
    > is your problem, but if the memory thingy doesn't pan out you could
    > give this a shot.

    I forgot to mention that I don't have SP2. I'll let Memtest86 run tonight,
    and see if I have any problems. I did use the same memory to play UT2004
    before though.

    MC
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:09:44 -0800, "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote:
    > I was running an old benchmark (PCMark04) and it puked on the DivX
    > compression part of the test for the same reason. I ended up
    > modifying my boot.ini file to turn it off DEP completely.

    Yep, exactly what I did. Man, I cannot thank you enough for this heads-up. I
    was getting pretty pissed at myself for not being able to run the problem
    down. I really thought I had some kind of boot-level virus that was hiding
    in my BIOS or something. I was about to re-flash as a last resort.

    > I had to take a crash course on XP/SP2 this past week 'cause I chose
    > the start of the new year as the time to finally switch from 2000 Pro.
    > I got a copy of XP from NewEgg with SP2 already included (plus a free
    > hat... w00t!). I must say, it was the smoothest OS install I've ever
    > experienced.

    I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some of
    it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for some
    good help with this. I run a well-butchered XP on my main box but it's
    stable as a rock. That's why this DEP problem was so nice to put to rest.

    Free hat, huh. NOW I'm jealous......
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    goPostal wrote:

    > I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some of
    > it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for
    > some good help with this.

    For a good guide to turning of everything you can try here

    hth

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 10.1 2.6.10

    "sid" <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > goPostal wrote:
    >

    >> I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some of
    >> it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for
    >> some good help with this.
    >
    > For a good guide to turning of everything you can try here
    >
    > http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >
    > hth

    I forgot about that one. It's better than the one I posted. Thanks sid!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:27:34 GMT, sid
    <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >goPostal wrote:
    >

    >> I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some of
    >> it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for
    >> some good help with this.
    >
    >For a good guide to turning of everything you can try here
    >
    >http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >
    >hth

    That's the one I use. Thanks guys.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:27:34 GMT, sid
    > <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >goPostal wrote:
    > >

    > >> I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some
    of
    > >> it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for
    > >> some good help with this.
    > >
    > >For a good guide to turning of everything you can try here
    > >
    > >http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    > >
    > >hth
    >
    > That's the one I use. Thanks guys.

    Yep, BlackViper is the definitive site regarding XP services

Build Video Games