[Solved] Cant see anything after RAM upgrade

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Hi there

I went to buy 8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. The seller provided me with the options HyperX, G.Skill, and Corsair... I asked him, which is the best, he told me to go for G.Skill. After I got home and installed it, I saw the package and it said, designed for second generation of intel core processors...

The model of the ram is: G.Skill RipJaws F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL / F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=355

The problem: After installation, I turned on the PSU and turned on the computer, and waited for the CPU Fan to start spinning. This whole time i was looking at my screen as well. I waited 5 sec and more nothing showed up.

My system:

Mobo: ASUS Republic of Gamer Crosshair IV Formula w/890FX chip
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Previous RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 MHz

The system prior to ram upgrade was overclocked to 3.9 GHz using the presets from BIOS menu and was tested for 1 hour for stability using AMD's Overdrive stability test.

I tried to put back the original Kingston RAM, but the problem remains. I cant see anything on the screen and the CPU fan is not starting to spin. I have tried to remove the battery for 1 min to reset the bios but that has not helped either.

Thanks in advance

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Update: As mentioned, i put back my original HyperX rams and yet could not see anything after i turned the computer (nor the CPU fan start spinning).

However, I swapped the RAMs (swap the two 2GB hyperX rams). Then when i turned the computer, the CPU fan start spinning and managed to get back into the beginning screen which ask press "delete" to get into BIOS menu... I got into BIOS menu and restored stuff to default however, now I cant boot into Windows. It gives me Boot Error..

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
never mind, the problem is fixed now. Here is what happened after i managed to get access to bios menu:

I set things to default within BIOS. However, the default set up for booting was one of the hard disk that did not have windows on ... sigh.. facepalm @ myself

Thanks for reading. Lesson learned, next time, read packaging carefully.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
After reading more, I think I should be able to make these ram work with my system after manually adjusting the timing.

This ram has the following timing: 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V

my motherboard supports 9-9-9-24 from G.Skills but for 2x2 GB @ 1.35V, for 3x2GB @ 1.65V...

Do you guys know what should i set my voltage to for 2x4GB?

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
No ram adjustment was needed. I ended up RESETTING the BIOS while my original RAM was installed. Then, I removed the original KINGSTON rams and inserted the new G.Skills RAMs. The motherboard automatically adjusted the timing because all the errors and blinking LED on motherboard (those that signalled RAM conflict) went away.

Fivepike

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Does that mean you did end up getting the G.Skills to work? I saw that they were designed for second generation intel i series as well, but I was hoping I could use it on my old system, even if not running at peak performance, until I get around to a full upgrade, to stop me having to pay for ram twice.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah the RAM works fine. The reason my system wasnt booting was due to overclock settings on previous RAM. Basically, I had my system overclocked and when I did the RAM upgrade, i forgot to restore my system to default settings. This meant that when I inserted the new RAM, it tried to automatically set the timings of the NEW ram to the previous one and that caused conflict. Once i reset the BIOS, and reinstalled the RAM, it worked fine. There are no issues.

fslateef

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
@ Parsian,
Are you sure that your RAM automatically configured at 1600MHz frequency ? As I think the default setting is 1333MHz.

@ Fivepike,
I am also using G.Skill RAM on my 1090T AMD machine and its working fine. So it works with AMD also :)

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
@ Fslateef

ram2.png

ram1.png