Sign in with
Your question

Motherboards with integrated GPU's

Last response: in CPUs
November 5, 2010 9:38:00 AM

Since I've been looking at both the i5 and PII 965 I've noticed that a lot of the AMD mobo's have a built in HD4250... My main point being, would there be any reason to not get one of these if I end up going the AMD route?

Only bonus I can see is that if the GPU decides to die it's a steady backup graphics adapter. But other than that.. Nothing.

For example:

Lets say we have two motherboards, one with the graphics and one without. Lets go with one of the ASUS ones just for this theoretical stuff. For all intents and purposes they will both have the same I/O ports, an 880 chipset (it's the one I'd aim for if buying AMD) and all speeds etc are the same. Maybe ~50/100 difference.

Motherboard with GPU: £90
Slightly different motherboard without: £90

So whats the downside here, there must be one with having a GPU onboard for 'free'
November 5, 2010 9:39:17 AM

Why can't I edit my damn post?

*edit* The difference will be minimal. No point confusing this more than it already is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 10:56:23 AM

On-board graphics is nice to have for just what you mentioned, as a back up or for troubleshooting. If a board has all the features you like, there is really no reason not to buy a board with on-board graphics.
m
l
Related resources
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 11:17:26 AM

Make sure that everything else is indeed equal. Do both boards have solid caps? How many phases on the voltage regulator? Similar heat sinks? Number of RAM slots?
m
l
November 5, 2010 11:36:49 AM

Both have 4 ram slots, I'll have to get back to you with voltage info. The heat sinks are similar however the model with the onboard has one that is larger. By process of elimination that would be where the HD4250 is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 1:27:39 PM

In all the time I've been tinkering with computers, I've never killed a video card. On board video can come in handy if you don't require a discrete video card, or you like to sell and upgrade your card often.

Like said above, I would be more worried about the build quality. If you going to overclock good voltage regulation will make a big difference.
m
l
November 5, 2010 1:30:49 PM

sportsfanboy said:
In all the time I've been tinkering with computers, I've never killed a video card. On board video can come in handy if you don't require a discrete video card, or you like to sell and upgrade your card often.

I agree with that, I've only ever killed one card which was my own fault entirely. I was replacing an old one, dropped it on the laminate floor. Thought, oh *** that was close. Stuck it back in to see if it was reusable and nothing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2010 3:43:55 AM

Buy the one with the IGP. IGPs have saved me lots of hassle over the years.

Once my X1650 pro died on me and I only it had a floppy drive that I could use to hand my assignment in. Thanks to the IGP I could finish the assignment. (Yes, back in the time where my school only accepted floppies (2006)
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 6, 2010 1:37:15 PM

I think I'd take the IGP also. And hey AFG, I haven't seen you around in a long time.
m
l
!