Monitor not showing anything after replacing Vid Card and PSU...

Zatheyll

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Decided to put a video card and PSU that was from another system where the motherboard fried into this one computer to make it more powerful, put in the video card and PSU tried to be careful throughout the process, once I put the video card in (PCI-E slot) and the PSU in and plugged in, I booted the computer, didn't show anything on the screen, made sure it was plugged in properly but booted it and still didn't show anything on the screen, just said power save and the screen turned off. So I put back in the old PSU and video card, booted it, booted properly but still nothing showed on the monitor, what's wrong? Anything I can do to get it working again? Any steps I can take to check what I did wrong?

Motherboard: RC410-M

Vid Card: ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Also, the VGA port from the monitor plugs strait in to the motherboard, the plug that comes from the video card is a green square with the word line under it, does this mean that the actual video card isn't used and its plugged in to the integrated card on the motherboard?

The card seperate from the computer plugged into the PCI slot is Conexant RD01-D850

If the vga cable is plugged into the motherboard's back panel, it is using onboard graphics, not any video card.

Once you install a video card, you often need to adjust BIOS to tell the mobo which graphics to use, and/or which to use first.

Conexant doesn't make graphics cards, are you sure . . .

Anyhow, if you want to use a graphics card, the vga cable must plug into the graphics card itself.

Zatheyll

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

Ok, but that doesn't answer why, when I put everything old back in, and plugged it back in, the monitor didn't show anything still, did it fry the motherboard when I plugged the VGA cable into the new video card when I had it in there? Or did I plug the PSU in incorrectly earlier and it did something to the motherboard? I checked the cables, they are plugged in correctly...

Edit: just plugged in the new PSU but didn't put in the new video card and used the old vid card (one intigrated in Mobo), started it up with it plugged in to the monitor, and a blue ish screen with lines in it with the screen kind of shaking and lines going up and down and green colors everywhere (so i guess not a blue screen of death) popped up, what does this mean? Mobo must be working if this is happening...

Reminds me of a TV when the satellite gets knocked out.

Frankly, its difficult from what you have given.

First, please maintain a distinction between a "vid card" ( a separate card for video) and "onboard graphics" which is what your ATI Radeon express video is.

When you put the new stuff in, did you actually put in a VIDEO CARD and plug the vga cable into it? If so, what is the name of that vid card?

When you "put back the old stuff", did you actually put in a vid card? If so, what was its name? if it was a vid card, did you plug the vga cable into it, or did you plug it into the mobo back panel jack as you stated? Or was it really a Conexant modem?

As for your new symptoms, the answer could be yes or no to all of them at this point. But if you are using the onboard graphics with the new psu, and its not working, you may well have caused a mobo problem (because that's where your video chip is). Or maybe what you think is correctly plugged in, isn't. Like one of the power cables to the mobo.