Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is there anyway I can run my WD Caviar Green @ 7200RPM?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2012 12:54:58 PM

Hey guys,
I recently found out that these green caviar disks by WD really run at 5400RPM when not heavily used to conserve energy which is really starting to piss me off.
I have 2 drives of the damn thing and I was wondering if there was a way to make them run at full speed of 7200RPM at all times. I don't give a rats anus about energy saving. GIVE ME THE POWER!!!!

Thanks o.o
a c 91 G Storage
November 22, 2012 2:23:32 PM

This:
"Recommended use.
WD Green hard drives are tested and recommended for use in PCs as secondary storage, external enclosures and other applications that require cool and quiet operation.* "

is right on their website here:
http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=780

These drives aren't meant for primary storage on a pc. If you want a more powerful HDD, you should buy a more powerful HDD
m
l
November 22, 2012 5:05:11 PM

ss202sl said:
This:
"Recommended use.
WD Green hard drives are tested and recommended for use in PCs as secondary storage, external enclosures and other applications that require cool and quiet operation.* "

is right on their website here:
http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=780

These drives aren't meant for primary storage on a pc. If you want a more powerful HDD, you should buy a more powerful HDD

I know that. I'm not using them as primary. I have a 480GB SSD. It's just I have noticed some lag spikes when I try to access them for example or copy files to them etc.
I notice that there is about 1-2 seconds lag before any operation can do in them.
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 G Storage
November 22, 2012 5:24:57 PM

XYMan said:
I know that. I'm not using them as primary. I have a 480GB SSD. It's just I have noticed some lag spikes when I try to access them for example or copy files to them etc.
I notice that there is about 1-2 seconds lag before any operation can do in them.
That's normal for those drives because they park the heads so fast. They are best used for backup that is not accessed as often. There is nothing that you can do about it since the WDidle3 software no longer works on the drives to change their factory settings.
m
l
Anonymous
November 22, 2012 5:32:17 PM

Your drives are spinning down. Go to power settings and set the power down HDD to 0 minutes, then they wont power down and you wont get the few seconds lag when you access them after a while!
m
l
November 22, 2012 5:32:39 PM

RealBeast said:
That's normal for those drives because they park the heads so fast. They are best used for backup that is not accessed as often. There is nothing that you can do about it since the WDidle3 software no longer works on the drives to change their factory settings.

Well butter my ass and call me Samantha. I guess I'll stick to Seagate's drives for storage from now on then.
m
l
November 22, 2012 5:37:16 PM

Anonymous said:
Your drives are spinning down. Go to power settings and set the power down HDD to 0 minutes, then they wont power down and you wont get the few seconds lag when you access them after a while!

Oh damn, son. I'll try that, thanks. But does turning off the HDD mean is to make it spin @ 5400 or is that an entirely different action the HDD takes?
m
l

Best solution

a c 323 G Storage
November 23, 2012 3:24:31 AM

@XYMan, you have been misled by WD's IntelliPower marketing nonsense.

WD's Green drives spin at a "fixed, invariable RPM". This speed is fixed at 5400 RPM, no matter what the drive is doing.

According to the fine print in the spec sheet, IntelliPower is "a fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. For each WD Green drive model, WD may use a different, invariable RPM."

WD Green Mobile Series Disti Spec Sheet:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/287...
November 23, 2012 3:44:14 AM

fzabkar said:
@XYMan, you have been misled by WD's IntelliPower marketing nonsense.

WD's Green drives spin at a "fixed, invariable RPM". This speed is fixed at 5400 RPM, no matter what the drive is doing.

According to the fine print in the spec sheet, IntelliPower is "a fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. For each WD Green drive model, WD may use a different, invariable RPM."

WD Green Mobile Series Disti Spec Sheet:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/287...

Goddamn it. This crap ALWAYS happen to me. Why do they put 7200RPM on the label if the speed is mostly fixed at lower RPMs?? GOD!! D:
Thanks for the answer, I'll definitely get the Seagate 3TB for storage and I'm also getting 2xSSDs for RAID0 too :D 
m
l
November 23, 2012 3:44:23 AM

Best answer selected by XYMan.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
November 23, 2012 9:10:19 AM

If only we could overclock our hard-drives...
Heard that there is something along these lines with SSD's and tweaking the firmware, but wouldn't try it.
m
l
!