Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Benchmark reduced by near 4000 pts. Why?

Last response: in Components
November 5, 2010 5:42:24 AM

Hi!
My Alienware M17x-R2 has dropped about 3700 points in the 3DMark06 benchmarking program for no apparent reason!

TODAY I HAD THIS SCORE:
3d Mark Score: 11625

SM 2.0 Score: 4480
SM 3.0 Score: 5345
CPU: 3569
ATI Driver version: 8.763.0.0

ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO I HAD THIS SCORE:
3d Mark Score: 15395

SM 2.0 Score: 6196
SM 3.0 Score: 7905
CPU: 3583
ATI Driver version: 8.763.0.0

MY SYSTEM IS:
Alienware M17x-R2
Intel Processor i7-820QM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 X2
6gb RAM
Win 7 @ 64bit
(The system has never been overclocked)

Why the drastic change all of the sudden? Everytime I do a 3dMark06benchmark, I got a score in the 11,000 area. I use the default settings.
I called Alienware. I wsa on the phone with them for two hours. They did everything they could. Everything looks perfect, like it should be. BUT, the benchmarking is off. The frame per second are about 21 in the Heaven Bencahmark. Tesselation was at disabled.

A Dell tech came to my house today to put in a new ATI primary card. He was supposed to put in both, but didn't bring the second...he didn't know). Same scores aftre that card was put in.
Tomorrow he will be back with the other card and a new CPU. Hopefully this will work!
All settings in my laptop are the same as they were when I was hitting the mid 15,000 range.
The BIOS is at it's default too.

Any ideas anyone? This sytem already is a replacement from Alienware, I don't want to have to get ANOTHER replacement!

Thank god I just extended my warrenty!!!!

Thank you anyone and all!! I'm stumped...as so is the Alienware Tech!

Mike K :) 
November 5, 2010 8:56:56 AM

How much did the rig cost you?
You should have tried to build your own rig, with the kind of money these chaps cost, other than the looks, there ain't anything that their rigs can do which can't be beaten by a customs rig (self Made) at nearly half the price......
I really wonder why though about your problem, it could be a new update in 3D marks too if they're are still coming out with new scores.....
But from the benchmark it seem only your GPU is going down..... so that's where the problem seems to lie, also check for power being supplied from the PSU, a drop in those voltages could lead to slower functioning PCIe cards.....
Score
November 5, 2010 9:00:08 AM

like dipankar mentioned,re-install 3dmark and see if it helps.Also how's the performance in real time games?

to alyoshka
Well,the OP has a notebook and building a notebook is harder than building a desktop so you are pretty much limited to buy pre-built laptops.
Score
November 5, 2010 9:05:55 AM

Lol..... sorry guys.. I missed that part since his techie was going to come and put in another GPU(actually as the OP says , 2 of them) lol......... I really, sincerely thought it was a Desktop........
My Bad
Score
November 5, 2010 11:40:03 AM

you weren't on battery during the second test?
and
You ensured crossfire was enabled when doing the second test?
Score
November 5, 2010 1:36:31 PM

What about heat, laptops love to get hot. If too hot your system can throttle down in order to cool it's self.
Score
November 6, 2010 9:11:45 AM

Hi!
Thanks for the posts!!
The problem is FIXED! It's easy.....the main ATI card was bad. That's all.
The tech came by today, popped in a new "refurbished" card in placement of the main card...and boom! There ya go! It bench marked back to normal!

I'm happy again!!

Score
November 6, 2010 9:31:22 AM

alyoshka said:
How much did the rig cost you?
You should have tried to build your own rig, with the kind of money these chaps cost, other than the looks, there ain't anything that their rigs can do which can't be beaten by a customs rig (self Made) at nearly half the price......I have to use a laptop because of working onsite with a client.
I really wonder why though about your problem, it could be a new update in 3D marks too if they're are still coming out with new scores.....
But from the benchmark it seem only your GPU is going down..... so that's where the problem seems to lie, also check for power being supplied from the PSU, a drop in those voltages could lead to slower functioning PCIe cards.....
The CPU benchmark didn't move much. They actually gave me a new CPU (same CPU) along with the cards, but that wasn't the problem. The voltages never changed. Crossfire was enabled too. Anyhow, a new main card was the answer. The other one just was a bit faulty.

How much did it cost me?
Well, now that you asked....it cost a tad over $2,400. AND, from the Alienware.com website.

Now you are wondering how I got it for that price. I originally bought the M17x-R1 with the nVidia GTX 260m card, Core 2 duo with the T9600 chip....

Well, I had so many problems with it, and I complained enough, and told them that I can not go without my laptop because I use it for CAD work as a freelancer on an every day basis, and mentioned that it is not good when I am with a client and my laptop wants to have a major attitude like a 16 year teenager, I should get a replacement.
All of this is true by the way, really. Well, I kept the 16 year old part out, but I felt it.
Alienware was really cool to me. They eventually gave me a spec of one system, but ended up sending me something that was brand new (not refurbished)! The additions were a Blu-Ray Reader/Writer Drive, the i7-820QM and the dual 4870 cards. Before, I just had one GTX 260M card and a typical DVD read/write drive. The 1920x1200 screen stayed the same.
So, in the end I got a brand new M17x-R2 that was an $1,100 upgrade from what I originally bought, 11 months after I bought the system. Oh, I got to keep all the stuff that came with the R1 version. The bag, hat, mouse pad and even the ac adapter!

If you buy an Alienware, BUY an extended warranty! I'd be up sh*t creek right now if I did not buy my extended warranty a short time ago! I plan to buy a 2nd at the 10 month period. It could be totally worth it!

This is how I only spent $2,400ish.

You asked. :) 
Score
November 7, 2010 10:27:19 AM

Best answer selected by mkaluski.
Score
November 7, 2010 12:14:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!