Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What brand of RAM is better?

Last response: in Memory
June 30, 2011 1:29:43 AM

As the title says I'm deciding which brand to buy.

More about : brand ram

June 30, 2011 3:50:06 AM

I have only bought G.Skill the last 3-4 years. Probably 10-15 kits for my and other peoples machines and none have went bad. I just bought an 8GB kit of G.Skill Ripjaws X and am anxious to see how it does once my new board arrives. I've also heard alot of good things about Corsairs Vengance line. There's 2 for ya.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 1, 2011 8:34:21 PM

G.Skill is one of the best, especially for the price. Patriot and Corsair tend to be more expensive than G.Skill and Kingston, and for no real apparent reason. IMO I would stick with G.Skill simply because it's not very expensive.
July 1, 2011 8:45:39 PM

they are all about the same price. g.skill has just got better spd timings atm. they got some good engineers at work or whatnot
m
l
July 7, 2011 4:54:35 AM

Best answer selected by tmcl.
m
l
July 7, 2011 7:13:13 AM

I don't trust G.skill after reading one of their newegg responses. The guy purchased two 8GB (2x4GB) upgrade kits and they didn't work together in his PC. They would work individually but together the timings were out of whack. G.Skill's answer was "you purchased a 8GB upgrade kit, you should purchase a 16GB upgrade kit if you want to run 16GB of memory, that kit is only tested to work at 8GB" and they wouldn't help him.

Now I don't care how you slice it, that is horrible customer service and seeing as I wanted to do the exact same thing (4x4GB sticks) I chose to instead purchase a corsair kit.
m
l
July 7, 2011 7:46:35 AM

well g.skillz needs skilled user to understand what rams to buy. not an uninteresting selling point for me
m
l
July 7, 2011 1:18:52 PM

palladin9479 said:
I don't trust G.skill after reading one of their newegg responses. The guy purchased two 8GB (2x4GB) upgrade kits and they didn't work together in his PC. They would work individually but together the timings were out of whack. G.Skill's answer was "you purchased a 8GB upgrade kit, you should purchase a 16GB upgrade kit if you want to run 16GB of memory, that kit is only tested to work at 8GB" and they wouldn't help him.

Now I don't care how you slice it, that is horrible customer service and seeing as I wanted to do the exact same thing (4x4GB sticks) I chose to instead purchase a corsair kit.

Their CS is actually pretty good - they're one of the few companies that responds to Newegg reviews and issues a claim ticket then. Realize that they aren't based in the US, so they generally don't understand your problem until you explain it to them directly (via the claim ticket they leave in their response). Their RAM is also lifetime warrantied.

I'm running two 2x4 kits right now with no issues. Problems can arise, especially if the guy A) bought 2 kits that didn't have the exact same timings and latencies, or B) one of the kits was faulty (i.e. timings were off or something along those lines). He could check their timings and RMA one of the kits if they didn't work.
m
l
July 7, 2011 1:25:57 PM

As I said I was put off by the attitude from the response, that the guy had done something wrong by purchasing two 2X4GB kits instead of a single 4x4GB kit. Which we all know to be complete bunk. Even if the two kits had different timings the system would default to lowest common denominator.

Again not knocking their product, but the response was completely out of line.
m
l
July 7, 2011 1:56:41 PM

Their CS is all Chinese, so A) their English (and phrasing) is bad, and B) their interpretation of our English is probably not the intended meaning of what we write. It's just stuff that's lost in translation.
m
l
!