robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Hello everyone,

I've purchased a Corsair 120GB force 3 last week. And it was unfortunate that it has a lot of issues and it was recalled from scan.co.uk. I have returned the ssd today.

Here is my system spec.

GA-X58A-UD7 (rev 1.0)
CORE I7-950
CORSAIR 12GB RAM XMS3
CORSAIR H50
CORSAIR TX850 PSU
XFX ATI 5850 BLACK ED
1 500 GB WD
1 2TB WD Caviar BLACK
1 1TB WD Caviar BLACK

My dilemma is this, I'm still planning to buy another SSD as a replacement but I'm not sure about the following. I did my research as much as I can but can't seem to find a clear answer.

1) Marvel (SATA3) vs ICH10R(SATA2) - my issue here is that Marvell has a bad reputation in terms of drivers and trims. From what I've experience on the Force 3 with freezes and BSODs. I tried running it on SATA2 but I only get half of the specified speed. Honestly, compare to HDD it's still fast but I'm hoping I could experience the actual speed. So I'm a bit reluctant to buy another SATA3 SSD if I will not be able to use the full specs performance. My question here are
* Is it still worth buying a SATA3 SSD if I will only use to on SATA2 header?
* If I buy, let say, 250mb/s SATA2 will I get the whole specs speed or will I also get half or less of the specs. If this is the case then should I just buy a SATA3 with high read/write speed at least even if I got half of e.g. 500mb/s I still have 250mb/s as speed.

2) The price of 120gb ssd is almost the same as 2 64GB SSD. My question here is:
* I'm new to RAID and I can't seem to grasp what it actually means, All I understand is it speeds up performance but what I'm wondering is if I do RAID 0 2 64GB is it equivalent to 120GB space wise? Sorry to be thick...

3) I read about SATA controller cards and RocketRaids.
* Is there any difference? I'm just wondering if I should buy 1 of this to be able to use SATA3 instead of the onboard SATA3.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Roberto.