Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New processor vs Overclock

Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2010 9:35:32 PM

Hey tom's,

I recently picked up a GTX 470 to stick in my Socket 775 rig with a Q6600. It pushes out some great framerates, but I'd like to pick up another one for SLI. I currently don't have my processor overclocked, as my motherboard doesn't allow it. My question is - would it be better to buy a 775 motherboard that will allow me to overclock/use SLI or upgrade to a 1156 processor/motherboard? Would there be a bottleneck if I overclocked the processor significantly?

More about : processor overclock

August 19, 2010 9:41:40 PM

you'll probably see better results with an 1156 cpu/mobo upgrade

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2010 9:53:12 PM

If you get a good OC out of it you shouldnt notice any performance difference, and an OC'ed Q6600 should be a bit better than something like an i5 760 at stock, and it costs a lot less.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2010 10:11:11 PM

Since your mobo doesn't allow OCing, a word of caution. If its a Dell or other "brand name" PC, make sure the CASE (and mobo) is not a BTX case. If so, you will have trouble finding a mobo that fits lol.

Easy way to tell is, when looking at the back of the case, if you mobo's back panel is above (or left of, if case is on its side) the expansion slots, you're good to go with an ATX (or mATX) replacement. If not, you will likely need a new case as well.
August 20, 2010 1:44:31 AM

hunter315 said:
If you get a good OC out of it you shouldnt notice any performance difference, and an OC'ed Q6600 should be a bit better than something like an i5 760 at stock, and it costs a lot less.

I've got liquid cooling because I anticipated being able to overclock, but with no luck - and i just haven't gotten around to buying a new motherboard. I'm sure i could probably squeeze 4ghz out of it easily.
August 20, 2010 1:46:18 AM

Twoboxer said:
Since your mobo doesn't allow OCing, a word of caution. If its a Dell or other "brand name" PC, make sure the CASE (and mobo) is not a BTX case. If so, you will have trouble finding a mobo that fits lol.

Easy way to tell is, when looking at the back of the case, if you mobo's back panel is above (or left of, if case is on its side) the expansion slots, you're good to go with an ATX (or mATX) replacement. If not, you will likely need a new case as well.

My PC is custom-built, not pre-assembled. I have a cheap Intel motherboard which really lacks in special features of any kind. I've got an HAF-932 so I could probably fit even an eATX.
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 4:10:01 AM

My apologies, just wanted to be sure.

I have a 4yr old Dell, my last pre-assembly, with an OC'd QX6700, a great case, hybrid cooling, and a 1000W psu for the 2x8800GTX's it came with. Wanted to upgrade it when the mobo failed, and discovered a BTX mobo that I had never noticed.
August 20, 2010 9:41:34 PM

No need to apologize, I just realized i posted this in the wrong section. Oops :<
August 20, 2010 9:42:05 PM

Best answer selected by Broseidon.
!