General Protection Fault

Last response: in Video Games
January 1, 2005 3:24:32 PM

I keep getting this GPF, right after I pick a character and right before I
begin to play. UT2004 worked fine when I had Windows 2000.

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

OS: Windows XP 5.1 (Build: 2600)
CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2802 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (6693)

General protection fault!

History: CheckTag <- LoadSummary <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- CheckTag <-
LoadSummary <-
ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- CheckTag <- LoadSummary <-
ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <-
AGameInfo::execSavePackage <- UObject::p rocessEvent <- (UT2K4SP_Main
Package.UT2K4SP_Main,
Function GUI2K4.UT2K4SP_Main.btnPlayOnClick) <- UObject::p rocessDelegate <-
UGUIComponent::MouseReleased <- (GUIButton Package.GUIButton) <-
UGUIController::MouseReleased <-
UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent::LeftMouseClick <-
UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessKeyEvent
<-
UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <-
UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <-
UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <-
ULevel::Tick <-
(NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <-
UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
<- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <-
FArray::Realloc
<- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I've got the latest videocard drivers, and the latest soundcard drivers.
I've tried reinstalling UT2004, and closing out all 3rd party apps, and
nothing has worked. I've got dual monitors, but I disabled one of them
thinking that that might be the problem, but it still kicked me out of the
game. I don't have any Logitech hardware, btw.

Thanks,

MC
January 2, 2005 12:11:45 AM

ModeratelyConfused enlightened us with:
> I've got the latest videocard drivers, and the latest soundcard
> drivers. I've tried reinstalling UT2004, and closing out all 3rd
> party apps, and nothing has worked. I've got dual monitors, but I
> disabled one of them thinking that that might be the problem, but it
> still kicked me out of the game. I don't have any Logitech
> hardware, btw.

Hmm... is this the only game with trouble? You might check your memory
using Memtest86.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:11:46 AM

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
> ModeratelyConfused enlightened us with:
> > I've got the latest videocard drivers, and the latest soundcard
> > drivers. I've tried reinstalling UT2004, and closing out all 3rd
> > party apps, and nothing has worked. I've got dual monitors, but I
> > disabled one of them thinking that that might be the problem, but it
> > still kicked me out of the game. I don't have any Logitech
> > hardware, btw.
>
> Hmm... is this the only game with trouble? You might check your memory
> using Memtest86.
>
> MeltDown

I've played the Half-life 2 demo with no problem (graphics are incredible,
even with my card), and various less graphics card intensive games, like Zoo
Tycoon, also with no problems. It's weird, I was able to play it before on
this system, than I went to XP pro, and now I can't play it. I'll do
Memtest tonight, but I'll try swapping some RAM before that.

MC
January 2, 2005 12:11:47 AM

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:40:25 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
<moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:

>"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
>> ModeratelyConfused enlightened us with:
>> > I've got the latest videocard drivers, and the latest soundcard
>> > drivers. I've tried reinstalling UT2004, and closing out all 3rd
>> > party apps, and nothing has worked. I've got dual monitors, but I
>> > disabled one of them thinking that that might be the problem, but it
>> > still kicked me out of the game. I don't have any Logitech
>> > hardware, btw.
>>
>> Hmm... is this the only game with trouble? You might check your memory
>> using Memtest86.
>>
>> MeltDown
>
>I've played the Half-life 2 demo with no problem (graphics are incredible,
>even with my card), and various less graphics card intensive games, like Zoo
>Tycoon, also with no problems. It's weird, I was able to play it before on
>this system, than I went to XP pro, and now I can't play it. I'll do
>Memtest tonight, but I'll try swapping some RAM before that.
>
>MC

Service pack 2 of XP? It introduced a new feature called DEP that is
giving some problems in UT2004 (and other apps). A web search will
turn up several ways of turning this feature off. Don't know if this
is your problem, but if the memory thingy doesn't pan out you could
give this a shot.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:11:48 AM

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:40:25 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
> <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:
>

> >"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
> >> ModeratelyConfused enlightened us with:
> >>
> >> Hmm... is this the only game with trouble? You might check your memory
> >> using Memtest86.
> >>
> >> MeltDown
> >
> >I've played the Half-life 2 demo with no problem (graphics are
incredible,
> >even with my card), and various less graphics card intensive games, like
Zoo
> >Tycoon, also with no problems. It's weird, I was able to play it before
on
> >this system, than I went to XP pro, and now I can't play it. I'll do
> >Memtest tonight, but I'll try swapping some RAM before that.
> >
> >MC
>
> Service pack 2 of XP? It introduced a new feature called DEP that is
> giving some problems in UT2004 (and other apps). A web search will
> turn up several ways of turning this feature off. Don't know if this
> is your problem, but if the memory thingy doesn't pan out you could
> give this a shot.

I forgot to mention that I don't have SP2. I'll let Memtest86 run tonight,
and see if I have any problems. I did use the same memory to play UT2004
before though.

MC
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 6:28:20 PM

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:09:44 -0800, "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote:
> I was running an old benchmark (PCMark04) and it puked on the DivX
> compression part of the test for the same reason. I ended up
> modifying my boot.ini file to turn it off DEP completely.

Yep, exactly what I did. Man, I cannot thank you enough for this heads-up. I
was getting pretty pissed at myself for not being able to run the problem
down. I really thought I had some kind of boot-level virus that was hiding
in my BIOS or something. I was about to re-flash as a last resort.

> I had to take a crash course on XP/SP2 this past week 'cause I chose
> the start of the new year as the time to finally switch from 2000 Pro.
> I got a copy of XP from NewEgg with SP2 already included (plus a free
> hat... w00t!). I must say, it was the smoothest OS install I've ever
> experienced.

I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some of
it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for some
good help with this. I run a well-butchered XP on my main box but it's
stable as a rock. That's why this DEP problem was so nice to put to rest.

Free hat, huh. NOW I'm jealous......
January 3, 2005 1:27:34 PM

goPostal wrote:

> I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some of
> it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for
> some good help with this.

For a good guide to turning of everything you can try here

hth

--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk 10.1 2.6.10

"sid" <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> goPostal wrote:
>

>> I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some of
>> it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for
>> some good help with this.
>
> For a good guide to turning of everything you can try here
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>
> hth

I forgot about that one. It's better than the one I posted. Thanks sid!
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:58:31 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:27:34 GMT, sid
<sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>goPostal wrote:
>

>> I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some of
>> it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for
>> some good help with this.
>
>For a good guide to turning of everything you can try here
>
>http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>
>hth

That's the one I use. Thanks guys.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:46:34 PM

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
news:D duit0dcq6f07af1o1t0q4564vkbk9a8qu@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:27:34 GMT, sid
> <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >goPostal wrote:
> >

> >> I really like XP, but it will run much smoother and quicker with some
of
> >> it's services disabled and/or removed. Try http://www.tweakxp.com/ for
> >> some good help with this.
> >
> >For a good guide to turning of everything you can try here
> >
> >http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
> >
> >hth
>
> That's the one I use. Thanks guys.

Yep, BlackViper is the definitive site regarding XP services
!