Windows7 stops dead on some games

remlapsirhc

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hi! I recently tried to play Dr Who, which I downloaded from the BBC. Twice at the same spot it came to a dead stop. No warning no shutdown sequence, just a dead stop. I have had similar stops on other games, but do not know where to begin to sort it out. The Graphics drivers are up to date.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
It helps to list entire system specs. Without them it could be something as simple as your PSU isn't big enough for your computer and you are overdrawing the 12V rail.

The other thing to do is check your temperatures with a program like HWMonitor. You could be overheating and the computer just shutting down.

Did you recently add/change hardware?

remlapsirhc

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
This is a less than one year old Pentium Dual Core PC 3.20 Ghz with 4.00 Gb Ram. Intel G41 express Chipset (Adapter Ram 1.75Gb). As the failure occurs at exactly the same point I do not suspect overheating, nothing else causes this failure, only some games! There are no hardware additions except mouse keyboard and monitor.

As the failure occurs at exactly the same point I do suspect a problem with the game.
This is especially true since it only happens with some games.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Go to Control Panel->System->Advanced system settings->Advanced

click the settings button within the "Startup and Recovery" group box.

Make sure that "Automatically restart" is unchecked, and that "Write debugging information" is set to Kernel memory dump.

Make your computer crash and post here with information gained and maybe someone can help you.

remlapsirhc

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

It does not automatically restart now, will it make any difference if I do as you suggest and uncheck "Automatically Restart?" It is already set to Kernel memory dump.